ETO Sterilization Validation Process and an NCR - ISO 13485:2003 CMDCAS audit

P

Pataha

Hi all,

I have been reading for awhile and could not help but register to comment and even though, I do lose mt train of thought. I have found this forum very handy and thought provoking.
Now, I had a recent ISO 13485:2003 CMDCAS audit and recieved and NCR for my ETO Sterilization Validation Process. This validation approach has been audited by the FDA every time they audit. And I understand that from Health Canada's Medical Device Regulation Section "17. A medical device that is to be sold in a sterile condition shall be manufactured and sterilized under appropriately controlled conditions, and the sterilization method used shall be validated."
My current process is for an Annual Validation with an Independent UTAH based Lab that is no way related to my Contract Sterilizer and follows ISO 11135:1994 and EN550. Plus my Contract Sterilizer has evidence of conforming to ISO 11135:1994 and EN 550.
The Auditor wants us to do Validation more often, yet when pressed for the reference that requires this, they backed off and went with "just show that you are doing what you state you are doing."
Which I thought I showed them when they were here.

So I am looking for suggestions on how to clear this NCR. We believe that the Auditor may have confused ETO requirements with GAMMA. We, also, have gone the appeals approach and it was bounced back. :bonk:

Thank you for your help.
Craig.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
I am not an expert on sterilization techniques. I did not see any Health Canada specifications regarding frequency of validation.

You should ask the auditor and registrar to show you the requirement.

The registrar should have an appeals process and if it was bounced back, ask to speak to their medical device manager and if you do not get satisfaction to the President.

Danny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Is Aeration Process in ETO Sterilization Validation Required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Re-validation of EtO sterilization after change of tape Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Fractional cycle fail in Eto sterilization validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Decision to file a new 510(k) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A How to overcome brown stains after ETO sterilization process ? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Number of Biological Indicators for Routine Monitoring of ETO Sterilization Cycle Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
R Eto Sterilization Product Adoption SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Sterilisation ISO 11135 EtO-in-a-Bag (Novel Non-Traditional EtO Sterilization) Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
A Aeration Room Requirements for EtO Sterilization Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T ETO Sterilization through luer caps Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F Implementing ISO 11135 - Facilities Conditions - Adding ETO Sterilization Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
N EtO Sterilization Process Waste Treatment System Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G "Intrinsically Safe" requirement - EtO sterilization of device with Battery Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
D Will just Heat and Humidity be Adequate to Simulate EtO Sterilization? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
K Sterilization for Hypodermic Needle - EtO or Gamma? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Mikilk ETO Sterilization - Annual Report of all Sterilization Validations to send the NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L ETO vs. Gamma Irradiation Sterilization of DBM (Demineralized Bone Matrix) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Effect of double ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S AAMI TIR28:2009 Product adoption & process equivalency for ETO sterilization Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Eto Certificate of Sterilization (vs. gamma irradiation) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B ISO 11135:2007 (EtO Sterilization) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T ETO Sterilization - Process monitoring and out-inspection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G EtO Sterilization - DIN/EN 550 - ISO 11135 Other US Medical Device Regulations 20
Ajit Basrur Audit Checklist for Contract Gamma and ETO Sterilization needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V EMS for Medical Device Facility with Ethylene Oxide (ETO) Sterilization process. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
V ETO Sterilization of Urological Catheter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q EtO vs. Gamma Sterilization - Stainless Steel and Titanium Orthopaedic Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C How to verify the SAL (sterilie acceptable level) is 10-6 for ETO Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier audit of ETO Sterilization Lab - Need a checklist or advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
chris1price EtO Sterilisation Consultant Wanted Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N ISO 11135 Monitoring Routine ETO Sterilisation Parameters Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Is it essential to do the Fractional Test for ETO Revalidation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M EtO compatible or recommended materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
X EtO Steriliser Software (PACS) Update Validation Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
S IV Catheter Biological Evaluation - EtO Residuals - Permanent Contact Definition Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S ETO ISO 11135-1 & ISO 17665-2 - Purity and Quality of Steam (Humidity) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Eto Sterilisation Re-Validation Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D ETO Sterility Requirements for FIM Clinical Study in Europe Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P ETO Sterilisation of Single Use Part supplied in Non-Sterile State EU Medical Device Regulations 12
I ETO Sterilizer Validation (ISO 11135:2007) Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
K EN550 (ISO 11135-1:2007) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
I Guidelines that specify the frequency of ETO Sterilizer Re-Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Japanese rule on EtO residuals in sterilized medical devices? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
T ETO Product Sterilisation Testing Standard Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
chris1price Sterilization using beta radiation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2