Examples to mitigate risk from Covid

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everyone
I come with this question.
Working with SWOT, detecting weaknesses and threats as an exercise
for the strategic meeting for the current year, I raised the risk about Covid and the like problems.
and I´m defining actions to mitigate their effects.
In your case, could you share what actions have defined in this case.?
My case.
1- To create joinings with similar providers, to provide products to customers.
2- To give training to specific people in case of absences.
3- To look for additional suppliers of raw materials.
4- To look for additional customers.
Please feed me back on this issue.

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello everyone
I come with this question.
Working with SWOT, detecting weaknesses and threats as an exercise
for the strategic meeting for the current year, I raised the risk about Covid and the like problems.
and I´m defining actions to mitigate their effects.
In your case, could you share what actions have defined in this case.?
My case.
1- To create joinings with similar providers, to provide products to customers.
2- To give training to specific people in case of absences.
3- To look for additional suppliers of raw materials.
4- To look for additional customers.
Please feed me back on this issue.

Thanks
Good day qualprod,

All of your four points are valid risk-based strategies, in my view. I do not know what more I can add that would bring you value.

Karenlb1970

Registered
From my point of view Covid-19 is the threat. The risks are therefore:
Risk of employee to employee infection: mitigate by workspace improvements, sanitizer, masks, visors, screens, increased ventilation,
Risk of customer to employee infection and vice versa: logging visitors, asking for contact details for track and trace, screens, sanitizer, masks, visors, screens, increased ventilation in meeting rooms, remote meetings etc
Risk for vulnerable employees: pregnant women, staff with underlying health conditions, BAME employees and potentially those aged over 50.

Then you have the specific threats to your business overall as you have identified
loss of customers both in short term and long term
breakdown of supply chain
failure of delivery/courier services

The solutions you have identified are fine - am not sure about the looking for more customers one is really a risk mitigation. without knowing more about the business you might perhaps want to look at product diversification or new markets as mitigating factors but In truth the items above are threats to your business at any time, not just because of COVID.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
I will add a couple of items:
  • Communications- Internal and External as to the status of the "issue"
    • Plan to communicate with employees - on status and actions
    • Plan to communicate with customers and/or suppliers
  • Review of Tools/Infrastructure
    • Determine tools needed to continue with work (i.e Remote vs on-site)
    • Future automation
    • New Software/Applications

lyuluck

Starting to get Involved
That's true. Covid-19 risk will not end in 2021. The virus can live in low temperatures and that is fatal to cold chain related industries.

Thee Bouyyy

Multiple Personalities
I will add :

Supplier performance and Material availability/ supply - Supplier may delay raw material supply and because of government restrictions in several parts manufacturing work can not process. - Moderate risk because delivery will be delay for the pending orders.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
that is fatal to cold chain related industries.

That may depend on whether the industries are likely to expire from perception or reality. Almost everything is contaminated with micro-organisms at some level of contamination, including the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the surfaces we touch. It's a pandemic, so I think I've probably eaten, drank, breathed, and touched the SARS-COV2 virus many times over the past year. I may have gotten infected asymptomatically, but more likely the viral load wasn't high enough to infect me.

I am not an expert on cold-chain specifically. However, almost all measures taken to prevent disease transmission via ingestion or surface contact aim to reduce the level of exposure to the infectious organism to the point that it is unlikely to make anyone ill, not to eliminate exposure altogether. Moreover, risk of illness varies with the nature of the product and its use. Vaccines need much more stringent protection from contamination than food, and meat more than fruit.

There have been many lab studies showing the presence of SARS-COV2 on and in many things. I'm not aware of a single case that established someone became ill from this exposure.

On the other hand, if the perception of threat, rather than its reality, is fatal to cold chain industries, that may be a different matter. I think that would depend on the knowledge level of cold-chain customers.

Top Bottom