Informational Examples of Quality Objectives and Targets

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Focus on those business objectives that affect the customer.

Thereby turning them into quality objectives.

Purchasing, for example, is all about selected a supplier that delivers the best value to you and your customers. Least hassle usually equates to the lowest cost of doing business.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Y

Yukon

Your quality objectives (QO) must be consistent with you quality policy (QP).
For example if the QP states:
it is the policy of ACME Computers Inc to ship defect free products on-time to our clients thereby improving Customer Satisfaction.

The QO measures should be related to:
On-time-delivery
Product KPIs
Customer Satisfaction measures

I really seems that is a big deal to first, understand what the quality objectives are, second, define adequate quality objective for your particular process. I am not sure if to feel betters or worse because I thought I was the only one having issues. I am just wondering if the auditors actually understand the concept and properly apply it to the different processes they audit. We have been trying to define quality objectives for our company and it has become a nightmare to make the auditor happy, then another auditor comes and what the previous auditor accepted as quality objectives, all of the sudden are not. I have been told that the quality objectives must lead to quality of the product we produce, is it not that what we are trying to achieve? a good quality product that keeps our customers happy? Quite frankly I am having difficulty to understand how they should be defined and monitored. I am having difficulty to decide what is and what is not a quality objective, but I can see that I am not the only one. I could probably call for help form the auditors or the ones that met at Geneva to put the standard together.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Myth.

Quality objectives are required for the system.

It’s processes may each have an objective for determining it’s effectiveness.

And process objectives probably will contribute to fulfilling the system’s quality objectives.

Farley.0

Starting to get Involved
Though there is nothing in ISO 9001:2015/IATF 16949:2016 that states each process must have objectives to the degree of the requirements listed for Quality Objectives in 6.2. This is an area where I've seen auditors cause confusion. There was an instance where an auditor stated our company was required to have a QO and associated metric for every Process. We had QOs for 3 of 7 processes and no subsequent findings, so...
Thanks for the perspective. It gets us all closer to the "truth", right?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Take a look at the definition of effective.

Conforming processes are effective when they fulfill their objectives.

Therefore we have objectives and quality objectives.

If the documented parts of your system confuse the two types of objective, your auditor may too.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
When an organization comprises many departments and that organization focuses on its cross-functional processes to develop its process-based management system then I would advise against departmental/function objectives.

That way the organization avoids the risk of departmental objectives undermining the fulfillment of process objectives/effective processes.

It this situation function objectives would not be relevant.

Farley.0

Starting to get Involved
Take a look at the definition of effective.

Conforming processes are effective when they fulfill their objectives.

Therefore we have objectives and quality objectives.

If the documented parts of your system confuse the two types of objective, your auditor may too.
Wonderfully put.
However, standard-setting bodies, registrars, auditors, and consultants all play a level of influence on the perspective of a given organization. The volume of folks here seeking clarification regarding standard interpretation is indicative of some perceived or constructed ambiguity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Examples of Quality Objectives related to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P How to set quality objectives of R&D outsourcing - Examples please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Quality Objectives Examples ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Quality Objectives - Examples and Measurement of status/achievement of Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P What should a Quality Plan Include and Examples Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Need examples of ISO 9001 Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Pls provide some examples of Quality System Basics (QSB) Internal Auditing 3
G Examples of Quality Management Techniques Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W QOS (Quality of Service) Charts examples requested. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Y Improvement Projects and Quality Plan (Examples and Advice needed) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Quality Manual ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 Procedure examples wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Examples of Change and Quality talk at our all hands meeting Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J Medical Device Quality Manual Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Examples of Quality Records Master List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Looking for Quality Plan Examples - Medical Devices - ISO 13485 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A ISO 17025 Aligned Quality Manual Examples ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Looking for Examples of Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
U Quality control with non-normal, censored and truncated data examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
J Supplier Quality Plans - Non-automotive company - Seeking examples Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
K Plastic mold injection manufacturing - Quality Manual examples please Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
S Process Mapping and Quality Procedures Examples Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 37
J AS9100a and ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manual and Document Examples Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 32
I TS 16949 Quality Manual Templates - Lots of free examples and great discussion! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 159
V ISO9001:2000 Quality Work Instructions & Forms - Seeking Templates and Examples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 41
S Trying to find examples of job descriptions for Quality Assurance functions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Y Examples of TRB Reports for MIL-PRF-31032 Qualification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I ISO 22000:2018 - Operational Prerequisite Program Examples Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1
L IATF 16949 Warranty Management System examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
R Examples of inherent safety by design ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 83
O Examples of the external and internal issues and their risks and opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Medical Device Traceability Matrix - Examples EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Ajit Basrur Looking for examples of "User Training" - ISO 13485 section 7.2.1 d) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Manufacturing Work Instruction examples that include process pictures Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15