SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

EU Class 1s CE Mark Regulatory Pathway

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi Emulchandani,

Your answer is found in the MDD, Annex VII, paragraph 5:

With products placed on the market in sterile condition and Class I devices with a measuring function, the manufacturer must observe not only the
provisions laid down in this Annex but also one of the procedures referred to in Annex II, IV, V or VI. Application of the above mentioned Annexes and the intervention by the notified body is limited to:
— in the case of products placed on the market in sterile condition, only the aspects of manufacture concerned with securing and maintaining sterile conditions...

This means you'll need a Notified Body to audit your quality system, most likely against MDD Annex II or V, and review the sterilization related aspect of your technical file. In the end you'll receive a certificate which you will refer to in your Declaration of Conformity.

Thank you. Manufacturing will be in-house. So essentially it would be similar to a class II or III device in terms of quality system and technical documentation review except the NB will only focus is on sterilization?

This is what the AR has told me which generated the confusion in terms of NB auditing the QMS:

In fact, no Notified Body is necessary for a Class 1 Device. However, there are some testings required for the technical file (eg mechanical), where we include the Notified Body to perform the tests according to the regulation.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thank you. Manufacturing will be in-house. So essentially it would be similar to a class II or III device in terms of quality system and technical documentation review except the NB will only focus is on sterilization?
You mention "a class II or III device" which might indicate you are referring to the US system (in the EU it would be either IIa or IIb, no "class II" as such); in which case the relevant reference would be part 820, so I would say not necessarily similar. Annex V excludes Design & Development, and in the US system a class II or III device would be subject to Design Controls (820.30) so that's a significant difference. Other than that you are partly correct - all class I devices are subject to Annex I and Annex VII so you'll have to be in compliance regardless of NB intervention, plus your Annex V (as a minimum) QMS will have to fully address all sterility aspects. NB intervention should not only "focus" on sterility aspects but actually be limited to them (watch for regulatory creep).

So if a Class Is (also class 1 in US, no design controls), would the most efficient pathway be Annex V rather than Annex II because the lack of design and development requirements?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 23
N CE Mark for Class 1 medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
D US Made class I CE Mark product for export only to EU Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M ISO 13485 Required for CE Mark on Class I product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
A ROHS and CE Mark - Requirements for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E Medical Device Class 2a CE Mark Clinical Evaluation Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Class Ins CE Mark Labeling Requirements (particularly Lot or Batch symbol and number) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Design Company - CE Mark for a Medical Device Class 2A , Annex VI & Annex VII EU Medical Device Regulations 12
G Selling a CE mark Class I Medical Device in Sweden - Any other requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
J Question about CE mark for Dental Gel which is probably Medical Device Class 2a EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE Mark Labeling Requirements for a Class II Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Launching a CE Mark Class I (non-measuring and non-sterilzed) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Multi site Clinical Investigation For CE Mark Application - Class IIa Device (UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
V Class III Device CE Mark with ISO 9001 Registration? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Class III Medical Device with CE Mark - UK Registration Process EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Design requirements - CE Mark / Class III device / Annex II.3 + Annex II.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E How to get FDA Approval for Class II Medical Device - We have CE Mark, 13485, 9001 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
L Where to CE Mark a Class I medical device the size of a small tablet EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Class 2a Medical Device (Nebulizer) - What is best route to getting CE mark? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M CE Mark Size Requirement - Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Class III Medical Device with CE Mark Approval - India Registration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
O CE Mark requirements for Class IIA MDs - European medical devices importers EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Sidney Vianna Dubai to Have Its Own World Class Quality Mark Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
L CE Mark - FDA - Class I traction systems - What is involved and how long does it take EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J The necessity and benefit of ISO13485:2016 for a manufacturer of class I devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S IPC-A-610 Class 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Class 1 and 2 changes in CM standards (aerospace industry) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
S Class 1 vs Class 2 changes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J EU Declaration of Conformity for Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Class II a vs "software safety class A" IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
N Class I accessories covered by EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Med Device Class for a Service Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7