Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR

LesPiles

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

On August 7, I've had the visit at our plant of a regulatory agency. The inspector saw a product that was not described in procedure bearing its mark so he issued a variation notice and has requested a CAR to be send to him before a month.

The product manager (a senior v-p) was on vacation for 3 weeks, and believe it or not, didn't accessed his emails ...

I first issue a NO SHIPMENT order, we removed the name plate with the mark, send pictures to the regulatory agency.

Meanwhile, the vp has a team of 2 young engineers but they wait the return of their boss to act on anything.

I'm kind a little tired of putting efforts trying to save their as***. They did not seem to take the problem seriously. They create NC and leave me alone with sh ...

I received their plan of action and my point of view is it is unacceptable (less than 2 hours of work planned ...). It would not be a corrective action, but rather a correction according to the language of ISO 9000.

What should I do to you?

If I send to the regulatory agency the CAR filled as is, I will be ashamed and it goes against my ethics (and maybe my reputation !).

Should I let them send their CAR to the agency without sending it through me?

Should I stand firm on my position of rejecting their plan and not sending their CAR?

In addition, I am informed that the vp and the two engineers will be at a customer site next week (the last week they could have to work something smart) to settle something where one of their (look that I’m not telling “our”) product has exploded.

Should I request an extension?

Sometimes I'd like to let them deal with the consequences and give them a lesson ... They risk that the agency will withdrew their permission for us to put their mark on our products.

But as informally, I‘ve always been the one who treated the resolution of their sh**, so I'm afraid that it could be me who will inherit the problems from the highest levels of our organization if I let things go.

What would you do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I think you need to proceed with great caution on a number of fronts. If things are actually exploding in the field, there could be much trouble and you could find yourself in the middle of it. Even if the issues aren't that drastic, you will be setting yourself up as a scapegoat if you knowingly let others walk into a mess in hopes of teaching them a lesson. It won't work. The best thing you can do is to make your misgivings known, in writing (an email message will do) and then let whomever it is that has the requisite authority make the actual decision as to how to proceed.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think you need to proceed with great caution on a number of fronts. If things are actually exploding in the field, there could be much trouble and you could find yourself in the middle of it. Even if the issues aren't that drastic, you will be setting yourself up as a scapegoat if you knowingly let others walk into a mess in hopes of teaching them a lesson. It won't work. The best thing you can do is to make your misgivings known, in writing (an email message will do) and then let whomever it is that has the requisite authority make the actual decision as to how to proceed.
Pragmatically, I agree with Jim.

I don't really characterize this as an "ethics" issue so much as a teamwork issue. Your first loyalty is to the organization. If you want to make life a little dicey for the vacationing engineer VP, you could. But why? First ask yourself some questions. I discuss a range of responses in the thread:
Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law

This VP and his cringing aides may be slackards or incompetent, but that's no reason to penalize the organization.

If the guy is absent and his aides are afraid to act, simply take the issue to someone higher on the food chain with the comment, "Gee. Mr. X is not answering messages and his aides seem afraid to act without his input. This seems like an issue that should be handled now. I'm not really the owner of the process, but I am aware of the situation. What do YOU think WE should do?"

Once reported to a boss in a neutral, but concerned for the organization manner, YOU will be protected from most fallout because you have acted [seemingly] on behalf of the organization versus seeming to be out to make Mr. X look bad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Ethics: Ethical Question - Knowingly Violating a Regulatory Requirement Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
R Ethics: Audit Question points auditor to a possible nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 73
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Audit Ethics and Practices regarding Evidence Internal Auditing 18
Wes Bucey The Ethics of Risk Assessment Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
I Code of Ethics and Conduct wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Tool Capability vs. Customers Requirements and Specifications (Ethics) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Your position and ethics on your job - Unqualified Personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 19
C REDACTED Harassment Module: Ethics - Training Materials Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
G Ethics and Quality Management Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
K Clinical Trials of Medical Devices in China - Ethics Commision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Tim Folkerts Change in ASQ Code of Ethics ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Auditing Ethics - Lead Auditor solicited client for training General Auditing Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 123
Wes Bucey Corporate ethics revisited - Comments about the concept of corporate ethics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R Ethics: A Discussion of Company Ethics Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
N Ethics: Failure to File Regulatory Reports Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
A Ethics: Ethical Decisions Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T GDT Callout Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5