SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Estimating the dpm and ppm of the process from Cp and Cpk

O

oleg_v

Hi
I am how can i calculate the PPM if CP is high = 1.6 and
cpk is low = 0.3

how can i estimate the dpm and ppm of the process?

thanks

Oleg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Darius

Your Cp high is because your low variation, your Cpk low is due to your process location, just center your process to your target and your Cpk will reach Cp value.

Just browse the site, you will find many posts about it.

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6326#2

If you still want it, interpolate across the table and you will obtain your dpm.
but remember, statistics are as good as their use.

D

debyang

Hi
I am how can i calculate the PPM if CP is high = 1.6 and
cpk is low = 0.3

how can i estimate the dpm and ppm of the process?

thanks

Oleg
When Cp=1.6 and Cpk=0.3, it means your low Z value=3x0.3=0.9 or -0.3x3=-0.9, find the normal distribution probability for z=0.9 is 0.81594, so your estimated defect ratio is 1-0.81594=0.18406( or Z=-0.9 probability 0.18406), and in terms of ppm will be 0.18406x1,000,000=184060 ppm.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DrM2u

When Cp=1.6 and Cpk=0.3, it means your low Z value=3x0.3=0.9 or -0.3x3=-0.9, find the normal distribution probability for z=0.9 is 0.81594, so your estimated defect ratio is 1-0.81594=0.18406( or Z=-0.9 probability 0.18406), and in terms of ppm will be 0.18406x1,000,000=184060 ppm.
Thanks for the calculation, Deb. If you may, please post the formulas and explain what each number stands for so the OP and others understand the calculations and can aply as needed in the future. Thanks again!:agree1:

D

debyang

I am not good at spread sheets, but I try to develop one as attached. Jut key in your Cp and Cpk values, and the defect ratio will be given automatically. The basic formula used in this spreadsheet is Cpk=(1-ABS(Ca))xCp. Besides, the Z values for defect calculation are equal to 3 times the corresponding Cp values.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
bobdoering Dr Wheeler gives his thoughts on "Estimating the Fraction Nonconforming" Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
J Estimating Measurement Uncertainty for Autopipettes Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Performing an Internal Audit on the Cost Estimating Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Methods for estimating standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Cost Estimating Spreadsheet for a CNC Machine & Weld Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
L Estimating process - Material "fast quote" - Current material prices on the web Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
O Nonconformance Treatment Diagnose - Estimating how many nonconformances neglected Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
apestate Estimating between a gage's smallest increments - What is the true story? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E Procedure for estimating measurement uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
L Risk Analysis Question - Estimating the likelihood of a hazard occuring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Estimating Cost of Customer Return - How Do You Do It? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 21
E Estimating GR&R before the test is finished Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C Data Matrix and DPM (direct part marking) UDI Standards - ISO/IEC TR 29158 Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
B Relating DPM, Sigma Quality, and Centering Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
optomist1 DPM (Defects per Million) vs. DPMO (Defects per Million Opportunities) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S +/-6 sigma (range 12) for 3.4 DPM - Explanation please Six Sigma 4
C What is the best way to do projection - CPM and DPM by end of this year Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
C DPM (Defective per million) calculation Six Sigma 8
Q Is DPM defective parts per million a form of Attribute Data Sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Cp, Cpk, Dpm, or other? Diameter of a Hole - Non-Normal Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
K DPM (Defects Per Million) Opportunites - Help with examples Six Sigma 3
G Choosing a Sampling plan for Start Up Fabless IC Company - Guarantee a 200 DPM limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Cpk Vs DPM (Defects Per Million {aka PPM}) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S DPM (Defect parts per million opportunity) vs. PPM Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Targets / limits for PPM/ Scrap Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V PPM - Internal PPM / External PPM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
leftoverture PPM Defect Rate as a Performance Metric - Are there Flaws? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Q PPM - Filtering Defects out of calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ? Customer Complaints 2
L Oil Field Bearing Production PPM Standard Benchmarking 2
V How is PPM (Parts Per Million) Calculated? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L Help with concept of PPM in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Z Predicting External PPM Capability from Internal PPM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Cell Rubber Stamping PPM for Scrap Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R Supplier Deviations - Should this be counted in the supplier ppm? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S How to calculate Supplier PPM at Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Is There a Benchmark for PPM for Medical Devices? Benchmarking 4
K Proper YTD PPM Supplier Calculation Six Sigma 3