Evaluation of our existing Suppliers

spacey

Involved In Discussions
I need to create a supplier evaluation for our existing suppliers

We have used the same suppliers for the same products for a number of years but now we are 9001 we need to evaluated them.

At the moment I am looking at the following method

Over a 12 month period review the Products with Non Conformances raised by the Suppliers product (A) against the number of Purchase Orders Delivered over the same 12 month period (B) to provide a % result (C)

Or can someone advise of a better way to do this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Supplier Evaluation

I suppose your suggested evaluation method would work just as well as any other, but before you change anything: How have you been handling this until now, and which actions have you been forced to initiate as a result?

I guess what I am saying is: Beware of overkill.

We have used the same suppliers for the same products for a number of years but now we are 9001 we need to evaluated them.

Over a 12 month period review the Products with Non Conformances raised by the Suppliers product (A) against the number of Purchase Orders Delivered over the same 12 month period (B) to provide a % result (C)

All your suppliers who have been supplying to you and to your satisfaction so far stand evaluated and selected. This can be your first criteria for supplier evaluation.
All there supply and acceptance records stands in testimony for your criteria.
Now move forward and decide on other criteria to add new suppliers.

spacey

Involved In Discussions

I suppose your suggested evaluation method would work just as well as any other, but before you change anything: How have you been handling this until now, and which actions have you been forced to initiate as a result?

I guess what I am saying is: Beware of overkill.
We have not had the resources to handle this before, although I say we have used the same suppliers for years, we have also used other suppliers too.

We want to have a good relationship with our suppliers, hence we do not want to overkill them with forms, but work with them when there is an issue which arises.

The percentage is something we can monitor in future years.

We want to have a good relationship with our suppliers, hence we do not want to overkill them with forms, but work with them when there is an issue which arises.
Understood, and commendable. So maybe you have been handling it after all? It would appear that you have noticed issues and dealt with them, perhaps without written procedures and all that many forms, but my guess is that you have done it in a reasonably similar way every time? If so, I think you have the embryo to your supplier evaluation procedure right there.

I like your wish to work with the customers and avoid too much red tape. Things get so much better for everyone with that outlook. :agree1:

G

Geoff Withnell

Re: Supplier Evaluation of our existing Suppliers

Ok, start with the basic idea that your current supplier(s)' quality performance is acceptable. I assume this is true, since you are not looking for new suppliers. From existing data, determine the current process performance (% defective or what ever other number floats your boat). Periodically (quarterly, semi-annually, yearly, whatever makes sense given criticality of product and availability of resources), recalculate process performance. Compare current to historical performance. If there is no statistical difference, continue. If there is a statistical improvement, congratulate your supplier and question if this level is going to be maintained - if so change target. If there is a statistically significant degradation, question supplier on what the dickens is going on, and act according to your company's interest based on the response.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

spacey,

Ask why the current suppliers are preferred by your company.

These reasons are the actual criteria used for reselecting these suppliers.

Do not "create" anything to solve a problem you do not have.

John

L

lccsuppliers

Spacey,

You should create KPIs like on time delivery, PPM, lead time etc. than you can evaluate your suppliers based on these KPIs. thanks

The easiest way is to grandfather your existing suppliers. They have already been vetted by their faithful service over the course of months or years. You really don't need to re-evaluate them.

One way to do that is to complete a grandfather form for each one with wording like: __________________ has been a faithful supplier for the last __ years and as such has proven their ability to meed our needs. Signed __________ Date ___________.

Another could be to list all your current suppliers and add a similar statement to the list.

Another could be to put the grandfather statement in your quality manual and show which suppliers were grandfathered with a column on your Approved Supplier List with a G in it for grandfathered. If desired, this column could show how and when future suppliers are added too (S for evaluation of a survey, V for site visit, and so on).

Don't make this harder for yourself than you need to.

