Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
By definition all noise is uncontrollable. You might be able to control it for a short period of time, but it is ultimately not feasible or too expensive to control long term.

Noise may be categorized into the following:
  • Piece to piece variation (design tolerances, manufacturing variation, operator variation, process stream variation, tooling/cavity variation, etc.)
  • Changes over life variation (machine/tooling wear, shrinkage/expansion, compression set, etc.)
  • Internal environment variation (manufacturing/storage conditions, system interactions, component clearances)
  • Customer usage variation (application, misuse)
  • External environment variation (application conditions: temperature, humidity, shock & vibe, etc.)

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
By noise do you mean sounds? or random variation in the data? or perhaps conditions that effect your product that you might think are uncontrollable?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
By noise do you mean sounds? or random variation in the data? or perhaps conditions that effect your product that you might think are uncontrollable?
I think by referring to a p-diagram the OP intended uncontrollable factors that cause random variation in the output. Noise is a category used in p-diagrams.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I looked at the site Miner referenced. The paragraph that addresses 'noise' is quite interesting:

"Noise Factors are things that can influence the design but are not under the direct control of the engineer, such as piece-to-piece variation, normal degradation of materials or equipment over time, intended and unintended customer usage, foreseeable environmental conditions and system interactions. These noise factors, if not protected against, can make the design ineffective; in other words, the design should be robust against the expected noise factors."
With this context I can understand why Miner said the noise factors can't be controlled.

I've always disliked the term 'noise' when used as a descriptor of factors as it is too vague and easy to misinterpret it and it often different meanings in different contexts...meh.

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions
By definition all noise is uncontrollable. You might be able to control it for a short period of time, but it is ultimately not feasible or too expensive to control long term.

Noise may be categorized into the following:
  • Piece to piece variation (design tolerances, manufacturing variation, operator variation, process stream variation, tooling/cavity variation, etc.)
  • Changes over life variation (machine/tooling wear, shrinkage/expansion, compression set, etc.)
  • Internal environment variation (manufacturing/storage conditions, system interactions, component clearances)
  • Customer usage variation (application, misuse)
  • External environment variation (application conditions: temperature, humidity, shock & vibe, etc.)
Thanks, this is what I know from a Ford training, too. Now, the new AIAG Handbook shows a P- Diagram for PFMEA too. But in the example, they show the 4M, what are Process elements and not noise factors in my understanding. Therefore I ask, if someone have tried to use the P-Diagram for a Process. I think this could be done, but only with the same systematic like above. Is PTP Variation, the Variation of machining? It would be great if someone can show an example.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The 4P can work as well, but I think it is less focused than the 5 noise categories. In addition 4P applies to the inputs and control factors as well. It is a step in the wrong direction.

Yes, part 2 part variation would include variation due to machining. Few people will be willing to share this as it will be viewed as proprietary information. Have you tried searching for "parameter diagram images"? There are numerous examples online.

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions
The 4P can work as well, but I think it is less focused than the 5 noise categories. In addition 4P applies to the inputs and control factors as well. It is a step in the wrong direction.

Yes, part 2 part variation would include variation due to machining. Few people will be willing to share this as it will be viewed as proprietary information. Have you tried searching for "parameter diagram images"? There are numerous examples online.
I think, we are on the same path:). Yes, I have tried to find one, but not successfully for a process.

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions

Dear Miner, could you please explain me, what 4P stand for?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Example of Turtle Diagram with Risk/Opportunities General Auditing Discussions 1
C IT Internal Audit Turtle Diagram example wanted Internal Auditing 3
B Example Turtle diagram needed Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Anerol C Corrective Preventive Action Turtle Diagram example needed Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Risk managment report of Surgical Mask Example ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Redacted 510(k)s - Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A ISO/TS 22163 Item 5.2.4 Safety policy - Example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
I Functional Safety Analysis/Report Example IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H Man Hour Plan 145.A.30 example needed EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
MichaelDRoach Oganization's Self Declaration of Conformance to ISO 28000 wording example wanted Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
A Australia TGA Medical Device Sponsor Agreement - Example or Template Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
J ISO 13485 8.4 Analysis of Data - Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
N ISO 9001: 2015 - Example standards policies, procedures, acknowledgements and checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
supadrai How does the FDA count violations of, for example, misbranding? (Medical Devices) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
D Laboratory Manual ISO/IEC 17025 Example wanted ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
P Template or example Excel list of ISO certificates issued to clients ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Example wanted - Template for internal audit IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Example ISO 14971 policy and risk criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Example of 9001:2015 audit report with non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
D Where I can find an ISO 13485:2016 Audit Schedule example? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Clinical evaluation Meddev (2.7.1 revision 4) - Example or Template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Looking for an example of a medical device file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C PFMEA example with machining (lathe+mill) FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Simple Example for PFMEA / Control Plan Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
T Process Matrix for ISO 9001 - SRI requests R.20 44KO Sample/Example ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D IATF 16949 - 8.5.2.1 Traceability Plan - Does anyone have an example? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L I need an example rework procedure/instruction for injected plastic parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3
A Technical File Procedure (for Company) - Example wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example Medical Device Validation Plan and Report wanted CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Example System & Process Audit Check Sheet for IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1