Exactly which are the records needed by ISO9001? or is it my decision?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody.

I´m with the resposibility to create the Records control procedure
and several doubts arised, hope you can assist me.

I know we need to have records as an evidence
but also as an object used to improve the quality.

But have the next doubts:

1-There are some records already defined to take care of, but
exactly which are needed by ISO? or is my decision?

2-I have design and development, in the case of records for validation, revision of designs, should I have one record for every drawing to be revised,validated? suppose I generate a lot of drawings, will I have to keep tons of records?

3- in the case of records for preventive, corrective actions,
is it needed to keep only the CAR´s PAR´s forms?, or
also calculation sheets, checklists,letters, manufacturers, data?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
You decide it. The ISO9001 standard at several places helps you in this.
Now even without the ISO9001, you are maintaining so many records. I am sure you have a reason for it. If not, you would not have made then and maintained them.
If any of that reason touches your QMS requirement, you need them.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Marc

But in case of records for DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
should I keep every record for every drawing revised, verified?
also check-lists? calculation sheets?

In my case, I create about 3000 dwgs in every project
do I have to keep records of checking for all drawings?

I suppose records are evidence of the revisions, drawings
are not records.

Thanks

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Marc

are not records.

Thanks
As to what you are saying, you can decide as per your mandatory records control procedure, what you shall also include and how you deal with records related customer requirements as well as regulatory and statutory requirements.
For instance there are law in each country that oblige you to mantain some records related to your employees for all their working life plus 5 year after their retirement for your company or records related to production that you have to retain for 15 years after the last produced compenent ( this in the automotive market).
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Last edited:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Marc

are not records.

Thanks
In part it would depend upon how critical the product is. If you're making heart pacemakers or automotive airbags you're going to want an excellent revision history (think configuration management). If you're making rubber duckies for kids to play with in the bath design history is going to be less important.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Marc

But I mean the records are kept, for each drawing?
normally, we crosscheck them with other disciplines
and have comments of each drawing, also when it raises
to next revisions, is the same, we use a printout for mark up
and so on.

One final drawing, until it reaches the approval for construction
normally has up to 6 printouts of comments.

Do I have to keep all the printouts (records) of all the drawings?
or only picking up some of them as records?

Thanks for clarify

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Marc

and so on.

Thanks for clarify
I guess you are speaking about constructions in facilities field. I think you have ad hoc package for each project, don't you?
My question is: which kind of regulations and country laws do you follow? Do you have customer requirements about the lenght of retention and what to retain?
If yes, this item will command you to retain record.
The record retention and the item shall comply with what you established in yor documented provedure for records control.
Marc raised a good point , as I said in my post too, automotive is a very stringent sector, You shall investigate yours and make benchamarkig to proceed in this sense:bigwave:

arios

Your Mexican Amigo
There you go another list. The first two slides show records shared by ISO 9001 and ISO 13485, The last two ISO 13485 only

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Marc

and so on.

Thanks for clarify
Every time the pen touches paper, you are not creating your ISO records. Design and developments outputs are design records and not the engineers scrap book or working sheets. Before design release what comes out as drafts for trials, samples or prototypes are still design evolution records from where you get your first design release and then they are addressed as changes or revisions to them.
All other things beneath are a part of your engineers intelligence expressed from mind to paper/file in system. At times, some vital reasons for making a change are indeed documented and they come into the design history or engineering change details as the case may be. There are times when statutory requirements ask for certain information which gets the respect as a QMS record.
Keeping all this in mind I am sure you can make clarity about what IS and what IS NOT your design records.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L ISO 14001 4.4.4 d) - What exactly are the documents and records required by ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
A What exactly has to be included in a TS 16949 records matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Exactly how high in the organization is it necessary to have training records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
L What exactly does Configuration Management in ISO 9001, Clause 7.5.3 means? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Crusader Who is "Top Management" exactly in ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A What exactly is Facility Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Control Plan vs. Inspection Plan - What exactly is the difference FMEA and Control Plans 5
S What exactly is retesting? Is re-analysis and retesting the same? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K What exactly is Digital Product Definition? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
ScottK What exactly is a "Process of Record" and what goes into it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Who exactly needs "ISO Training" in a company? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R Definition What is exactly meaning of word between "Supplier" and "Vendor" ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R What exactly would a Stage I Assessment consist of for ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Precontrol - What if two points are exactly on the limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J What exactly does 4.2.3.1 "Engineering Specifications" in ISO/TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
Q Control methods - What exactly are 'control methods' in a Control Plan APQP and PPAP 6
Crusader Where do I exactly implement TS 16949 - minimum? Only 2% of business is OEM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Marc Six Sigma is now said to be a set of tools - What, exactly, are they? Six Sigma 24
D Automotive manufacturing process - Our process isn't exactly like APQP APQP and PPAP 5
S What does OEM exactly mean? What does "equipment" include? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R NIST - Primary Standard - Traceable to what? What exactly does that imply? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Tom W Not responsible for product design - Exactly which parts of 7.3 do not apply? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F Definition Retention Zone - What exactly are you calling zones of retention? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D APQP - No two companies conduct their APQP/PPAP activities exactly alike APQP and PPAP 2
D Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly Cm / Cmk are? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
M Informational EU – Hearing on the SCHEER preliminary Guidelines on the presence of Phthalates in certain medical devices (Brussels, 04 April 2019) – Summary records Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10