Examples of software changes that required a 510k

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
Could anyone share examples of the types of changes you made or you know of being made that required a new 510k submission? Even stories where it was found later in an audit that a change should have been a 510k submission? I'm trying to give appropriate guidance to staff here and more examples would be helpfulf. (Yes, I have the guidance documents but even with those you can argue interpretation.)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
For the sake of anyone reading and to be sure everyone is on the same page, I presume you are referring to this guidance: https://www.fda.gov/media/99812/download

Some probably obvious ones:
  • Adding new functionality
  • Expanding the scope of use (beyond initial claims)
  • Changes introduce new risk
  • Adding new roles or users
Do note that as individual changes are rolled out, they may not, in and of themselves trigger a new 510(k) but the accumulation of changes should be considered as well. Have the accumulation of changes met any of the trigger requirements?

Attachments

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
Right, I have the guidance and I get those generic examples. What I'm looking for is anyone willing to share specific examples. I get the obvious ones like: we moved from C to Java and had to rewrite the entire software app on the device. What I'm looking for is other stuff. For example, has anyone moved from a home-grown UI handler to Windows UI handlers and had to do a new submission. Or things you were on the fence about and after talking with the FDA (or notified body even), you discovered they considered it a change worthy of a new submission.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gert Sorensen Validation of our Statistical Software - Statistical "text book" examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
WALLACE Seeking process flow examples for software devlopment Software Quality Assurance 3
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Y Examples of TRB Reports for MIL-PRF-31032 Qualification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I ISO 22000:2018 - Operational Prerequisite Program Examples Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1
L IATF 16949 Warranty Management System examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
R Examples of inherent safety by design ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 83
O Examples of the external and internal issues and their risks and opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Medical Device Traceability Matrix - Examples EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Ajit Basrur Looking for examples of "User Training" - ISO 13485 section 7.2.1 d) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Manufacturing Work Instruction examples that include process pictures Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Risks Examples in Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Sidney Vianna Blockchain Technology - Any examples of practical application? The Reading Room 21
Z SAP Validation for Part 11 Compliance - Examples (executed protocols) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M How to Document Internal & External Communications - Suggestions/examples pls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Y Examples of Risk and Opportunities based on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Examples of Quality Objectives related to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M CAAC-145 Manuals - Looking for examples of MOM's, MMM's Capability Lists, etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 13
D Seeking Corrective Action Process Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
pammesue ISO 9001:2008 Design and Development Process & Forms examples wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
K AS9100 5.3 Authorities (Looking for examples) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
B Risk Requirements to meet the explicit Risk Based Approach of ISO 13485:2016 Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
F ISO 14001:2015 EMS Procedures and Form Examples wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) examples wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A AS 9100 - Risk Management Procedure and Flow Chart examples AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A Aseptic Sampling Procedure Examples (Syringe and Dipper) wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Customer Scorecard Analysis Templates and Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H Root Cause Corrective Action Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Seeking examples of Nonconforming Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Good Warehousing Practices - Examples? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
somashekar Industry examples of Significant Beneficial Environmental Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
S OHSAS 18001 Typical Input and Output Examples Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
P What should a Quality Plan Include and Examples Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
H Corrective and Preventive Actions Process Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Seeking Examples of current ISO/TS 16949 Training Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2