EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device)

Class IIb Medical device not yet on the market received CE mark under MDD. Marketing would like now to change the medical device name. What is the path (if any) to change the device name of a legacy device under EU MDR?

Any suggestion, specially from people with direct similar experience after May 26th, 2021 would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, many thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
MDR is a completely new certification, so no matter whether a device was already registered under the directive and with what name, you can register the device with the new name under MDR. In the technical documentation you may link the new name to the previous one.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
@DominicDV,
It's best to contact your notified body, explain the situation and see if they can issue a new CE MDD certificate.
Product name change is not a significant change, but they might not be willing to issue any more CE MDD certificate.

MDR is a completely new certification, so no matter whether a device was already registered under the directive and with what name, you can register the device with the new name under MDR. In the technical documentation you may link the new name to the previous one.
Hello Cybel: Many thanks for the information.

I have similar question. We are a producer of class I medical software, with the declaration of conformity issued before 26th of May 2021. Can we now change the name of the software as a medical device and change the albeling of the product?
Is it posiible to start to use both names in the same time, always with the information that this is the same product?
@DominicDV could you please share the end of the process for your MD?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Follow the guidance document for significant changes for MDR. I cant recall the name NBCG Something.

Thank you @Ed Panek but in the guidelines, there is only information, that the name of address of the producer is not a major change. There is no info about the device name change during the grace period between MDD and MDR.

However, they blocked the possibility to release the MDD certificates because of a change of the product name.
Do you feel, that for the device class I we must interpret it similarly, that we shouldn't change the DoC, IFU, labeling even if it is only about the name of the device?

For a class I can not even ask the NB for their opinion :(

Raisin picker

Quite Involved in Discussions
No grace period for those
Actually, you have issued a Declaration of Conformity sometime before May 2021. You must not issue a new MDD-DoC, since the basis for this is not available anymore. But your self-declared MDD-CE is still valid thru the grace period.
Regarding not significant changes, I heard that NBs issue amendments to their certificates, but I can't remember the source for this any more. But if you find it, this could be an option for you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Self Certified Class 1 MDR 2017/745 Design Change CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Changes to OS - Significant change under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M MDR Rules Change Revealed in Warning Letter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
B MDR PSUR versus Canadian Summary report EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR 2017/744 Article 22 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Sales of MDD devices with expired CE that are pending MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D New Device Post Market Requirement for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D EU MDR Derogation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Doninina Risk management file according MDR or ISO 14971:P2019 ? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M On-demand EU MDR Compliance toolkit with online training courses, templates & document management system Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M EU MDR (GSPR Checklist) consolidated with TGA EP Checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A PMSR or PSUR for legacy MDD-class I becoming MDR class-IIa EU Medical Device Regulations 7
H MDR clinical evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Possible topic for Master thesis topic - MDR and QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D MDR technical file: does it need to contain duplicates of controlled documents EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Does the MDR article 10 (14) needs to be documented word for word in a Procedure? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Adding New Products during MDR transition period Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Internal Audits during the MDR Transition Period EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Z How to keep up with changes on applicable technical standards (EU MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S OEM- Virtual Manufacturer contract MDR Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
J TGA CER & EU MDR CER Requirements for Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
G MDR DRAFT DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F MDR Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Y EU MDR Technical Documentation - Defined Review EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Declaration of conformity MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 10
dgrainger Informational Manual on Borderline for MDR/IVDMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
G MDR Requirements for Samples EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Applicability of classification rule 9 under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Is testing according to IEC 60601-1 & IEC 60601-1-2 mandatory for a device being registered under MDR? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Ed Panek MDR question - Meaning of Stability CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
A EU MDR Annex II and Annex III CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
N MDR requirments EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O MDD products under MDR certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 12
I Where to find MDR compliance device? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Conformity assessment route options under the UK MDR 2002 (2002 SI No. 618), as amended UK Medical Device Regulations 1
C Clinical Trial using Prototype devices (EU MDR & ISO 14155) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDR Legal requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Audit Comment EU Medical Device Regulations 9
J Minor / Major findings with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R MDR Clinical Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Qualified MDR internal auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G MDR Translation Requirements in Member States EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R General Obligations of Importers under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V MDR – Article 65 – Clinical investigations on minors EU Medical Device Regulations 6