ESD Floor Wax on standard tile

B

Bunny

After many years of using an ESD Floor Wax on standard tile, it is now being asked whether or not the Floor must somehow be grounded (with a cable). Can someone please explain if a cable is required to make ESD floor wax effective?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: ESD Floor Wax

Have you tested the floor and have objective evidence that it meets requirements?

B

Bunny

Yes. We test with a resistivity meter. I am not sure if that answers this person's question about whether or nor a cable to ground is still required.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes. We test with a resistivity meter. I am not sure if that answers this person's question about whether or nor a cable to ground is still required.

Time to educate another individual but more important - is your customer accepting your method?

I am sure that you also have the benches grounded and the individual wear smock , ESD shoes or equivalent straps, and Wrists straps - (as appropriate) so go and teach other people how is it done and verified.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
ESD floor wax is all well and good, but there is a lot that can go wrong with it so other control methods are more reliable and should take priority as operational controls.
:2cents:

P

PaulJSmith

I agree with Jennifer. The floor wax is secondary to the systems in place to mitigate ESD at the stations where the work is done. That is where most problems will occur.

If the floor wax is your primary (or only) ground, then I'm going to suggest that you should probably investigate a better system. If not, I wouldn't put too much energy into it, especially if it hasn't been a problem.

Top Bottom