Everybody ready for round 2? Our next audit is in late January

KimGr

Starting to get Involved
Our next audit is in late January. As the fall weather hits in New England my anxiety is kicking up a little bit. Did you glean any insights for focus this next round during your transition audit? I'm feeling like there wasn't much time for anyone [including auditors] to fully prepare for the transition and the auditors will be even better this year. I picked up on employee awareness 7.3.1 [documented information] from our conversations in the last audit. Got the impression he felt we were surface compliant but out of time to dig in further in round 1.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
We have our first IATF 16949 surveillance audit 12 days from now, i'll let you know how we get on.

I'm fairly sure we still meet the minimum requirements for everything, exceed in many areas and massively exceed in some, (they will be the ones that benefit us the most) so it's probably more a judgement of how well we have maintained and improved upon what was already in place, this time around :).

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have the answer to being anxious! Apart from anything else, trying to prepare for a specific auditor is NOT the aim here, despite this being the #1 issue, it's frankly a complete waste of time.

Try this: Set out the goals which were set for the processes. Yield, timeliness, whatever you've set with the leadership. Look at customers' flowed down requirements and look to see if your goals are at least similar.

Take a look at what you've been monitoring and measuring regarding processes and products and look at how that stacks up against the goal. Then, if you aren't achieving your goals, look at what corrective actions have been identified and (if) they are being taken. Also, look at feedback from customers.

Then, throw your internal audit results onto the table to see if people have been following the processes defined in your QMS - and voila! You've just done "Management Review"...

If the auditor wants anything else, tell them to pack sand!

KimGr

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the advice Andy! I'm not so much preparing for the auditor. He's actually great. I didn't feel like he was interjecting his opinion outside of the requirements. I'm a little.....shall we say, Type A - that doesn't help with the anxiety! LOL

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kim: I've found that not being passive to the auditor - by which I mean not awaiting their questioning - but to take control and walk them through what you've done is faaaaar better than the old school advice about not answering questions until asked etc.. You make their lives easier, it reduces the reasons for misunderstandings and moves things along. It'll help with that Type A stuff, too!;)