Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Example or Definition of Engineering Specifications - ISO/TS 16949 - 4.2.3.1

Filip M.

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

what do I understand under "customer engineering standards/specifications" ?

Can someone give me a good and clear example or definition of engineering specifications ?

Anyhow, what's the essential different between a "customer engineering standards/specifications" and "customer standards/specifications" ?

Thanks for a reply.

Filip

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Re: ISO/TS 16949 - 4.2.3.1 Engineering specifications

Can someone give me a good and clear example or definition of engineering specifications?
Generally speaking, engineering standards are documented, prescribed methods for conducting verification and testing of product attributes and characteristics. Specifications, on the other hand, are the specific requirements that the product is expected to meet. The line between the two is blurred sometimes--standards often include specifications.

A good example of an engineering standard is ASTM B117, a document that describes methods for corrosion testing of plated or painted parts using salt spray exposure. You might find that standard called out on a drawing, along with a specification for the amount of exposure required, and what the acceptable results are. Sometimes customers will have their own standards.

Anyhow, what's the essential different between a "customer engineering standards/specifications" and "customer standards/specifications" ?
There is no difference.

Filip M.

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Jim,

after your explanations, I think in our case it's not applicable.

Exist there also a standard or an other document with the definition of "engineering specification", so we can argue to our auditors.

Thanks for a reply,

Filip

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim,

after your explanations, I think in our case it's not applicable.

Exist there also a standard or an other document with the definition of "engineering specification", so we can argue to our auditors.

Thanks for a reply,

Filip
Please tell us exactly what your auditor said, and we'll be better able to help. If you receive standards and/or specifications from your customers, then the requirements of 4.2.3.1 are going to be applicable.

Top Bottom