M

MikeLQSR

I've developed all of the supplier KPI's for my company and we have implemented them globally. For each supplier (currently have over 1000) I generate an RPN - very similar to an FMEA. They include the following:

All of the four major criteria is assigned a number - either 1, 3 or 5. Then the four numbers are multiplied together which in turn generates our RPN number which can easily be reviewed and appropriate action can be taken.

1) Purchased Product vs. Non Conforming product (3yr historical) (anything above 96% acceptance is a low risk supplier - therefore assigned a 1)

2) Criticality of supplier - In excel I created a pivot table of our supplier vs how many purchase orders we have ordered from them in a 3yr time period. The average number of purchase orders becomes the mid point - any suppliers which we order more than the average become a CRITICAL supplier, any supplier less than average is a lower tier supplier. (Anything above average is assigned a 5)

3) Supplier total spend - same as #2 - in excel take average spend of all your suppliers. Any supplier above the average spend becomes a CRITICAL supplier, below average is a low tier supplier (anything above average is assigned a 5)

4) State of manufacture - Based on the number of natural disasters we can assess if the supplier is in a natural disaster prone state. Any more than one natural disaster per year is critical. (any more than 1 major disaster a year is assigned a 5)

As an example say Supplier XYZ Corp rates as the following:

1) 97% acceptance = RPN of 1
2) Average PO's (all suppliers) is 40, XYZ Corp we've cut 56 = RPN of 5
3) Average spend (all suppliers) is $100k, we spend $130k = RPN of 5
4) They are located in California - on average California has more than 1 nat. disaster per year = RPN of 5

So we then multiply:
1 X 5 X 5 X 5 = 125

So Supplier XYZ corp has a RPN of 125 (Max would be 625). Within my criteria I would classify XYZ Corp as a very high risk and would ensure we treated them as such. (eg having alternate vendors, contingency plans, etc). There is also other ways I evaluate my suppliers such as scorecarding, self assessments, onsite audits, business acumen, and a few others. This may be overkill for your company but for me being in a regulated Pharma industry it is better to have much tighter / stricter supplier controls than not as this is a key area to my customers.

Hope this helps!!
Mike

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Doninina Biological evaluation procedure or plan EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Critical Supplier Initial evaluation for single purchases Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
T Supplier Evaluation - *ALL* Suppliers to business? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Unused proceses (Clinical Evaluation) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M An introductory guide to medical device Clinical Evaluation & Clinical Evaluation Reports (CER) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Applicable Great Britain regulations for a custom-built test rig or evaluation kit used for research purposes only. Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
H MDR clinical evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
I Supplier Evaluation Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Supplier Evaluation report - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Impact to clinical evaluation of MDCG2022-14 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Clinical evaluation for instrument of a navigation system EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Formative evaluation report IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
A Loss of certification because of outdated information in the Clinical Evaluation Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M Supplier Evaluation for Cold Chain Distribution of Human Tissues Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R MDR Clinical Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Clinical Evaluation - state of the art literature search EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Clinical Evaluation MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 15
L Supplier performance evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Revamping Supplier Qualification, Re-evaluation, and Monitoring Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J ISO 9001:2015 Is a Project Evaluation form necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Clinical evaluation for legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M Clinical evaluation report training EU Medical Device Regulations 3
MaHoDie Summative Evaluation with Post-Market Data? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
K Continue to do clinical evaluation? or transfer to RA? or focus on clinical studies as MA? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
O CLINICAL EVALUATION - VACCUM PLANTS Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Evaluation of suppliers API Spec Q1 5.6.1.2c Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B Creation and evaluation of new jobs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
E DESIGN VALIDATION, USABILITY AND CLINICAL EVALUATION request Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Summative evaluation: how many sample per participant? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
SANTHSH Consumables, Paints, End-covers, NDE Chemicals & Tools suppliers classification and evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
Aymaneh IVDR and Performance Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Clinical Evaluation of equivalent device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
L Clinical evaluation plan EU Medical Device Regulations 17
C Biologic Evaluation based on ISO 10993-1 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 18
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
P GSPRs / Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
S Regular updates of clinical evaluation report EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Surface finish (Evaluation Length) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3