Evaluating training, needed for office personnel?

Gman2

Involved - Posts
I know ISO 9001-2000 requires you to show proof of training and evaluation for effectiveness, and this is a pretty easy thing to acheive with the machine operators, but how about office people? Do they need a training sheet with competencies that are reviewed on a certian basis?

It's getting crunch time with this training noncon and I am trying to get us conforming, any help would be great.

Thanks

G.

M

mshell

Gman,

We manage office personnel based on the requirements of their job description. Pre-employment competence is determined using education, past experience, references and training. Competency is evaluated on an annual basis using the job description, competency profile and annual review. If the employee has performed well in the position, our organization states that competence has been demonstrated.

I hope this helps.

Gman2

Involved - Posts
One other thought, how about plant supervisors? I would think the General manager, then that brings the next question who reviewes the plant manager and so on and so on.

WHERE DOES IT ALL END LOL!!

G.

M

mshell

That is a good thought. We are a small privately owned company and I have not yet figured out who is going to evaluate the President/Owner. Any ideas?

E

energy

Why?

mshell said:
That is a good thought. We are a small privately owned company and I have not yet figured out who is going to evaluate the President/Owner. Any ideas?

Never heard of evaluating a CEO/Owner. The very fact you have a place to work is proof of his/her competency. No? It ends where you want it to end! :bonk:

C

Cathy

HI all,

I agree with mshell but i go one step back and only ask for training and evaluation on areas that affect the quality of the product. That is all 9001 requires so I try to keep it simple.

Customer services for example are trained in order placement, customer care and order amendment (Basically contract review) anything else like PDP is still carried out but not within the context of the QMS.

As for supervisors we train them on people management, quality awareness and inspection standardised production processes, etc. (most of them are supervisors becasue these are skills they have already) and these are reviewed every year.

However, we still haven't the whole training thing mastered in our company yet!....I think they call that continual improvement!!

As for our CEO we leave him well alone!

Cathy

Randy

Super Moderator
I'll give you a straight answer....YES! What does this say?

6.2.1 General
Personnel performing work affecting product quality shall be competent on the basis of appropriate education,training, skills and experience.

6.2.2 Competence, awareness and training
The organization shall
a) determine the necessary competence for personnel performing work affecting product quality,
b) provide training or take other actions to satisfy these needs,
c) evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken,
d) ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to
the achievement of the quality objectives, and
e) maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills and experience (see 4.2.4).

If anybody is in position to do something that can effect the quality of you product and/or the performance of the system (which has the potential to effect product quality) you need to come up with some way to meet the requirement.

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Probably Not Any Help

Gman2,

Typically required competencies are established in Job Descriptions, or some such document, for the respective positions for which a company would hire personnel, whether office or manufacturing. Usually the hiring process involves some evaluation as to the person's education, training, and/or skills as they relate to these requirements. Evaluations beyond the hiring typically takes place when one is promoted or moved laterally, or during a periodic performance review. If this is how your company operates, then just incorporate it into your system. If not,then you would want to establish some variation on this theme.

Doug

Gman2

Involved - Posts
Soooo, I am thinking of leaving out HR, Quoting, and the VP as far as documented training and evaluation. That would leave me, sales/service, and purchasing. I believe there really needs to be some sort of documented training for these positions due to the fact that one of our bigest problem areas is order entry (s/s).
Great stuff, thanks a lot. Any more thoughts keep em coming!

G.

Randy

Super Moderator
Gman2 said:
Soooo, I am thinking of leaving out HR, Quoting, and the VP as far as documented training and evaluation. That would leave me, sales/service, and purchasing. I believe there really needs to be some sort of documented training for these positions due to the fact that one of our bigest problem areas is order entry (s/s).
Great stuff, thanks a lot. Any more thoughts keep em coming!

G.

What you are saying is that these folks have absolutely nothing to do with quality or system performance? Are they included in your system organization charts, mentioned in any procedures or work instructions, participate in any fashion in your business?

You might want to reconsider.

Top Bottom