Informational Examples of Quality Objectives and Targets

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Quality Objectives and Targets - Can anyone give me some examples?

Fair enough.

I plan to couple them with the definition and acronym below:

Objective: “something to be achieved”
- ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N 526R2

SMART - George Doran (1981)
I have no idea why anyone feels the need to provide definitions for words everyone knows. The "SMART" thing (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) can help to clarify what an objective should look like (although "attainable" and "realistic" are the same thing), but I think most people know what goals are.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stimpy

Starting to get Involved
Re: Quality Objectives and Targets - Can anyone give me some examples?

I found this thread while looking for samples of quality objectives just like the original poster. The information in some of the replies was helpful. Thank you.

On a side note, I cannot help but think that none of this should be required by ISO, Aerospace, or any other quality system. Sorry to be frank, but I feel that too many people drank the Kool-Aid and this is one requirement that doesn't seem to have any bearing on the "quality" of a company. Why require this? What is the point of forcing companies to specify such things in a Quality Manual or System?

I'm not saying that setting quality objectives is worthless. There is value to it if companies indeed set and obtain goals. But....why require any company to state these goals in their quality manual. It what way does this benefit customers? How does this benefit the employees?

Increasing on-time delivery a certain amount; Reducing scrap rates by such and such percent; Reducing the number of customer complaints or NCR's by 14.3%;... These are all good things. But why should any of this stated in a Quality Manual? Makes zero sense to me.

T

TigerLilie

Re: Can anyone give me some examples of Quality Objectives and Targets?

Where I work, our quality goals, which are documented on our quality policy, are:
Defect-free workmanship,
On-time delivery,
Excellent customer satisfaction ratings.

We tailor our metrics to support these goals. Although in my opinion it doesn't always add much value. In my vision, our quality goals moving targets. For example, on-time delivery is not an issue here, whereas supplier quality issues hit our bottom line. Therefore I would like to see very general quality goals on the quality policy and specific, relevant quality goals set during management reviews and measured until the next review.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Stimpy,

Indeed, but clause 4.2.1d tells us the extent we must document such things.

In order to work competently within a process we must know what we are trying to achieve. It's useful to know what those before and after us in the process team are trying to achieve too.

And for the top managers to evaluate the performance of their organization as a system they must know what they were trying to achieve.

ISO 9001:2015 looks as if it will be less prescriptive as to the types of documents we must maintain in the documented parts of our management systems.

John

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Sorry to be 'picky' but the standard doesn't say that they must be documented in the quality manual - it states within the quality management system documentation.

I would probably never put them in the policy or the manual - I would mention them in both documents but as for documenting them in there - no.

It is interesting to look at what 9001:2015 requires by way of objectives - I think it is an improvement over what is in 9001:2008.

B

bluepagen

Sorry to be 'picky' but the standard doesn't say that they must be documented in the quality manual - it states within the quality management system documentation.

I would probably never put them in the policy or the manual - I would mention them in both documents but as for documenting them in there - no.

It is interesting to look at what 9001:2015 requires by way of objectives - I think it is an improvement over what is in 9001:2008.
Everyone has good comments. I understand the requirement to mean that you should be able to get your goals from your quality policy. That is how we did it. We always receive good remarks about the format from our auditors both for ISO and API. Including a generic copy of what we do.

Attachments

S

Straliatto

Objectives and targets are something related to ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001, not ISO 9001.

ISO 9001 standard requires from organization to etablish quality objectioves that needs to be measurable and timed, for example "Incerae of annual turnover for 5% compared to last year"

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Objectives and targets are something related to ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001, not ISO 9001.

ISO 9001 standard requires from organization to etablish quality objectioves that needs to be measurable and timed, for example "Incerae of annual turnover for 5% compared to last year"
So how does that example of an objective help to achieve the overall goal of ISO 9001 i.e. <snip> consistently provide product that meets customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements<snip>?

S

Straliatto

So how does that example of an objective help to achieve the overall goal of ISO 9001 i.e. <snip> consistently provide product that meets customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements<snip>?
The objective I stated in previous comment is more a consequence than a cause of provision of product that meets customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. It is indirectly related with customer satisfaction.

"Increase of customer satisfaction for 20% compared to last year" would be objective more directly in line with your comment, or "Decrease of customer complaints to 0 in 2015".

Regards

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Has anything significantly changes with regard to ISO 9001 Quality Objectives and Targets?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Examples of Quality Objectives related to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P How to set quality objectives of R&D outsourcing - Examples please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Quality Objectives Examples ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Quality Objectives - Examples and Measurement of status/achievement of Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P What should a Quality Plan Include and Examples Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Need examples of ISO 9001 Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Pls provide some examples of Quality System Basics (QSB) Internal Auditing 3
G Examples of Quality Management Techniques Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W QOS (Quality of Service) Charts examples requested. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Y Improvement Projects and Quality Plan (Examples and Advice needed) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Quality Manual ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 Procedure examples wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Examples of Change and Quality talk at our all hands meeting Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J Medical Device Quality Manual Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Examples of Quality Records Master List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Looking for Quality Plan Examples - Medical Devices - ISO 13485 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A ISO 17025 Aligned Quality Manual Examples ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Looking for Examples of Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
U Quality control with non-normal, censored and truncated data examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
J Supplier Quality Plans - Non-automotive company - Seeking examples Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
K Plastic mold injection manufacturing - Quality Manual examples please Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
S Process Mapping and Quality Procedures Examples Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 37
J AS9100a and ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manual and Document Examples Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 32
I TS 16949 Quality Manual Templates - Lots of free examples and great discussion! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 159
V ISO9001:2000 Quality Work Instructions & Forms - Seeking Templates and Examples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 41
S Trying to find examples of job descriptions for Quality Assurance functions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Y Examples of TRB Reports for MIL-PRF-31032 Qualification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I ISO 22000:2018 - Operational Prerequisite Program Examples Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1
L IATF 16949 Warranty Management System examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
R Examples of inherent safety by design ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 83
O Examples of the external and internal issues and their risks and opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Medical Device Traceability Matrix - Examples EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Ajit Basrur Looking for examples of "User Training" - ISO 13485 section 7.2.1 d) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Manufacturing Work Instruction examples that include process pictures Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15