Evaluating Training Effectiveness - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training

G

Greg Mack

I am interested to learn how some companies are evaluating the effectiveness of training in respect to the new requirement in ISO9000:2000.
We have always monitored the effectiveness of external training, but only on the "effectiveness" of the training course and not on the actual "effectiveness" of the training in regards to the employees and the benefits recieved.
I look forward to the input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Larsen

I tend to suggest to my clients that they consider how existing systems can be used to demonstrate training effectivity before they design all new systems. For example, I use a method whereby reject issues are reviewed to determine the cause (operator, equipment, management oversight, customer). Any issue that is identified as "operator" suggests an issue involving poor instructions or a training issue. By trending the number of "operator" issues, the effectivity of training can be demonstrated. I also suggest that the company include a training review during personnel reviews (it's surprising how many companies overlook this prime place for measuring training effectiveness!) Essentially, the supervisor evaluates how well the employee is trained in evaluating performance. It's also a prime opportunity to determine training needs.

Beyond this, there may be places to use on the job testing, especially with higher level jobs. For example, I've used a final operational test as a measure to make an operator of a heat treat furnace full class. A supervisor witnessed the operator performing loading and unloading of the equipment, then had the operator perform an emergency shut down of the equipment, then had them start it up again. All this was documented on a checklist that went into their training file.

I don't advocate a performance test for everything, but they do have their place in many companies.

B

Bryan

We just completed our External audit and that question came up. We do employee performance evaluations twice a year and asked if that would meet the standard. The auditor told us yes it would. That is how we plan to show evidence of implimenting 6.2.2, performance reviews filed with HR.

J

Jon Shaver

Wow. I thought quality people had done away with "performance evaluations" ("eliminate merit or rating systems" ..... Deming).

One way to determine training effectiveness (aka understanding) is to do a little quiz at the end. The trainer notes (maybe on the attendance record) the questions asked and any people who didn't pass (presumably nobody).

G

Greg Mack

Hi Jon,

I think that the point that you have made is fine for evaluating the actual training session or course itself.

However, I am thinking more along the lines of evaluating the effectiveness of the training given in relation to how the employee now performs the task(s) following the training given.

D

donnammurphy

We have OJT Training modules for each section/position in the shop. Once the employee completes his module he is evaluated by the supervisor and also a peer to determine the competency of performing the task.

C

cyndi

Greg,
I posted a similar inquiry (General ISO Topics, March 3)and was hoping for a magical solution.

My most frustrating issue is getting the Managers to complete the paperwork as evidence that 1)training occurred and 2)training was effective. I like Marc's idea of evaluating training effectiveness, i.e. competence, during performance evaluations.

Any more magical solutions out there?
THANKS!

B

bobbid

TS 16949 Training - HR in charge - Need help!

I work in HR in an automotive company we are now starting to implement TS16949. I am having a hard time getting started. I'm responsible for training (competence, awareness etc) section. I am also in charge of employee motivation. If you have anything that will help me get started pls. post it as an attachment. I am looking for any forms, flowcharts work instruction (training on the job), training procedure. I know it will help me to get started. Thanks a million. :vfunny:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 9001:2000 - Evaluating Training Effectiveness and Why ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Evaluating competence on training for new ISO 13485 standard for employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Gman2 Evaluating training, needed for office personnel? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
M Informational US FDA – FDA provides updates on the agency’s continued commitment to evaluating postmarket safety of Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Evaluating the possibilities of using qmswrapper or greenlightguru Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Evaluating GRR Scores %Tol vs %TV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
P FDA - Evaluating Substantial Equivalence in Premarket Notifications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Quality Control Procedure and Procedure for Evaluating Sub Contractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Evaluating Vendor (Supplier) Products using SQC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Evaluating different Startup Options in EU and MDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J The 510(k) Program: Evaluating Substantial Equivalence in Premarket Notifications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Evaluating Lean Knowledge: Lean Philosophy Course for Production Engineering Students Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
A Evaluating an Integrated Management System - Dissertation Topic ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
optomist1 Evaluating Capability Indices with Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
C Trend Analysis - Evaluating Quality of Pricing - ANVOA or Std Dev? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
W Re-Evaluating Corrective Actions - Recurrence of a Customer Complaint Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
D Good source for Checking and Evaluating Control Plans needed FMEA and Control Plans 4
R EMP (Evaluating the Measurement Process) Studies for Bias Effect Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Evaluating a Regression Model Using the Constant Variance Assumption Six Sigma 8
Wes Bucey "Downsizing" ramifications - Evaluating and Interpreting the News World News 0
A Methods of evaluating compliance to ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
M Evaluating my QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G 100% Sort Verification - Statistical Method for Evaluating Suspect Material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
J Evaluating and Reporting the Results of Layered Process Audits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Gert Sorensen Evaluating Software for GMP Criticality? Software Quality Assurance 3
M Evaluating adverse effect on device tested with out of tolerance instrument General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Evaluating Internal Audit Results Internal Auditing 24
P Rockwell, Brinell, Vickers Conversion - Evaluating Aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
U Evaluating the aspects... All judgement based or is there a more objective way? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
Q "Service" Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation - How are you evaluating suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
N Evaluating Process Stability - Unstable Processes - Cpk/Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Z Seeking GM standard GM9684P - Procedure for evaluating parting lines Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
S Metrics for Evaluating Design process Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
C Evaluating software that measures Ppk, Cmk, Cpk, PPI, etc. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
H Good starting point for a new QC Manager? Evaluating Existing Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
G Evaluating Processes - Cycle Time Concepts - Three Levels for any process Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Evaluating the Effectiveness of Internal Audit Process Internal Auditing 16
Marc Evaluating 5.3 c - Quality Policy - Framework General Auditing Discussions 1
T Evaluating Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Risk Anlysis for Evaluating then Voiding or Not Issuing CPAR's Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
C Can anyone suggest a means of evaluating a suppliers performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
Raffy Evaluation Form - Re-evaluating suppliers for their performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
S Supplier Evaluation - Evaluating transport suppliers and equipment suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
D Evaluating Subcontractor On-time Delivery Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3