Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

European Foundation for Quality Management - EFQM Award

K

KHAN786

AS YOU MAY BE AWARE THE EUROPEAN FOUNDATION FOR QUALITY MANAGEMENT (EFQM) IS BASED ON BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT RATHER THAN PROCESS AND QUALITY IMPROVEMENT! THIS AWARD I GUESS IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO EUROPEAN COUNTRIES, IS THERE A SIMILIAR AWARD IN USA OR REST OF THE WORLD! AND IF SO WHAT DOES IT BRIEFLY ENTAIL!
ALL REPLIES HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

A

Andy Bassett

Hello KHAN

I am an assessor for the Business Excellence Model and was at a assessor preparation training in Brussels last week.

The EFQM has two Business Excellence Models, one for SME's and the so called 'Big Model' as you might expect one is a bigger version of the other.

Both models are being pushed quite hard as a method of improving European efficiency (although i think towing the politicians out into the channel and sinking their boat would be more effective).

I saw somewhere on this site a article predicting the end of ISO in favour of the BEM. This hasnt happened, Although i would personally very strongly favour BEM over ISO, it takes considerable more management time to implement.

The Business Excellence Model is in effect based on the American Malcolm Baldrige Award, and i think that the Japanese equivalent is called the Deming Prize.

I beleive you have to be a European company to apply for the Award, but strangely enough you dont have to be European to join the EFQM.

Anything else you want to know? What direction are coming from with this topic.

Regards

PS Marc - As i am getting close to 100 posts would like my address so you can send the free bottle of whiskey.

------------------
Andy B

It is rumored that the Baldridge award criteria is becoming oriented more toewards business improvement than proces or quality improvement. There was reference to this in a Quality Today E- letter that I recently received. They may be going in the direction of the EFQM.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
European Quality Awards Announced

Organizations representing Greece, Turkey and the United Kingdom have received Europe’s top prize in organizational excellence: the 2003 European Quality Award. Each year, recognition is given to businesses that display exceptional levels of excellence in eight criteria: results orientation; customer focus; leadership and constancy of purpose; management by processes and facts; people development and involvement; continuous learning, innovation and improvement; partnership development; and corporate social responsibility.

The award is sponsored by the European Foundation for Quality Management. There are three levels of recognition available to applicants: award winners, prize winners and finalists. Recipients of the 2003 European Quality Award are:

Bosch Sanayi ve Ticaret AS, Turkey (operational units category); award winner and prize winner in leadership and constancy of purpose

Runshaw College, United Kingdom (public sector category); award winner and prize winner in leadership and constancy of purpose

Maxi COMCOMAT, Greece (independent small/medium enterprise category); award winner and prize winner in results orientation

Edinburgh International Conference Centre, United Kingdom (subsidiary small/medium enterprise category); award winner and prize winner in people development and involvement

Special prizes were presented to nine additional organizations that excelled in one or more of the following criteria: leadership and constancy of purpose, customer focus, corporate social responsibility, people development and involvement, and results orientation. These organizations represented the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, the United Kingdom, Turkey, Switzerland, Italy and Germany.

2003 showed a record number of prize winners, plus an additional six organizations that were recognized as finalists. The total of four award winners has only occurred twice in the award’s 12-year history, in 1999 and 2000. In 2001, concerns were raised when no applicants earned enough points to receive an award. However, the structure of the EFQM’s excellence model and criteria were enhanced to provide more in-depth feedback on key strengths and areas for improvement.

For more information on each of the award winners, prize winners and finalists, visit www.efqm.org

Top Bottom