Establishing a monthly scrap cost target

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Hello! I'm working for a small company which manufactures electrical accessories. We've been tracking our scrap products qty and cost associated with it through our SAP system. Since i have all the data, I'd like to set a realistic scrap cost target or scrap qty target based on the record of previous months data. I tried using "forecast by one period" by adding linear trendline in excel sheet but it doesn't help me much in setting a target for following month. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me in order to set realistic goals?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Standard element of setting product sells price is determination of organizational costs related to its manufacturing. One of direct costs elements is expected maximum scrap value. This is a natural goal. When you achieve it, you can start think about improvement setting "-1%", "-2%", ... goals.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hello! I'm working for a small company which manufactures electrical accessories. We've been tracking our scrap products qty and cost associated with it through our SAP system. Since i have all the data, I'd like to set a realistic scrap cost target or scrap qty target based on the record of previous months data. I tried using "forecast by one period" by adding linear trendline in excel sheet but it doesn't help me much in setting a target for following month. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me in order to set realistic goals?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

This article may interest you:

How Do You Set Improvement Goals for Lean Manufacturing Operations? | IndustryWeek

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Most of the smaller shops I've worked in, less than 100 employees, use a <3-5% monthly scrap goal. My current shop sits at 50 employees and when I came on 3 years ago they had no QMS at all. I started with a monthly goal of <5%, then later it was changed to <3%, and now we are sticking with <2%. We can use our ERP software to break it down even further by employee, by machine, by part, et cetera. Occasionally we do that but unless we have something that make us want to dig in we stick with a shop wide percentage.

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Some type of percentage reduction? Say 5 or 10%
Well, the only problem i find with setting ambiguous goals is that there's always someone who asks "Why 5%? Why not go for 50%?". However, If I'm able to provide a target based on previous data, I believe it's more realistic to achieve and the workforce believes that we CAN reach the target.

normzone

Two things going on here - how is the scrap number defined, and what are the root causes.

My experience in my last outfit, a computer equipment design and assembly house, saw .5% of sales as a scrap average. After a while others wanted to look at the number differently and took over that calculation, but that remained the average no matter what you called it or how it was figured.

As for reducing that number, you need to have correctable challenges and clearly identified root causes if anything is going to change. At some point after all the low hanging fruit has been fixed, you are left with the inevitable cost of doing business in an electronic environment. But if you can get that low enough and track it accurately, people will be satisfied.

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Thank you, Ajit for directing me to the article. I certainly agree with author on setting bold and aggressive targets for scrap reduction. We set our monthly target at say $10,000 (fixed number since an year) even then we had higher scrap rate than this number. But I somehow believe that in setting a target that varies by previous month's data, we might be able to motivate workforce in solving our problem.

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Two things going on here - how is the scrap number defined, and what are the root causes.

My experience in my last outfit, a computer equipment design and assembly house, saw .5% of sales as a scrap average. After a while others wanted to look at the number differently and took over that calculation, but that remained the average no matter what you called it or how it was figured.

As for reducing that number, you need to have correctable challenges and clearly identified root causes if anything is going to change. At some point after all the low hanging fruit has been fixed, you are left with the inevitable cost of doing business in an electronic environment. But if you can get that low enough and track it accurately, people will be satisfied.
Thanks for your response. I agree and understand that it's not important to get stuck on numbers for too long. It's important to find reasons why we are having these issues in first place. Currently we have a fixed target and implementing various quality tools in containing our scrap cost. Soon, we might have to set a new target to challenge the existing process.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
On one hand I understand Management's desire for improvement targets, etc. but I am a little surprised that no one on this forum has mentioned Dr. Deming's 10th of his 14 points.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Establishing a QMS - What Daily/Weekly/Monthly activities in Auto Industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Establishing monthly production targets with varying number of employees Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Use part of high risk device for establishing low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J ISO 13485:2016 Section 6.2 - Documenting the process for establishing competence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Establishing a FTQ (First Time Quality) process for an engine assembly line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Establishing a Gage R&R Studies Program in a Testing Laboratory Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Establishing traceability from calibrated glassware to non calibrated ones General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O Establishing SPC for small batches of 10-15 units Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
M Establishing Metrics - Where do you document metrics? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
alonFAI Establishing a Receiving Inspection Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
optomist1 Establishing Sigma or Capabilty Indices for Automotive Safety Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Establishing an MSA Plan and Justification Suggestions wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Help establishing a good Customer Complaints Procedure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Process Validation Guidance establishing the Integration with QbD - April 2012 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Establishing Ranges for Weights for Calibration Verification of a Micro-Balance Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
D Preparing for ISO 29001/API Q1- Establishing Control Features Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Establishing Key Process Characteristics (KPC's) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C New Quality Manager - Establishing Teams in different Business Units Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
H Noob Frequency Distribution and establishing achievable goals Using Minitab Software 2
K How to apply IEC 62366 and what shall be changed in establishing a Technical File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Why do I need batch size in establishing control plan to certain AQL?? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
E Need help establishing a DMR (Device Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Basis for Establishing Gage Tolerancing - "Gage Maker's Tolerances" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Establishing the Environmental Aspects and Impacts for a Septic Tank Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
M Establishing simple procedure and work instruction using chart or photo or video Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Criteria for Establishing Control Plan Sample Size and Inspection Frequency FMEA and Control Plans 7
K Inventory Management - Establishing a procedure for Inventory Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Establishing Item Codes for Production Raw Materials Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
O Establishing the current value of KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Y Establishing and Measuring Individual Performance to Product Quality Standards Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
C Establishing alert and action limits for clean room bioburden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
E Establishing a biocompability test lab for testing EN 10993 series EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
P Establishing Thickness Specifications from Measured Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
A Initial condition for establishing significant environmental aspects Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Establishing Control of Regulations that concern my company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
D Establishing New Training Procedure - Past Training of Existing Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Establishing Proposal Metrics in a Factory Construction Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A How to do Equipment Validation - Establishing our ISO 13485 QMS procedures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 26
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Coury Ferguson Interpretation of IAF Guide 62 - Establishing the Competence of the Auditors Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
S Establishing Internal Audit Nonconformity Level Criteria - Major vs. Minor? Internal Auditing 46
H Establishing Employee Competencies and Training - Future Training Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P China - Establishing Quality Systems for Chinese Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
Q Feedback System (8.2.1) - Requirements for "..establishing a documented procedure..." ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Douglas E. Purdy Transition to ISO 9001:2000 - RFI - 009, RFI-003, & Establishing a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9