Estimated cost for MDR certification

ShRam

Starting to get Involved
Hi guys,

I want to know the estimated cost to get an MDR certification for a Class III device. Where can I find such information? If someone knows the base fee please share it here.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
You can start by contacting a notified body and get their price-list. Then contact RA/QA consulting firms to get their cost estimates.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Standard fees are now obligatory to be public (as a way to improve transparency and to prevent "shopping" for services), and you can find them on the MDR-designated NBs websites (you can see for TUV SUD here: Frequently Asked Questions on Medical Device Regulation | TÜV SÜD) however, they are only general ones (in the TUV SUD example, they only put hourly rates) and thus you still have to evaluate how much time is required (as it really depends from manufacturer/device to manufacturer/device.

Watchcat

If you are talking about a cost for the actual certification, I don't know if there is a base fee. If there is, I don't think anyone knows what it is, and, if they did, in spite of the weak efforts toward transparency, I don't think anyone is going to share. There is probably a confidentiality clause in the contracts. I haven't seen BSI's transparency effort, but as a consultant, and MBA, and someone who managed business proposals for a global CRO, hourly rates tell you nothing.

The two NBs that have been designated might charge flat fees for their certification services or they might not. If so, they might have finalized their fee structure by now, or they might not. However, most flat fee structures are based on experience doing the same thing over and over. As far as I know, no NB has yet certified a device under the MDR. BSI and TUV might feel they have the financial resources to roll the dice in order to secure market share and then cover losses if their initial fee structure turns out to be too low. Similarly, their clients can probably afford to pay a high fee to get in early and secure their own market shares.

Regardless, I'm guessing BSI and TUV are fully booked through at least the end of 2020 by the large established companies that got prepared early, and may well stay booked by those clients forever and ever amen. If smaller companies are going to get certification, they may have to wait/hope for additional NBs to be designated, and then find out how much those NBs are charging. As for startups, I've been telling mine for several years now that, "If you aren't already in the EU, don't go."

If you don't have RA/QA inhouse, and therefore will need a consulting firm, right now I wouldn't look to them to estimate the cost of the certification, only their own fees for helping you get it. They may have a handle on certificate costs in another few years, if their clients choose to share that information with them. As with the NBs and device companies, the larger firms might be willing to quote a flat fee, because they probably want to establish market share too, but I wouldn't count on it. As an independent, no way. I won't quote you one for FDA approval, either. Some consultants might quote a flat fee for a "me too" 510(k), because, depending on the device and its predicate, it might come under "doing the same thing over and over." Class III devices do not.

Last edited:

Watchcat

From BSI's website (emphasis mine):

BSI is now accepting applications for MDR
We can confirm that BSI is now accepting applications under the MDR for our UK Notified Body (0086) from 3 June 2019.
BSI UK Notified Body (0086) will begin to process quote requests and schedule work over the coming months. BSI will provide conformity assessments to the full scope of the MDR. This service will focus on our existing UK (0086) and NL (2797) clients.

I couldn't find any transparency on costs, but I would expect the costs for transitioning from MDD to MDR to be quite different from the costs of a completely new certification under the MDR.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Standard fees are now obligatory to be public (as a way to improve transparency and to prevent "shopping" for services),
I also think that such mandate will generate nothing in terms of transparency. If a NB wants to perform conformity assessment services FOR FREE, because they have a strategic interest in establishing a business relationship with a large corporation, there are no laws in the world prohibiting that.

If the regulators want more transparency in the process (and that is a good thing), there is not the way to do it, in my opinion.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I also think that such mandate will generate nothing in terms of transparency. If a NB wants to perform conformity assessment services FOR FREE, because they have a strategic interest in establishing a business relationship with a large corporation, there are no laws in the world prohibiting that.

If the regulators want more transparency in the process (and that is a good thing), there is not the way to do it, in my opinion.
Agreed, however, this is not alone, in fact, if you look at all the tools mandated by the MDR, the transparency/control was clearly spread between several different requirements.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
To open the can of worms a bit wider...

Besides certification, there are certainly other costs. If you're not in the EU, you'll need an Authorized Rep.

And I think the insurance burden will increase (I don't really know but it seems there's much more in the MDR regarding liability).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ISO 14971-2019 doubt - Evaluate if estimated risks are acceptable ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
P Large data sets of continuous individual data - Estimated or actual deviation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
W Estimated Sigma and Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G Standard Deviation vs. Estimated Sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Marc Robot Finds Treasure Estimated To Be Worth $10 Billion on Robinson Crusoe Island World News 0
D Ppk - Capability calculation using the estimated sigma calculated from the Rbar/d2 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
JoCam Medical Device Recalls - Manufacturer's obligation for covering cost EU Medical Device Regulations 17
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
T MDSAP AO Cost ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M What is a reasonable MDSAP cost? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Warranty costs - What is your definition of a "warranty cost"? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Establishing a monthly scrap cost target Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
S Handling Cost of Sales requests for Customer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S MDSAP cost per jurisdiction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C What is your Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Sean Kelley Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Cost of Deviating Away From PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
N What is the Cost of Tracking Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Cost to a dealer for a "Declaration of Conformity " "Gost-R" in Ukraine? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W How much would it cost to setup a Quality System for a Repackager or Relabeler? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
JoCam Cost of maintaining CE Mark Regulatory Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Cost of DMF Type III preparation and submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
Marc The Cost of Living - 1938 in the US Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Reducing Cost of Poor Quality - Your opinion requested Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
L OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and Cost Savings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Wes Bucey A "Feel Good" story - 3D Printing Creates Low-Cost Prosthetic Fingers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M Reducing cost of IEC 60601 3rd edition testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Geoff Cotton What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ? Benchmarking 2
C Suggestions on Sample Plans for High Volume/Low Cost/Low Risk Components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Cost Factors of Iso 8 vs. ISO 8/9 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
Sean Kelley Difference between COQ (Cost of Quality) vs COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
QMMike What is the most cost effective SPC software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5