ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) program fits in with ISO 9001:2000

J

Jimmy Olson

Hello again everyone. This is an off the wall question and I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but I figured I would try.

I am interested in hearing thoughts about how an ESD program fits in with ISO 9001:2000. I've seen references about ESD programs being compliant with ISO 9001 and the ESD programs can help with ISO certification. To me this doesn't make much sense.

I know that an ESD program should be part of the quality system and as part of that the program records would fall under ISO requirements, but the program itself is not subject to ISO. I may be looking at this wrong, or looking to deep into it.

I am incorporating an ESD program into the overall quality system. I would be interested in hearing from anyone how ISO auditors look at ESD programs (where applicable). I would think that if the program suits your needs and fits in with your quality system that ISO doesn't really matter (other than the documentation part). Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris May

Richard,

As you are looking at ESD may I assume that you are involved in electronics manufacturing ? (as I am).

As you are also probably aware, static can cause various failure modes if EPA's are not controlled properly.

So, the way I approached it was under the guise of 8.5.3 Preventive Action (!?).
It could be argued that 6.3 & 6.4 are also associated and maybe 7.1

The ESD awareness/training can be dealt with via 6.2.2

Each EPA (electrostatically protected area) has to be audited for compliance, so I have included the ESD audits into my ISO audit schedule.
Obviously different audit sheets are required.

The records and documentation are controlled as per ISO 9K2K.

Grab a copy of BS EN 61340-5-1:2001 and also BS EN 61340-5-2:2001.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris

H

HFowler

Richard,

We are implementing a formal ESD Control Program in order to comply with clause 7.5.5 of ISO 9001:2000. Without ESD Control, I don't think we could comply.

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

R

RosieA

Richard,

ESD is falls under 4.9, Process Control and 4.15.5, Preservation inthe 1994 standard, and under 6.4, Work environment and 7.5.5, Preservation of product in the 2000 rev.

I don't know how you'd pass an ISO audit if you work with ESD sensitive components and don't have an ESD program.

Another good standard to look at, in addition to the ones Chris mentioned, is ANSI/ESD S20.20-1999. Very helpful in addressing the components of your program.

Top Bottom