Exact Format of Clause 2 References

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
In the quality manual, if writing a reiterative document that follows the format of the ISO 9001:2000 standard, what is the exact format of the references I want to cite in my brief section 2?

on top of that, what references -do- I want to site? Our quality system is based solely ISO 9000.

I have seen ANSI/ISO/ASQC A9000:2000
and simply ISO 9000:2000.

I'm citing ISO 9000:2000, ISO 9001:2000, AIAG PPAP, AIAG SPC, AIAG APQP, AIAG MFMEA, AIAG MSA, and the procedures I have written to support our QMS.

Any suggestions on how to list these and any other references I may want to include?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We have a list that includes the industry specs such as ASTM, ABS, AASHTO and a whole bunch of others. This section also serves as kind of a "master list" of the industry specs that we controll (update when new revs are released)

R

RosieA

Atetsade,

I would cite any standard you have used to set up your system, as long as you are prepared to be audited against that standard.

For example, you may choose to use a standard as a guideline vs conforming to the standard. I would NOT list standards that I use as guidelines, only those to which I claim conformance.

Per a previous registrar, If you have an RAB accreditation mark, you're supposed to cite the US accepted version of ISO 9000, which is ANSI/ISO/ASQ (not ASQC) Q90001-2000.

I have never, never, never done this. Why do it? It is not required. So what value does it add to your QMS?

apestate

well now I realize it doesn't add a **** thing to the system to add which documents I referenced in writing the manual.

then again, it does add something to the system... since this is the first registration audit at this company ever and since without the certification we will be closing the doors. and since the system is one of continual improvement, as long as we pass the first audit we'll be adding to the QMS anyway. and since the registrar auditor has said that the quality manual is usually a reiteration of the standard itself, I think for my first quality manual I'm going to reiterate the standard in form and content.

and since I'm here for the long haul and going after automotive tier 1's in the area, I have a feeling the QMS will come around quite nicely. when it does, this forum will have been the #1 cause of that, and I'll be here to see it too, just because I'm doing little things like citing the references used to write the QMS.

this is a compromise, but it will satisfy all of the requirements of ISO 9001. It isn't as pure as a hand rolled system using state-of-the-age techniques in documentation and process thinking, but it will document and identify our process approach.

the references aren't a big deal either, just a sideline, but knowing the exact format to make the auditor feel warm, fuzzy & welcome is exactly how I'm going to do it. ;)

apestate

the added -value- is that we're more likely to be recommended after the first audit. I realize this may not be the best way to view the system, but I must impress upon you that I'm not merely looking for a certificate. I am looking for excellence. I have no experience besides what I've gained here on this job, and the only way I know how to write a qm is this way, reiterative, narrative, and with references to supporting documentation.

this quality system is nothing without registration before the end of the year. with registration, well... it has the ability to really perform where it counts. continually, and for the future.

Okay, I can live with that. I just hate to see folks add complexity to the system without reason. It sounds like you have thought it out and made a decision. That is a major step that many don't do. They just hear someone say something somewhere and then they think what they heard is the law.

Good luck on your audit, and I'm sure we will be hearing from you with good results.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
atetsade said:
In the quality manual, if writing a reiterative document that follows the format of the ISO 9001:2000 standard, what is the exact format of the references I want to cite in my brief section 2?

on top of that, what references -do- I want to site? Our quality system is based solely ISO 9000.

I have seen ANSI/ISO/ASQC A9000:2000
and simply ISO 9000:2000.

I'm citing ISO 9000:2000, ISO 9001:2000, AIAG PPAP, AIAG SPC, AIAG APQP, AIAG MFMEA, AIAG MSA, and the procedures I have written to support our QMS.

Any suggestions on how to list these and any other references I may want to include?
Hi Atetsade -

4.2.2b requires that the manual contain documented procedures or reference to them. I only listed our own internal procedures. If you started listing documents of external origin (other than the standard(s) you are registered to) you would almost have to continue and list customer supplied Supplier Quality Requirements Manuals, ISO documents such as 10012-1 - QA Requirements for Measuring Equip and 19011:2002 - Guidelines for Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing, and on and on.

The AIAG documents you listed above are reference manuals, as are the ISO documents I just listed above. Your documented procedures - whether they are in flow diagram or text format - can make reference to any other internal or external documents that you may have written your procedures "in accordance with".

