Establishing the Environmental Aspects and Impacts for a Septic Tank

K

KTSiow

Dear members,

I'm currently trying to establish the aspect and impact for septic tank and appreciate if anyone can provide some sample of guides.

Cheers,

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Preparing a Waste Inventory for ISO 14001

Dear members,

I'm currently trying to establish the aspect and impact for septic tank and appreciate if anyone can provide some sample of guides.

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us why you need to carry out an aspect/impact assessment on a septic tank and what business is your company in?

K

KTSiow

Hi Harry,

We are in manufacturing of machinery business. The septic tank (human waste) was pointed out as one of the area we have missed to addressed in our current aspect and impact by auditors.

Cheers,

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator

Hi Harry,

We are in manufacturing of machinery business. The septic tank (human waste) was pointed out as one of the area we have missed to addressed in our current aspect and impact by auditors.

Cheers,

What can go wrong? How likely would that be? What would happen if it did? Is it significant? worry about it. If it isn't, don't worry about it.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator

Dear members,
I couldn't find a similar thread so if anyone can help it would be great. I have to prepare a waste inventory for 14001. Where should I start? What kind of a list it will be? Do you have a sample?
:thanx:very much

I've looked at 14001 once or twice and I can't find a requirement for a Waste Inventory.

Why don't you just follow and legal requirments you have and/or come up with a way that makes sense?

1. Where do you generate waste?

2. How much do you generate?

3. What do you do with it?

Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Randy is, as always, absolutely correct. Chances are, any requirements for waste inventory are going to come from Statutory/regulatory requirements. If you really have to have a list, follow Randy's 1, 2, 3 list above.

S

samsung

In addition to what SteelMaiden has advised, there is normally a regulatory requirement (treatment & disposal of domestic effluent) that you should either have an STP or properly designed Septic tanks installed at the facility/ township. The septic tanks are normally followed by soak pits as per prescribed standards (normally published by the national standard bodies).

The issue raised by the auditor appears to be related to compliance with legal & other requirements rather than being an aspect impact related matter. However, as part of aspect identification, you may consider environmental aspects/ conditions such as foul smelling around the area, leakage of effluent, location of the tanks/ mainholes, low ambient temperature causing the inside contents to freeze etc. etc.

Please provide more information for the forum members to help you better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom