Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

ESD - Dissipative foam on a seat for where the people sit at benches

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I'm looking for solutions for a manufacturing team where the people sit at benches, but the nature of the work makes it clumsy to wear a wrist strap. ESD smocks are one option, but I'm wondering whether using dissipative foam on the seat of the chair would be an effective means of rendering the worker static free? I'm not a EE so I'm not sure whether there are ratings on foam vs. straps etc.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm looking for solutions for a manufacturing team where the people sit at benches, but the nature of the work makes it clumsy to wear a wrist strap. ESD smocks are one option, but I'm wondering whether using dissipative foam on the seat of the chair would be an effective means of rendering the worker static free? I'm not a EE so I'm not sure whether there are ratings on foam vs. straps etc.
ESD smocks alone or dissipative seats will not be a solution. There must be a path for the static charge from the worker to ground.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Have you looked at companies like AllSpec? There are quite a few products available.

Do note, however, that an ESD solution is typically comprised of a "set" of products functioning a certain way...just buying a smock doesn't get it done...how does the smock ground the person, and how is the smock grounded...how is the seat grounded, and what is the path from person to chair, etc...

Most companies offering this type of product have decently knowledgeable tech support that can help design a complete solution, rather than just buying a product...HTH

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
A thought based on this...
but the nature of the work makes it clumsy to wear a wrist strap
If the wrist strap is clumsy, but a smock with essentially two wrist straps built in is OK...it makes me think that it is not the wrist strap that is clumsy but the attached grounding cord...is this correct?

If so, simply getting a longer cord that can go up the arm, down the waist and clip to ground seems to be all that you need (provided that it still meets the references Al gave).

The only particular difference I see between a normal wrist strap and the gown you link to is where the grounding cord goes...wrist-to-table or hip-to-table. (And I am assuming that the gown has standard wrist strap(s) built in.)

Top Bottom