Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification

This is my first post, and need to ask for guidance please.
I work for an AS9100/ISO9001/Nadcap accredited plating & coatings shop. We manufacture a coating substance which we sell to aerospace customers, some of which are customers of our plating/coatings processes as well and therefore falls under our AS9100 scope of operations.

The dilemma is that this manufacturing process has never been included in our scope of AS/ISO registration. Our next AS/ISO assessment is this coming September.

Understanding that this is a significant issue, how should we go about notifying our Registrar of this? Do we bring it up during our audit in September or contact the Registrar now, prior to the audit? Need tactful guidance please. Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
So, based on the scope of certification, the PRODUCTION of the coating material is out of bounds for your AS9100 CB auditor.

The decision on including that part of the business in the scope of certification, or not, is yours. Obviously, your customers might have expectations. Check Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020.
Thank you Sidney! I will print this document and review with our Quality Manager tomorrow. We don't want to get into trouble with our Registrar, receive a finding, possibly be required to notify our customers, etc.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
We don't want to get into trouble with our Registrar, receive a finding, possibly be required to notify our customers, etc.
The CB cannot impose a scope of certification onto you. Do not act subserviently to the external auditor and acquiesce to their whims. If your organization made a conscious decision NOT to have the production of the coating material in the scope of certification, the CB cannot force you otherwise.

On the other hand, if you want to include the production side of the business in the scope of certification, this can be achieved via a scope extension audit, but the timing for that to happen is up to you.

So, based on the scope of certification, the PRODUCTION of the coating material is out of bounds for your AS9100 CB auditor.

The decision on including that part of the business in the scope of certification, or not, is yours. Obviously, your customers might have expectations. Check Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020.
This process was not intended to be out of bounds, it was just never identified to be included in the scope of AS9100 registration. In fact, the manufacture of this substance is not even mentioned in our Quality Manual.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...I work for an AS9100/ISO9001/Nadcap accredited plating & coatings shop. We manufacture a coating substance which we sell to aerospace customers, some of which are customers of our plating/coatings processes as well and therefore falls under our AS9100 scope of operations. ...
As Sidney said, your registrar doesn't determine your scope. Your customers are the ones who will be interested in which of your services and products do or don't fall under your scope.

Do you manufacture this coating and use it to perform the service of coating, and you also sell it sometimes?

The CB cannot impose a scope of certification onto you. Do not act subserviently to the external auditor and acquiesce to their whims. If your organization made a conscious decision NOT to have the production of the coating material in the scope of certification, the CB cannot force you otherwise.

On the other hand, if you want to include the production side of the business in the scope of certification, this can be achieved via a scope extension audit, but the timing for that to happen is up to you.
Wow, that's good news. I will cover this with our Quality Manager tomorrow. If I have any other concerns, I will definitely post in this thread. Thank you again.

As Sidney said, your registrar doesn't determine your scope. Your customers are the ones who will be interested in which of your services and products do or don't fall under your scope.

Do you manufacture this coating and use it to perform the service of coating, and you also sell it sometimes?
Yes, we do both (we coat customer's parts with it and we do sell it). It is a proprietary formulation of dry film lubricant.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A How do we implement a Process Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Existing GMP QMS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Regulation Process for Add on Accessory to an Existing Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
X Existing Toolroom Process Validation - Need to identify clauses addressed. Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
K Change of Existing Medical Devices and 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
F Device Standards - Managing Changes to existing standards that apply to our devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Implementing EN 62304:2006 on existing and proven medical devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
H Classification of a device that uses an existing battery IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C ISO 14001 vs Existing Quality System - How to keep them separate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Addition of a test reader to existing CE marked product. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B NEED HSE-MS Gap Analysis between 2 existing Management Systems Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
Document Dame How to add AS9145 requirements to my existing AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
K 510k "Premarket" Submission for Existing Class II Software Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
N Is a new 510K required for change of manufacturing location for an existing device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
V Procedure to change the Company name in existing TS16949-2009 certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Use of a "Priority existing chemical" in medical device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Existing reports and altering such reports AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A How best to start revising an existing ISO 9001:2008 system in a company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Is it acceptable it is to list new products under an existing 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
G New model for existing Class I Device Listing (510K exempt) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
S Evaluation of our existing Suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Digitising Existing Documents to ensure regulatory compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Already Existing Customer Open-PO (Purchase Order) Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Temporary Facility Used For Production - Use of existing Third Party Logos ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
alonFAI Update an existing QMS manual or write a new one for AS9100C Certification? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Medical Device Design Control Requirements (820.30) on Existing Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Anyone added I-m to an existing I-s CE Certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Combining existing 510(k)s into a new 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Integrating acquired existing product into Quality Management System Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D AS9100C - New requirements to existing standard? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
arios Understanding adoption of a product to an existing Sterilization Cycle Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Improvement Plan for existing QUALITY TEAM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
P Usability Plan for Existing Equipment IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
Q Implementing ISO 14001 into an existing ISO/TS 16949 Quality Management System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Reusing existing RUO Software for IVD Development 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
shimonv Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
I Acceptability of Existing Devices complying to IEC 60601-1 2nd Edition after Jun'2012 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
N Company Name Change - Existing Inventory with Old Company Name Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
M Adopting New Sites and Divisions into an existing ISO 9001 Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A PPAP for carry over (from an existing to a new model) components APQP and PPAP 4