EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Greetings all, I hope all are well during these times.

If someone could BUMP me to the right thread or offer advice to my situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

* Canadian manufacturer of Class I and IIa medical devices

* Was previously with a NB but withdrew from the EU market when the Rev 4 was announced

* Have a request for a small amount of our Class I devices

* Since we self declare and can label it with "CE" easily, do we still require a EU Rep since there is no NB involved?

*With low margins, is it even worth it to do so

Thank you all for your response.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

mihzago

Yes, EAR is required for any company that offers products in EU and does not have a local presence in the EU, irrespective of device classification.
You can find a reasonable one for about $1500/year.

Edward Reesor

Thank you! That's what I thought but needed confirmation from my esteemed colleagues (i.e. not my personal interpretation of the regs).

My product is a Digital Acuity Chart (VDAC) is a self-administered digital eye chart device ( a USA company) the company has confirmed the device do not have measuring functions because of that it should be classified as class I. I would like please some advice to better understand the process for confirming classification with a notified body and then if it is class 1, what that means for completing the CE marking process. thanks a lot !!!

mihzago

You should document the classification and your rationale. If you're certain it is not class IIa or higher, or class I measuring/sterile, then you don't need to interact with a notified body.
You have to find an EU Authorized Representative; they will review your classification justification and other required documentation. If they agree with everything, they'll submit registration to the local CA (Competent Authority). If CA accepts the information, they'll issue a certificate, if not you may have to start over by re-classifying the device at which point you may have to engage a NB.

You should document the classification and your rationale. If you're certain it is not class IIa or higher, or class I measuring/sterile, then you don't need to interact with a notified body.
You have to find an EU Authorized Representative; they will review your classification justification and other required documentation. If they agree with everything, they'll submit registration to the local CA (Competent Authority). If CA accepts the information, they'll issue a certificate, if not you may have to start over by re-classifying the device at which point you may have to engage a NB.
thank you so much!! the device do not measure anything and not in contact with the body the company hope to avoid the NB and the Quality system that I understand its not needed for Class I device. so the recommendation in this case should be to address the final evaluation with an EU Authorized Representative is that correct? the certificate issued by the CA will be the CE marking?

Rincewind

Involved In Discussions
Take the MDR and check Annex VIII, the rules will tell you what class your medical device is. If you struggle maybe consult the MEDDEV 2. 4/1 rev. 9 (it was written for the MDD but it will give you an idea about the thinking and application of the rules).

If you conclude that your device is indeed class I, you need a quality management system and prepare a technical documentation (Annex II and III).
Then you can draw up a Declaration of Conformity (DoC) as per Annex IV. For class I devices no Notified body is involved.

The EU Representative basically just acts a contact for the competent authority in the EU. Your EU Rep can then proceed as mihzago already lined out.

Take the MDR and check Annex VIII, the rules will tell you what class your medical device is. If you struggle maybe consult the MEDDEV 2. 4/1 rev. 9 (it was written for the MDD but it will give you an idea about the thinking and application of the rules).

If you conclude that your device is indeed class I, you need a quality management system and prepare a technical documentation (Annex II and III).
Then you can draw up a Declaration of Conformity (DoC) as per Annex IV. For class I devices no Notified body is involved.

The EU Representative basically just acts a contact for the competent authority in the EU. Your EU Rep can then proceed as mihzago already lined out.
thank you so much !! really appreciated!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I European Authorized Representative - Their Requirements (Class 1 Medical Devices) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P CE Marking - Turkey & European Authorized Representative - Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Independent authorized CE Marking representative in UK or EU - Class 1 Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 11
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
T Different Authorized Representative and distributors in Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Local Authorized Representative - Kenya Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Manufacturer's agreement with their EU Authorized Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Authorized Representative services for the EU Recommendations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Kuldeep Singh Mandatory Documents for EU authorized Representative under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
C What if the foreign manufacturer of a medical device changes the Authorized Representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
E Authorized Representative Change - Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
T Authorized Representative on Labeling (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N EU Authorized Representative question EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Vietnam - Authorized Medical Device Representative Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
J New MDR: Authorized Representative Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Authorized (EC) Representative Contract and SOP EU Medical Device Regulations 12
J Non-Conformity Overreach - We recently switched our EU Authorized Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Chinese Authorized Representative - What are the regulatory risks? China Medical Device Regulations 3
K Does OEM/OBL-Relationship need to involve an EU Authorized Representative? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M How difficult is it to appoint a new Authorized Representative in India? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
U What if UK leaves EU? What will happen to European Authorized representative in UK? EU Medical Device Regulations 22
M Is it possible to have more than one authorized representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D How to choose an EU Authorized Representative for a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
L Find Local Authorized Representative (LAR) for medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Y Which documents should be maintained by EU authorized representative? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Presence of Authorized Representative during Surveillance Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU Medical Device Authorized Representative Requirements - France EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Question on Authorized Representative (Malaysia) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 18
K Transferring Authorized Representative (AR) in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
V Malaysian Authorized Representative for Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
J Responsibilities of Authorized Representative EU EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Can an Authorized Representative also be Distributor? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P IVD Medical Device Authorized Representative Requirements in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 6
thisby_ Designating a European Authorized Representative among Companies EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Authorized Representative Contact Information in IFU (Instructions for Use) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L How to select an Authorized Representative CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Discontinuing using an Authorized Representative - CE Mark Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 21
somashekar Authorized EU Representative Legal Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Q Authorized European Representative - Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Anyone familiar with using an Authorized Representative in the UAE? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Health Canada requires Authorized Representative? Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
I European Authorized Representative in the country the device will be sold in ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Authorized Representative - Declaration of Conformity Signator CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
bio_subbu GHTF definition of Manufacturer, Authorized Representative, Distributor and Importer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
W Looking for Authorized Representative to host our technical files in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M CE Marking Process - Obligations of an Authorized Representative CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Multiple Authorized Reps in the EU for the same device? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9