EU Harmonized Standards to which a company has declared compliance

DCONN1

Starting to get Involved
I'm in the process of reviewing a list of standards to which a company has declared compliance for their product. I am unsure if some standards noted as harmonized on this list are currently harmonized in the EU as they are not listed on the relevant page on the EC website (which contains a disclaimer stating that the list may not be complete or fully up to date anyway).

Medical devices - European Commission

As examples, EN ISO 11135:2014, EN ISO 11138-1:2006, and EN ISO 15223-1:2012 are absent from the European harmonized standards list published on the EC website. Are these standards currently harmonized? Is the EC page with standards listing the best source for determining which standards are currently harmonized in the EU?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi DCONN1,
This is the official source for harmonized standards. I can tell specifically that ISO 15223-1:2012 became harmonized at one point but later on was withdrawn and EN 980 was reinstate. So, in effect it is up to date.

Shimon

Mark Meer

Yes, this is the list I reference...

If a standard has been updated but is not yet on the list, it is a pretty simple matter to justify applying the updated one as a better reflection of "state-of-the-art" in your technical file... This approach has worked fine for us (and accepted by our NB) in the past...

Also, some standards are simply referenced from ones on the list (even though they do not appear themselves on the list). For example, EN ISO 10993-10 is not on the list, but is referenced by 10993-1 (which is on the list).

Last edited:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'm in the process of reviewing a list of standards to which a company has declared compliance for their product. I am unsure if some standards noted as harmonized on this list are currently harmonized in the EU as they are not listed on the relevant page on the EC website (which contains a disclaimer stating that the list may not be complete or fully up to date anyway).

Medical devices - European Commission

As examples, EN ISO 11135:2014, EN ISO 11138-1:2006, and EN ISO 15223-1:2012 are absent from the European harmonized standards list published on the EC website. Are these standards currently harmonized? Is the EC page with standards listing the best source for determining which standards are currently harmonized in the EU?
The website disclaimer is mostly a formality, but if you want to be 100% sure you can check the actual OJEU record. Whatever is in the latest OJEU record is what’s harmonized.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
EN ISO 10993-10 is not on the list, but is referenced by 10993-1 (which is on the list).
ISO 10993-1 suggests considering tests specified in ISO 10993-10, so that reference does not confer any “implied harmonized status” on the latter.

Let’s not forget what harmonizing standards is all about in the MDD context. It is about equating a published standard compliance with some (specified) MDD requirements compliance, via the “presumption of conformity”. Complying with ISO 10993-1 (and this can sometimes be done without any testing) grants presumption of conformity with some ER; complying with ISO 10993-10, in itself, doesn’t grant any such presumption.

Mark Meer

ISO 10993-1 suggests considering tests specified in ISO 10993-10, so that reference does not confer any “implied harmonized status” on the latter.
It is true that ISO 10993-1 suggests tests, but if assessed as necessary, the standard then points to an associated 10993-x standard.

If, for example, you've assessed that a cytotoxicity test is necessary, and then did NOT do the cytotoxicity test as per 10993-5, then presumably you can't claim compliance to 10993-1, no?

Also, to use another example, IEC 62133 (Safety requirement for secondary cells) is not a harmonized standard, but is referenced by EN 60601-1. Therefore, wouldn't it be safe to assume that compliance to IEC 62133, even though it is not on the list of harmonized standards, bears some evidence of conformity with respect to electrical safety vis-a-vis its relationship to EN 60601-1?

Let’s not forget what harmonizing standards is all about in the MDD context. It is about equating a published standard compliance with some (specified) MDD requirements compliance, via the “presumption of conformity”. Complying with ISO 10993-1 (and this can sometimes be done without any testing) grants presumption of conformity with some ER; complying with ISO 10993-10, in itself, doesn’t grant any such presumption.
I've mentioned this in another thread already, but I have to admit to being still confused in this case. EN ISO 10993-10:2013, although not presently on the list of harmonised standards, does have an Annex ZA listing the presumptions of conformity with ERs. Granted, the annex does state "Once this Standard is cited in the Official Journal of the European Union...", so I presume that the Z-Annex is not "official" until officially harmonized.

That being said, I think that it is very unlikely that an NB would reject or question the use of such a standard to evidence ER conformity as (a) it is tied to (harmonized) 10993-1; (b) it has a Z annex.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
If, for example, you've assessed that a cytotoxicity test is necessary, and then did NOT do the cytotoxicity test as per 10993-5, then presumably you can't claim compliance to 10993-1, no?
No. ISO 10993-1:2009 refers to parts like -10 and -5 in a rather neutral way (“see ISO 10993-X”). I was never in a situation where an alternative test method was used so I can’t say what would have been the outcome, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the NB would have insisted that it’s a NC because the ISO 10993 part method wasn’t used, despite no such clear requirement in part 1. As mentioned in some threads here, ISO 10993-1 is routinely misread and misapplied. :(

Also, to use another example, IEC 62133 (Safety requirement for secondary cells) is not a harmonized standard, but is referenced by EN 60601-1. Therefore, wouldn't it be safe to assume that compliance to IEC 62133, even though it is not on the list of harmonized standards, bears some evidence of conformity with respect to electrical safety vis-a-vis its relationship to EN 60601-1?
I don’t know these standards well enough to comment. The formal relationship should be determined based on the actual language in the standards. Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is practiced (by NB) in contrast with the actual language or intent, though...

