Ethics and Legality AS9100

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
In late January I walked off my Job when my boss (owner who lives 2,000 miles away) told me to ship non-conforming parts to the customer (in violation of AS9102). My boss told me that 'he would take responsibility and that if the customer caught it, they owe him a favor and he would call the favor in'. I told him we can submit a request to the customer to use the discrepant parts but he said we will ship them without that (not letting the customer know). I told him I was not willing to do that and walked off the job.

As the quality manager, I am the ultimate responsible party for parts leaving the facility regardless of the boss (owner) saying he would take responsibility.

My question: Does anyone know of any legal Aerospace federal laws that talk about violation of ethics regarding customer contracts (which had ethical requirements) listed?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I admire your ethics, especially when it comes to leaving a job and the financial implications which come with that.

I can not speak to actual federal laws. I am sure that had (or if) anything significant actually come(s) of it I doubt your boss would/will come in the cross hairs of prosecutors unless there was something written.

Ethics is something talked about and often discussed, but is relatively rare in real life. My best wishes.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I second Marc's comments. Interestingly, AS9100 7.3.h) requires the organization to communicate the importance of ethical behavior.

If the CB responsible for the AS91X0 certification is aware of the situation and can corroborate it, they should act in accordance with the IAQG Resolution #100, which reads:

9104-001 Clause 8.5b

If auditors identify what they believe to be inaccurate, incomplete or unapproved changes to information represented as verbal or written objective evidence during the course of any type of 9100/9110/9120 certification audit (e.g. initial, surveillance, recertification or special audit) the Audit Team Leader shall classify the associated nonconformance in accordance with the 9101 definitions of Major or Minor. If the nonconformity is categorized as Major the audit team leader shall advise the certified organization that its certification status is in jeopardy as a consequence of this nonconformity.

The CB shall initiate their certificate suspension or withdrawal process to determine whether the documented nonconformity warrants suspension or withdrawal of the certified organization’s 9100/9110/9120 certificate.
The above resolution came about after some serious ethical breaches by Japanese aerospace suppliers were found out, several years ago. The resolution was worded in a very politically-correct manner, but the intent is known: if records have been demonstrably falsified, the lead auditor HAS TO TAKE action.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I am sorry to hear you got put inthat situation. It is a horrible place to be.

Was your customer the government or a government subcontractor? If so there were likely FARs that applied to the PO, and probably places you could report the fraud to the government if you wanted to.

Whatever you do, CYA. It could get ugly and ugly can mean expensive.

Randy

Super Moderator
You were told to ship nonconforming aircraft parts? As a person who at one time made his living by being an aircraft mechanic and flying on the very same aircraft afterwards (I've been licensed by the FAA for over 30 years and have over 3,000 hours in test flight alone) and as someone who has averaged over 100,000 miles a year commercial for the better part of 20 years this is frightening.

I've no idea what you made or where the parts went, but this type of activity is unconscionable from my perspective. To think that I could have unknowingly put something on an aircraft, no matter how small or insignificant, led to its failure, is as bad as it gets.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Audit Ethics and Practices regarding Evidence Internal Auditing 18
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Wes Bucey The Ethics of Risk Assessment Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
I Code of Ethics and Conduct wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Tool Capability vs. Customers Requirements and Specifications (Ethics) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Your position and ethics on your job - Unqualified Personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 19
C REDACTED Harassment Module: Ethics - Training Materials Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
G Ethics and Quality Management Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
K Clinical Trials of Medical Devices in China - Ethics Commision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Tim Folkerts Change in ASQ Code of Ethics ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Auditing Ethics - Lead Auditor solicited client for training General Auditing Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 123
Wes Bucey Corporate ethics revisited - Comments about the concept of corporate ethics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R Ethics: A Discussion of Company Ethics Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
R Ethics: Ethical Question - Knowingly Violating a Regulatory Requirement Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
R Ethics: Audit Question points auditor to a possible nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 73
N Ethics: Failure to File Regulatory Reports Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
A Ethics: Ethical Decisions Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
W Legality of selling parts by count - Counting Scales Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
BradM The Legality of Business Documents - Is all the trouble worth it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3