Ethics: Ethical Decisions

A

Alan Cotterell

Ethical Decisions

MORALS AND ETHICS

I have always had the impression that the term ‘morals’ had a religious connotation and was referring to guideline derived from the Bible.

Perhaps we would do better to concentrate on ‘ethics’.

Decisions which do not return maximum benefit to all stakeholders, and which do not reflect societal values are ‘unethical’.

While such decisions might also be ‘immoral’ (in terms of the teaching in the Bible), I suggest we should limit our direct reference to age old texts and move forward.

We should try to base our decisions on risk assessments (considering statistics and consequences), cost/ benefit analyses, and societal values.

Alan Cotterell
17th January 2000

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

Alan,
It would be my guess that the forum is for asking questions, seeking guidance, helping peers, etc.
Yet again you seem to have started a thread by preaching something, but asking nothing.

At least this one was shorter.
Cheers.

------------------

M
I think Alan is on to something! I have noticed the lack of reference to ISO9004:2000 amonst all the talk of the revised 9001:2000, yet TC176 (the commitee responsible for review of the ISO9000 series) apparently wanted ISO9004 to be one of a "consistant pair". If suppliers operating under a ISO9001 management system are to consider themselves "ethical" under the terms Alan put forward, then ISO9004 must be incorporated, which would then consider all stakeholders (termed interested parties).
Keep in mind ISO9001 is there for the sake of the "customer", ISO9004:2000 replaces the term customer with "interested parties"

------------------
Mark G.

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 21 January 2000).]

R

Roger Eastin

Your definition of ethical has two very different components to it: one is based on "utility" (business decisions) and the other is based on anthropology. I'm not sure what your point is here (although Mark did), but your suggestion is certainly not a new one. Each century has folks that say the same thing as you have, but I think "the age-old texts" have more wisdom in them than you give them credit for. Now for the missing link: I hate to "dumb down" the discussion for my sake, but how does this relate to ISO9001 or 9004?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Ethics: Ethical Question - Knowingly Violating a Regulatory Requirement Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Audit Ethics and Practices regarding Evidence Internal Auditing 18
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Wes Bucey The Ethics of Risk Assessment Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
I Code of Ethics and Conduct wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Tool Capability vs. Customers Requirements and Specifications (Ethics) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Your position and ethics on your job - Unqualified Personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 19
C REDACTED Harassment Module: Ethics - Training Materials Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
G Ethics and Quality Management Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
K Clinical Trials of Medical Devices in China - Ethics Commision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Tim Folkerts Change in ASQ Code of Ethics ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Auditing Ethics - Lead Auditor solicited client for training General Auditing Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 123
Wes Bucey Corporate ethics revisited - Comments about the concept of corporate ethics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R Ethics: A Discussion of Company Ethics Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
R Ethics: Audit Question points auditor to a possible nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 73
N Ethics: Failure to File Regulatory Reports Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 17033:2019 Providing confidence in Ethical Claims Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J IEC 62366 - Ethical approval IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
Sidney Vianna Auditors and CB's further investigating certified QMS' with ethical breaches? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
K Ethical Hacking Course iN Chennai Service Industry Specific Topics 2
R Ethical Aspects while being Consultant and Certifier within same Organization. Consultants and Consulting 6
K How does an Internal Auditor document non-ethical or illegal practices Internal Auditing 10
K Has anyone had experience dealing with SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Sidney Vianna Another ethical breach for an ISO 9001 certified company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
D Ethical Question - Generate a Corrective Action to force a response and action Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 15
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
somashekar Uptodate.com: A clinical decision support resource - Point-of-care decisions Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
M What the FDA considers a Prescription Device - Decisions and Implications Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
R Final guidance - FDA Decisions for IDE Clinical Investigations Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Adoption of a Quality Management System - About Strategic Decisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
C Understanding Design Decisions relating to Safety and Usability Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
Marc Earthworms form herds and make "group decisions" World News 2
W Using an "OR" or an "AND" in Multiple Decisions Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
T Who makes archiving decisions in your organization? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
renenatasha Not a medical device anywhere except US and Canada - Tough Decisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
W 510(k) FDA Memorandum #k97-1 and S & E decisions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Process for Approving Personnel Making Decisions - AS9100 Clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8