Excessive Temperature Testing to IEC 60601-2-37 - Internal Probes

D

DuttonT

We manufacture internal probes and need to test per 60601-2-37. Any input from others who have had to test internal probes (excessive temps) and what was used to test?

Thanks

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Excessive temperature testing to 60601-2-37 - Internal Probes

Is 60601-2-37 an ANSI standard or what?

BradM

Leader
Admin

We manufacture internal probes and need to test per 60601-2-37. Any input from others who have had to test internal probes (excessive temps) and what was used to test?

Thanks

Hello, Dutton! Along with Marc's question, I do have a question or two. What are the excessive temps you are referring to? Obviously I am not familar with your quoted specs, but I have tested a temperature probe or two! :cool:

D

DuttonT

According to the standard, The test object shall use tissue mimicking material and cannot exceed 43 C at any time I am trying to figure out how to test to the standard.

In order to test - probe must be no less than 37C.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Hello, Dutton! Along with Marc's question, I do have a question or two. What are the excessive temps you are referring to? Obviously I am not familar with your quoted specs, but I have tested a temperature probe or two! :cool:
It's an ultrasound probe, not a temperature probe.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
In order to test - probe must be no less than 37C.

DuttonT, you´re misreading.

What has to be at 37 (and have to be mantanied at this temperature) is the test material, i.e., the mimicking material, because it simulates human temperature.

The surface temperature of the ultrasound probe under test cannot exceed 43, in case of test 1, and 50, in case of test 2 (air instead of mimicking material).

BradM

Leader
Admin

DuttonT, you´re misreading.

What has to be at 37 (and have to be mantanied at this temperature) is the test material, i.e., the mimicking material, because it simulates human temperature.

The surface temperature of the ultrasound probe under test cannot exceed 43, in case of test 1, and 50, in case of test 2 (air instead of mimicking material).

OK, so do you have to monitor the temperature of the test material while this test is occurring? How thick is the material?

It's an ultrasound probe, not a temperature probe.

Do you have to verify the frequency/Watts of the ultrasound probe?

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Brad

Yes, you have to monitor the temperature of the test material so that you can guarantee that it remains constant. The material is as thick as it need to be, but it has to prevent the heat of the transducer because of wave reflections.

Also, 60602-2-37 doens´t asks fo frequency measurement (although it asks to be declared) and it has requirements for output power measurements.

D

DuttonT

a better explanation.

The test object must be at no less that 37 C (98.6 F). What I am finding out from others who are doing this test is that they are using the human body as a test object, as human skin is "Body Temperature". As long as the temp does not rise more than 6 C, which is the standard spec.

Top Bottom