EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Hi
I’m working on the technical documentation for MDR and I'm struggling on the par. 6.1 of Annex II, in particular in my mind the par. 6.1(a) and 6.1(b) are partially overlapped and I cannot well decide what falls under the paragraph (a) and under the paragraph (b).
Schermata 2021-01-12 alle 12.58.54.png
In my understanding:
- par. 6.1(a) considers all the pre-clinical tests made on the product, except the ones related to the list in par. 6.1(b). For these tests, it is enough to provide the results only
- for the tests listed in par. 6.1(b) it is necessary to provide protocols, methods, data summaries and results as well

Is it so?

Should I provide test protocol and methods also for test made by an external laboratory (for example for Electromagnetic compatibility)? More generally, if we don’t make tests inside, how should I get information about test protocol? Following the technical standard is not the test protocol itself? Provide the test report issued by the laboratory isn’t enough?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Super Moderator
Cybel,

a little bit different: par. 6.1 (a) generally tells you to compile any data that demonstrate pre-clinical safety and conformity to its specification; par. 6.1 (b) is more specific and tells you that in all cases these data _must_ include biocompatibility (if in body contact), the device's relevant physico-chemical properties, including its microbial state (if applicable, e.g. sterility) and electrical safety information (if applicable).

For any performed test, there should be a protocol upfront (regardless whether the test is performed directly by you or outsourced) and a related report upon completion of the test. For any outsourced test, you may want to ask the lab to provide you protocol(s) for review (and approval) prior to starting a test.

Hope this helps,

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Thanks PlanB
So, would you include under the par. 6.1(a) all the test results including biocompatibility, electrical safety, and so on and under 6.1(b) would you detail that parts in particular?

When we make a test inside the company we write a protocol, but I’ve never asked for a protocol to external laboratories :-(, when I require a test there is a discussion about how to proceed, of course, and some written documents about test construction, but nothing as detailed as a protocol… :-(
Could you maybe share an index of such a protocol? I would like to understand what is the detail level required for this.

planB

Super Moderator
Cybel,

you may want to present references to your data as part of your GSPR checklist.

A test protocol should to a minimum contain scope and purpose of the planned test, description of samples and their justification (including sample size), description of test method and its justification, test parameters and their acceptance criteria. The level of detail should be adequate to allow trained test personnel to unambiguouly and reproducibly perform all planned test activities.

Specifically for (outsourced) biocompatibility tests you may want to request test(s) to be performed under GLP. Thus, the contracted lab will provide you with test protocol(s) to review.

Hope this helps,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S EU MDR Annex I Chapter III 23.4 z EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Difference between EU-MDR Annex IX and the Annex-combo X&XI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 16
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J MDR Annex VIII, Rule 6 Classification - Implication for lower risk CV products? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A EU-MDR Annex I Requirement 10.1(d) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
L EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) - Labeling Content EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR Annex II Design & Manufacturing info - 'Adjuvants' definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J IVDR and MDR ANNEX I Requirements Template EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Annex II EU MDR gap analysis EU Medical Device Regulations 7
W MDR Annex I chapter 23.2 (q) - Information required on the label EU Medical Device Regulations 18
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Determining a device category according to the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Transactions under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3