EU MDR Translation of Product Name

PVC Barbie

Starting to get Involved
We have a trademarked product which we are selling in EU. Under the new requirements to translate into all languages for the countries being sold into, I'm looking for clarification on whether or not the product name has to be translated. For example, product name "Gizmo* mini" followed by a descriptor (which I understand has to be translated), does the "mini" portion of the name have to be translated since its not the trademarked portion? If we trademark the whole name "Gizmo mini*" would that change anything?

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Hi, we have the same word "MINI" in the name of one of our products. For me, MINI is part of the tradename of the product under MDD and MDR, it is part of the device graphic logo and I've non translated it (but it is not included in the tradename registered with a national trademark office).
I've read you post recently and I came back now because I've just found the following here: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – EU MDR

Schermata 2021-04-30 alle 12.13.10.png
For me, MINI in my device name is not used to identify the device more than if its name was XYZ.

Maybe I made it wrong, our application is currently under review of our NB and I'll discover it soon.

SANE

Starting to get Involved
May I jump into this topic as well since I just face the same issue.

I followed the link to the MDCG but I still feel unsure what happens in the case once a wording is part of a trade name, not part of the trademark and if it is not internationally understood (so not as "mini"). For example the combined name for a device is "CytoALL Gewebefärbeset". This means it is also the product name to register it in the EUDAMED once possible. "Gewebefärbe Set" is typical German and not understood in many countries. So translation is needed. Once translated, will it require another registration as another product then?
As I see the registration base (EUDAMED) as described in MDCG papers shall offer three fields for translations, one for additional product descriptions in several languages but not for translated trade names.
I personally try to push CEOS not to take any words in local languages as part of the product names. But sometimes these products are already in the market and you have to take care of them to adapt all to the new regulations.

It would be great to get your input here as well which is so closely linked with the question of PVC Barbie`s and Cybel's post

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I suggest looking at the second bullet of Annex I 23.2:

(b) the details strictly necessary for a user to identify the device, the contents of the packaging and, where it is not obvious for the user, the intended purpose of the device;

So you could have the tradename as "CytoALL Gewebefärbeset" and not translate it, but you should then translate "Gewebefärb Set" to ensure the user can identify the device and its intended purpose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I What are suitable indicators and threshold values in MDR/IVDR? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Definition of SAE under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Harmonised Standards (EN ISO 13485 / EN ISO 14971) in MDR (2017/745/EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Clarity from EC on Importer/Distributor roles in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Pmarszal BS EN 20417:2021 - Implementation Timeline Aligned With MDR? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Dental lab acrylics and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Determining a device category according to the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Transactions under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
H Has anyone undergone MDR FQA review yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S UK MDR + EU MDR Declaration of Conformity UK Medical Device Regulations 2
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD VS MDR 2002-218 UK Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Liability Insurance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD to MDR - Tallow Derivatives Impact EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0