Ethics: A Discussion of Company Ethics

R

RosieA

More on Ethics

Since reading the posts related to my friend's ethical dilemma (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6984)
I have been mulling over the question of when a company formally crosses the line into unethical behavior.

Most of the posts were in agreement, that the knowing violation of a regulatory requirement is indeed, an ethical problem. Randy, however, (as is his wont) had a different take on it. He suggested that all companies bend the rules and my friend should grow up and get over it. While not in agreement with his statement, it did cause me to start looking at the bending which I've observed over the years and wonder what the line is between "normal" business rule bending and unethical behavior.

For example: (these have been accumulated over the years and not necessarily representative of where I currently work)

1. A customer audit is coming up. You know in advance that they have a hot button about drawings being available on-line vs on hard copy. Your company still uses hard copy. You're directed by a senior manager to "fudge" it and have a number of this customer's drawings in pdf form for the audit, so it appears that we do have such a system. Normal rule bending, or unethical?

2. A customer requires notification and approval if you change manufacturing locations. You missed one, and you have a problem that needs to be resolved with the customer. Top management directs you to lie about the location that the product is being made in to avoid problems. Normal rule bending, or unethical behavior?

3. A competitor has had several problems with product that has caused deaths and been through a highly publicized recall. You have a product that could well cause the same problems. An expensive test will tell you if your product is safe. You recommend the testing. Top management doesn't want to spend the money. Is this normal risk management or is this negligence?

4. You utilize a sister division's plant in Asia to provide a lower cost product. However, top management insists that everyone refer to that location as belonging to your own division, to prevent the customer from going directly to the sister division. Corporate management will do nothing to prevent one division from robbing the business of another, so long as it stays in the family. Is referring to the sister plant as one of your own bending the rules or unethical?

Your opinions please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
*****All IMHO*****

1. You're directed by a senior manager to "fudge" it and have a number of this customer's drawings in pdf form for the audit, so it appears that we do have such a system. Normal rule bending, or unethical?
Why would you "fudge"? If you don't do electronic, you don't do it. If you are going to put some in, why not all? I find this neither of the options, but possibly a management committment thing, choose a system and be willing to defend it.

2. You missed one, and you have a problem that needs to be resolved with the customer. Top management directs you to lie about the location that the product is being made in to avoid problems. Normal rule bending, or unethical behavior?
Unethical, this is a lawsuit waithing to happen if there are liability issues

3. An expensive test will tell you if your product is safe. You recommend the testing. Top management doesn't want to spend the money. Is this normal risk management or is this negligence?
Can you spell "lawsuit"? Not only is this unethical, it is pretty short-sighted

4. Corporate management will do nothing to prevent one division from robbing the business of another, so long as it stays in the family. Is referring to the sister plant as one of your own bending the rules or unethical?
Wow, I can't believe that corporate would slit the throat of one of their divisions like that....Unethical, probably not, but it sounds like it could go past the line?

G

Groo3

1. Any Customer who knows how to audit could easily pick up on such a ploy. I agree with SteelMaiden here... pick a system and be willing to defend it.

2. This appears to be unethical. I believe the supplier should admit they screwed up and rectify/fix any issues with the customer, not lie about it.

3. I think Unethical is not quite a strong enough word to describe what I think about this scenario. I do not believe normal "Risk Management" was even considered in the scenario you provided.

4. Our facility is one of several manufacturing facilities which all produce similar products. Our normal operations are to make the product where it most makes sense to manufacture it, regardless of location. We have one Company Name on our Products, and our Customers have never cared at which facility we manufacture the product, so long as it meets their requirements. I have heard of some companies who make a practice of having their sister divisions compete for business... they cull out the lesser performers and keep the divisions that don't go home at night... Not a place I would want to work.

PS: The October 2003 Quality Progress makes for some interesting reading as it deals with many of these questions.
http://www.asq.org/portal/page?_pageid=33,39211,33_39258&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&in_url=/pub/qualityprogress/index.html

1. Clearly unethical. Besides, I'm not payed to lie. It's not in my work description.

2. See above

3. That is criminal negligence.

4. Tag Groo's reply on here.

/Claes

B

ben sortin

They are all unethical. You are only as good as your tools. Integrity is a tool which sometimes earns you the title of "whistle blower." Train your management to use the tool.

E

energy

Scruples?

I was once paid $20 to sit at a desk for an hour and be ready to pretend to be a company's QM. As I was also pretending at my regular job, I figured, "Why not?" Does that make me a bad person or just an unethical one or both? :vfunny:

D

David Hartman

energy said:
I was once paid $20 to sit at a desk for an hour and be ready to pretend to be a company's QM. As I was also pretending at my regular job, I figured, "Why not?" Does that make me a bad person or just an unethical one or both? :vfunny:
I think that it makes you the Scourge of Quality - the source of all that has gone wrong in the world of quality today. :eek: :biglaugh:

R

RosieA

Here's how I handled each:
1. I refused to lie, and documented my reasons in an email to management. Issue didn't come up during the audit, but it eroded my relationship with and confidence in my management. I was laughingly referred to as "The company conscience" from then on out.

2. I fessed up to the customer which cost me some points in MArketing, but ultimately worked out for the best.

3. I enlisted the help of a senior research scientist, who I knew had the respect of the CEO, and he sold the CEO on the need for testing. The CEO was still angry about it and just about threw the lab analysis in my face when the results came back negative for the condition I was concerned about. He viewed it as wasted money, I viewed it as permission to sleep at night.

4. The issue is still open and being worked. Don't know how this one will end up yet.

I feel reassured that all of you viewed these issues the same way I did. After Randy's comments in the last post, I was concerned that maybe my judgement was off, and I was being a goody two shoes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Audit Ethics and Practices regarding Evidence Internal Auditing 18
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Wes Bucey The Ethics of Risk Assessment Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
I Code of Ethics and Conduct wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Tool Capability vs. Customers Requirements and Specifications (Ethics) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Your position and ethics on your job - Unqualified Personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 19
C REDACTED Harassment Module: Ethics - Training Materials Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
G Ethics and Quality Management Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
K Clinical Trials of Medical Devices in China - Ethics Commision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Tim Folkerts Change in ASQ Code of Ethics ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Auditing Ethics - Lead Auditor solicited client for training General Auditing Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 123
Wes Bucey Corporate ethics revisited - Comments about the concept of corporate ethics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R Ethics: Ethical Question - Knowingly Violating a Regulatory Requirement Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
R Ethics: Audit Question points auditor to a possible nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 73
N Ethics: Failure to File Regulatory Reports Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
A Ethics: Ethical Decisions Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
R AMS2750 rev F discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Search - Search for Discussion Threads started by a specific User Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A Other Discussion Boards - Internal Auditor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
H Dog and Pets Discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc Food Processors and Blades - Weekend Discussion After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
B Discussion on TC 176 and ISO 9001:2015 8.7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
A Microcontroller: Discussion about EASA CM - SWCEH - 001 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Thoughts about Discussion Forums Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Is there a Canadian Aviation Regulations discussion forum? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Marc Measurement Uncertainty Discussion Sub-Forum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A AS9101 Rev E AATT Course Discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Routes to IEC 60601 Compliance: Discussion of Merits and Pitfalls IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
2 Discussion about Hospital Carts Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 7
Marc ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015 - Changes Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc Just for fun - How did you find the Elsmar Discussion Forum Forum News and General Information 9
C Discussion about Accessory definition in the proposal of new EU regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 2