I have attached my QPM in the thread "Is your company registered to ISO9001:2000" page 10. I chose to reference some procedures in the Process Diagrams and others in a simple list format. See what you think! :)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
db said:
I have never, never, never done this. Why do it? It is not required. So what value does it add to your QMS?
For most it may add nothing....we like it because it is a ready reference for people across the plant who may need to see the standard/spec occasionally someplace to see if it is one that we are "selling" to, and have up to date copies of. We don't buy multiple copies.

I really do believe in the "show me the shall" principal and I do question my registrar about some things, but we do need to remember here that the quality system belongs to the company and we may need things that are not required by a "shall" in order to make things easier for our employees. JMHO...I don't mean to start anything just throwing out some food for thought.

ccochran

Southern Gentleman
Example quality manual

Atetsade,

I've attached an example Quality Manual for a fictional company, showing one way that you could number the introductory sections. In the example QM, section 1 is "Introduction and process diagram," section 2 is "Scope and exclusions," section 3 is "Quality policy." Then section 4 picks up with the basic requirements of ISO 9001:2000 in user-friendly words (not necessarily the exact verbiage from the standard). As Dave B. pointed out, this is certainly not a requirement, though it could have some advantages.

Why include *your translation* of the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 in the quality manual? Here are a few reasons, some of which have already been mentioned;

1) Many registrars require in their contracts that the Quality Manual "include a commitment to all the requirements in ISO
9001:2000," or some such language. This can be accomplished by including your version of the verbiage from ISO 9001:2000.

2) Having the verbiage of the standard also allows the organization to
customize it in a way that makes sense to them. They can translate the
requirements into terms they're familiar with. The standard becomes
understandable throughout their organization.

3) Having the verbiage from the standard (or customized verbiage, preferably) facilitates an elaboration on exactly HOW the organization plans to meet some of the requirements. The standard in many places asks the organization to "define" or "determine" things that don't warrant stand-alone procedures, and the Quality Manual is a good place to put this kind of detail. Including the language from the standard puts these things in a context that's understandable. Without the verbiage from the standard, it's often hard to understand why the clarification is being provided.

4) Having a Quality Manual with the verbiage from the standard is a
good starting point in an audit. That way, you can put the standard
away and simply use their Quality Manual (with also will include
additional valuable detail).

Feel free to use or edit the example I've attached. It is by no means a 'best practice,' just one more example to throw into the pot and stir around. A significant weakness is that the example doesn't do a good job of translating the standard into use-friendly terms (...I got tired of working on it).

CC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Craig Cochran
Center for International Standards & Quality
Georgia Institute of Technology
[email protected]

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
shrutisancheti Exact Classification for Trans Radial Compression Device per EU directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Do titles that are called out in processes and procedures have to be exact? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Calibration Dates - Exact day or end of month? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
G What is the exact meaning of Single Fault condition? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Using Exact Words from ISO 9001:2008 in Level 1 Document (Quality Assurance Manual) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
S Use of Exact Text with the Graphical Symbols in User Guides EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Definition OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) - Exact definition of OEM Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
ScottK Definition Copy Exact - Committment to abide by a Process Control Plan without deviation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 34
J What is the exact meaning of "calendar year"? TS2-Rules2 clause 4.13 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M Can two exact forms be placed in one centralized location with two different QA-P-#'s Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
N How to Extract LxWxH from JT format ? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
M DI format for UDI after we have registered it with GS1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 - I need a format for Design & Development planning ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
A Usable version of MDR in Word format CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K FDA Lot Code format requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D FDA Date Format Requirement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D API Q1 Supplement Audit Format Internal Auditing 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
PastorBee13 IATF 16949 Audit Nonconformance Responses per 5.1.1.2 - Format IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Excel date format from Denmark to USA Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
D Risk Register - have we considered enough and is the format acceptable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
egonzalez215 MDSAP and Procedure Format ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Medical Device Registration & Technical Format/Template - European Union CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
1 KPI Dashboard Template in Excel Format wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
C Manufacturing Process Work Instructions - Format Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
H GHTF and IMDRF - Alternative for the STED format EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.2.2 Internal Audit - Corrective Action Report Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
H Part 147 AMTO Audit Plan example and Audit Report Format wanted EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
V Template / format for Device History File & Design Verification of transdermal patch 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S IEC 62366 - Usability Test Protocol format Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S ISO 9001:2015 clauses and clause details in Excel format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11