Essential Performance in IEC 3rd edition of the 60601-1

A

aeropel

Hello,

To the best of what I know - it is now in the 3rd edition of the 60601-1 that essential performance has become an important issue. I do not recall to have been asked for it ( by the NB) in the previous version of the standard though it exisetd also in the older particular standrads.
Is it true?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Re: Essential Performance

To the best of what I know - it is now in the 3rd edition of the 60601-1 that essential performance has become an important issue. I do not recall to have been asked for it ( by the NB) in the previous version of the standard though it exisetd also in the older particular standrads.
Is it true?
The third edition introduced formal requirements for essential performance.

Some second edition particulars used the term, but without a clear definition or requirement.

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator

There are many old particulars with "performance" tests, for example IEC 60601-2-51 for diagnostic ECGs.

The difference is that term "essential performance" is now defined, and should be the output of the risk management process.

Since ISO 14971 states "... the policy for determining criteria for risk acceptability ... shall ensure that criteria are based upon ... relevant International Standards", when put together with the definition for essential performance, it effectively means that if an international standard includes performance criteria, it automatically becomes "essential performance".

A

aeropel

If I am not supposed to comply with the 3rd edition iof IEC 60601-1 (bcause of particulars that are not yet the OJ) I undertsatn that I continue to use the "old" 60601-1 2nd edition and the eseential performance is a non defined issue.
Am I right in this assumption?

Thanks

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention, essential performance already exists under the EMC standard even with the 2nd edition.

In the context of the MDD, there is still an essential requirement which covers this issue (performance under the stresses of normal use, see essential requirement No. 4). But that is something previously handled under ISO 13485, ISO 14971 and others.

So, I guess your question really is, do you need to consider "essential performance" in the context of IEC 60601 2nd edition based reports. The answer there is, only for EMC.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

If I am not supposed to comply with the 3rd edition iof IEC 60601-1 (bcause of particulars that are not yet the OJ) I undertsatn that I continue to use the "old" 60601-1 2nd edition and the eseential performance is a non defined issue.
Am I right in this assumption?
Well, you are not supposed to comply with any standard anyway, as they are voluntary :)

Anyway, if you use IEC 60601 to gain presumption of conformity with the essential requirements, yes, the idea is that the need to use the third edition is linked to the harmonization of the particular standard, so you will need to update to the third edition only after the particular has been harmonized.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D IEC 60601-1-2: Is EMC immunity testing required for a device without essential performance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
W IEC 60601 - Essential performance c.2.34 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
shimonv IEC 60601-1 Essential Performance - Is the signal accuracy specification an essential requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D IEC 60601-1 - Essential performance doesn't make sense IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
D IEC 60601-1 - Performance limits for essential performance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K IEC 60601-1 and Essential Performance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M IEC 60601 - Limits of agreement as Essential Performance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D IEC 60601-2-44: 202.101 Immunity Testing of Essential Performance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
L "Potential" Essential Performance in IEC 60601-2-54 (Definition) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
S Link Between Essential Performance Requirements and Essential Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Essential performance and EMC immunity testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed changes to medical device essential principles for safety and performance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Essential Performance of a Cone Beam Computed Tomography Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Essential performance, accompanying documents....confused IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R Essential Performance of Mechanical Device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E Particular standards, essential performance in EMC Immunity Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M "Basic Safety" versus "Essential Performance" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
I Defending "No Essential Performance" for a Surgical Video Camera IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
L ISO 14971 - Annex C question C.2.34 "Essential performance" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
U Defining Essential Performance to Achieve Freedom from Unacceptable Risk IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
P Essential MDR documents IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 0
L Essential Design Outputs for SAMD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
normhowe Why is RCA essential? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
Bev D Essential References for Practical Quality Engineering Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
C Essential Design Output(s) and Design transfer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
K Comparison essential requirements EU compared to those of MDSAP countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Informational TGA – Essential principles checklist (medical devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Brazil and Japan - Essential requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Informational TGA Webinar: Essential Principles to software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z In which country is essential to have and IEC 60601 CB Report? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C CMDR Essential (Safety & Effectiveness) Requirements Checklist? Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
D Essential Requirements Checklist for Standalone Software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Essential requirements checklist needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Medical Device Changes and How to Assess Their Impacts to Essential Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Essential Requirement Checklist For Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Policies Mandatory or essential for ISO 27001 implementation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
K Essential Requirements Checklist references EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K New Product Essential Requirements Cheat Sheet EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Regarding Essential Requirements Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Is it essential to do the Fractional Test for ETO Revalidation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D What are the Essential Quality Books in the last 15 years Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
G Audit of essential QMS processes General Auditing Discussions 11
somashekar GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) essential information URL Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Project Specific Documentation - Completion and filing of all essential records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Essential Requirements Checklist w/o ISO 13485 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
S Innovation in ER (Essential Requirements) Checklists EU Medical Device Regulations 6