Expanding a Company's Scope of Registration

F

Fire Girl

Expanding your scope

Hello!

The company I work for has decided to expand the business and add another division. They are undecided as of yet if it will be an entirely separate company or a division of the one we already have. I know that I will need to talk to my registrar about this.

However, I was curious if anyone had been thru a similar situation. I have not. I'm not sure how big of a deal it's going to be. I guess I can just add work instructions for the new operation and make sure the internal audits, man review etc cover this area?

Thanks!

Fire Girl
:D :confused: :D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Fire Girl said:
Hello!

The company I work for has decided to expand the business and add another division. They are undecided as of yet if it will be an entirely separate company or a division of the one we already have. I know that I will need to talk to my registrar about this.

However, I was curious if anyone had been thru a similar situation. I have not. I'm not sure how big of a deal it's going to be. I guess I can just add work instructions for the new operation and make sure the internal audits, man review etc cover this area?

Thanks!

Fire Girl
The scope of your ISO certificate is for your company at your address and for your current process(es), right? Who says that this newest addition to your family will pursue registration?

Last year, we were just 2 facilities in Canada with two different registrars and owned by a Brazillian company. Now we're 11 facilities, 3 companies merged into one...and our Sales depts are located 150 km to the East and all the way down in Florida for the other.

Just the two locations continue to be ISO with the other locations contemplating it.

Our Registration applies only to our location and strictly the Sales Department located at our Canadian and US Corporate offices (not I.S., not Credit, not HR...you get the idea...just their Sales Dept's).

Sure, I'd call up your Registrar to keep 'em in loop, but unless they will be joining you in your Registration, I wouldn't worry.

Of course, someone will tell me if I completely missed the boat on this one. :)

F

Fire Girl

I want it certified!

Hey RC!

Thanks for the input! A fellow Canadian.... right on, eh?

Anyway, I fully intend to have the new division (or whatever the powers that be decide to call it) certified. We will be using this service for ourselves initially but then we want to bring in outside work. We will definitely want to be certified for that. I just wasn't sure what the best plan for that was.

Thank you

Fire Girl
;)

R

RosieA

Hiya Firegirl,

I've been through this, and it really isn't bad. (sometimes I think I've been through every possible ISO curve ball there is :rolleyes:

I had to update the scope of my certificate, add visits to the new location to my ISO audit plan, and link myself into the quality system of the new division. It helped that they were already ISO certified, so I wasn't starting from scratch.

I had access to their work instructions, all their quality records, which were on the corporate network, and was able to pull out warranty data and on-time delivery stats because they shared our applications software.

I used their already established audit system, and worked out a few kinks, but it was pretty smooth.

Your Registar will be the best resource for how it will work for you.

Hi FG,

Just wondering: When you say add another division, do you mean aquireing an existing company or starting something from scratch?

Next question is whether the addition will be a separate company or not?

/Claes

F

Fire Girl

Hi Claes!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... I just got back from 2 weeks holidays. :cool:

This is something that we will be starting from scratch. I'm not sure exactly how the business is going to be set up from an accounting point of view, but it will be attached to this building. I will have to develop work instructions, etc for it. But I would imagine that all my other core procedures would still apply... I am talking about NCR's, maintenance, management review,etc.

Thanks.

Fire Girl
:D

T

tomvehoski

If it is going to be at your existing site, it should be pretty easy to expand your scope. As you said, update your procedures as necessary to reflect the new operations and generate any necessary work instructions. Your registrar should be able to handle it during a normal six month audit. They will probably want to add some audit time if the change is significant.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Expanding our Company's AS9100D Registration Scope and Location AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Y Expanding the indications for use for a 510(k) cleared device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
T CE Certification Strategy - Expanding the validity of certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K 510(k) expanding the indication for use for a cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W Substitute for Expanding Arbors General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Expanding a Laboratory Calibration Scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Expanding the c = 0 Small Lot Squeglia Table Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J Which certificate do we need? - Expanding in the medical product market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
D Expanding the Scope of a Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Marc Expanding A Registration Overseas ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D ISO9001 for one man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Client Communication - SaaMD company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4