I've mentioned this in another thread already, but I have to admit to being still confused in this case. EN ISO 10993-10:2013, although not presently on the list of harmonised standards, does have an Annex ZA listing the presumptions of conformity with ERs. Granted, the annex does state "Once this Standard is cited in the Official Journal of the European Union...", so I presume that the Z-Annex is not "official" until officially harmonized.
If I’m not mistaken, this standard was once harmonized, then taken off the list. I can’t remember the reason (not sure I ever even fully knew it); there might have been some discussion about it in Elsmar.

That being said, I think that it is very unlikely that an NB would reject or question the use of such a standard to evidence ER conformity as (a) it is tied to (harmonized) 10993-1; (b) it has a Z annex.
The NB would probably not reject because it can be conveniently considered “state of the art” (unless proved otherwise). As I stated above, part 10 is not “tied” to part 1, only loosely associated. The existence of an annex Z in a standard has no binding meaning, it’s just a guidance (and a hypothetical one if the standard is not officially harmonized).

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
You can find/follow harmonised standards from only following link; CEN - Advanced search - Publications and Work in Progress

Journal is not updated. EN 980 is withdrawn ages ago they forget to remove from journal.
These statements are strange to me.
CEN prepare European standards but I don’t think they have the authority to actually harmonize them.
The OJEU publication is what gives force to the harmonisation. It is regrettable if OJEU publications lag behind or are erroneous (as sometimes happens), but they are legally binding nevertheless, at least as far as I know.

The EN 980 / ISO 15223 ordeal has been discussed here when it happened, and again later. Apparently it was a collection of mistakes, some of which have been rectified since.

Remus

Involved In Discussions
CEN is preparing the Annex ZA/ZB of standards then send to EC, if they accept it is harmonised and updated on CEN site. However, EC guys are too lazy to update journal...

So don't bother journal...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M EU Harmonized Standards - Withdrawals and Replacements EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Compliance to EU Official Journal Harmonized Standards (MD/IVD products in EU) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A 93/42/EEC Declaration of Conformity and Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Harmonized standards vs. EN ISO References EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc MDD Harmonized List of Standards Website Moved Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
W New list of MDD Harmonized Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Harmonized Standards EN vs. IEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
R No Stability Standard on latest List of Harmonized Standards IVDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F ISO 10993-10 - Removed from List of Harmonized Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Annex Z of Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Retrospective Application of EN 60601-1:2006 - Harmonized Standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 27
O Harmonized Standards on Medical Device IFU (Instructions for Use) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
xcanals_tecno-med.es Revised List of Harmonized Standards for Medical Device Directives (MDD) in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 48
E Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
xcanals_tecno-med.es Revised list of harmonized standards for medical device directives in the EU (7/7/10) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Medical Device: New List of Harmonized Standards in EU under MDD93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Revised list of harmonized standards for medical device directives in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W New Harmonized Standards MDD and IVDD EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S EC Official Journal Harmonized Standards - Additional requirements? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W New List of Medical Device Harmonized Standards - MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A List of Harmonized Standards for the MDD, IVD and IMDD - June 2006 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
amjadrana CE Mark & Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Y Retroactive application of harmonized standards US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Y CE Mark & Harmonized Standards - Article 5.1, MDD - Has anyone challanged this? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q EN ISO 13485:2016/AC:2018 - AC:2018 being stated in the applicable harmonized standard listing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
G Harmonized List - MDD 93/42/EEC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P ISO 10993-1:2018 - When will the European equivalent become a Harmonized Standard? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
R Information on the roll out of the new harmonized DRAFT FMEA AIAG/VDA manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M EN Standard (ETSI EN 301 489-3 v1.6.1) is Harmonized but not on Europa List Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Harmonized EN 60601 Z Annexes are Not Useful IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A Is ISO 14644 harmonized for US? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
O Harmonized standard of EU---EN 60601-2-10:2000/A1:2001 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Labelling and the harmonized EN ISO 14971:2012 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
K GHS (global harmonized system) Labeling requirements for Small Packages Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
AnaMariaVR2 Documentation and Records: Harmonized GMP Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
AnaMariaVR2 IMDRF Working With ICH on Harmonized Electronic Submission System for Drugs, Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Harmonized Standard Compliance Question EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J When will EN 60601-2-4:2010 be harmonized? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W EN ISO 15225 (2010) - Medical Device Nomenclature - A Harmonized Standard? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T When will ISO 13485 be updated? Will it be harmonized with ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) and "12 NC" Codes for Products RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
T Which Harmonized Standard to which Essential Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J EN 93/42 revised draft (harmonized) - Medical Devices Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Help with Schedule B Harmonized Codes Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
W EN ISO 13485:2003 harmonized to AIMD, MDD and IVDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
R Applicable ISO standards - packaging and others Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Q Standards for Shipping by Sea US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2