Expected life span of Medical devices - X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices

Hi Everyone!
Greeting of the day!!
I am new in this forum and looking for solution of my query..

We are the manufacturer of X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices. We have one query regarding Life span of Medical devices. How can we calculate the life of a device?
Let suppose our device life is 10 yrs on the basis of life of critical component but minimum life of one of the critical component is 6 yrs and this part is replaceable if in case get damage. We can change this part at customer end easily and this replacement will not affect the device performance and intended use, Device will work as previously. Due to electronic component it can be damage anytime. Other component life is more than ten years only one or two component have less life but those are replaceable.
Please guide can we consider this or we have to do something else.

Is there anyone have this experience that can explain and help me?

Millions of thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
IMO the life span of an X-ray machine is determined by the time at which the user will have to decommission it, i.e. it will no longer be able to be used safely and meet its performance spec. A necessity to replace one component or another doesn't mean end of life span. Of course, if at some point the majority of components need to be replaced to keep the machine going (refurbishment) I would consider it end-of-life of the original device.

Does that make sense?

Thanks Mr. Ronen,
if you have any template or guidance document please share with us so that we could satisfy to auditors...

Thanks a lot..

"the extent to which a product retains, within specified limits, and throughout its period of storage and use, i.e., its shelf life, the same properties, and characteristics that it possessed at the time of manufacture.

A device's "shelf life should not be confused with a device's "useful life.'' The useful life of a device is the duration of actual use or the number and duration of repeat use before some change results in the device's inability to achieve its intended function.

I hope this old document could bring alacrity: https://www.fda.gov/media/72487/download.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Ask yourself (and your auditor):

When your car needs new tyres, does that mean that it's life-span is over? Not really.
A new engine?... you could get the engine replaced, but it could then be argued that this in fact will be a refurbished ("renewed") car.
A new chassis? definitely.

Here is my template: Common sense.

Last edited:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I had difficulties with defining lifespan, with the auditor demanding that it should be stated as xx years. Fortunately I came across a guidance document, from Biomedical Engineering Advisory Group South Australia, that I have used since.

Can be found here:
http://cedglobal.org/download/Life Span of Biomedical Devices - Guidance Paper Final.pdf
Seems very useful for dealing with auditors who only look for a formal-looking paper so that they could tick the box and move on. The real essence of the matter, though, is:
The Life Span estimates provided in this document are a guide only and do not always indicate an age after which biomedical devices should not be used. In some cases the life of a biomedical device may be longer or shorter depending on a number of factors, including the:
• Frequency of use
• Nature of use
• Environment of use
• Experience and knowledge of the user
• Care and attention paid to use and operator maintenance
• Existence, capability and cost of maintenance support
• Stage in product life cycle
• Management of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance
• Availability and cost of consumables and spare parts
• Availability and cost of replacement devices
• Relative efficacy and effectiveness of the alternative methods and devices
• Business and safety risks associated with continued or discontinued use
• Strategic and political risks associated with continued or discontinued use
• Compliance with current codes and standards
• Technological or clinical redundancy
• Funding availability

BEAG recommends that a risk management approach is taken when developing a replacement program for Biomedical Devices and that risk factors, including those above, are considered together with the age/lifespan ratio.
Added in edit: Please also note that this document is considering the issue from an economical/practical perspective, for those in charge of managing / replacing aged equipment in hospitals (hospital biomedical engineers). A device might still be usable and safe (i.e. within its technical/medical life-span), but for whatever other reason recommended for replacement.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M MEEE Expected Service Life - IEC 60601-1 Clause 4.4 Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Setting Expected Service Life for an an Electrical/Electronic Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 24
N Are Overload Test Results expected to be maintained through out Life of Product? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Expected Service Life of Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Expected lifetime of the device-Article 18 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Article 18 in the Implant Card - Expected lifetime of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Q Is a Corrective Action Expected if a Quality Objective is not in compliance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
P What is expected in a Medical Device Commercial Release Procedure Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
P IVDD - IFU related requirements - Type of information/statement expected EU Medical Device Regulations 1
pittmatj Are New Brazil Class I Medical Device Regulations Expected? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
R Are ISO 9001 certificates delivering confidence in line with the expected outcomes? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
T Expected release date for ISO 50003? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
somashekar 7 Major changes expected in ISO14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
W What kind of data is expected for a PPAP Material Analysis Report IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Time Expected to Invest in SPL (Structured Product Labeling) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D ECG Electrodes - Duration of Use (How long they are expected to stay on the patient) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Supplier CA Request - Do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
J SR-001 Revision - Keep watching for the new revision of SR001 (It is expected soon) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K What is the expected length, content of a Food Safety Manual? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
E Identifying the Elements of Informed Consent expected by the IRB and FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Sidney Vianna Joint IAF-ISO Communique' - Expected Outcomes of Accredited Certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
S New TS 16949 release expected in January 2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 65
S Potential Changes to BS EN 9001:2000 expected in October 2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Best practices on the criteria to issue CAPA & expected response time? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
S Attribute GRR - Cross tab - Kappa - What does "Expected Count" mean? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Expected Process Maps - Requirement to somehow document how these processes work? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
B Continual Improvement Requirements - No expected completion date listed - 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M How Many Expected Defective Assemblies? Six Sigma 1
R Making sense of Standard Hours - Work an employee can be expected to do in an hour Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
Marc Definition Expected "overall" performance - Definition - Process Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Performance - Expected "overall" performance - From Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
J Help with Mintab concepts: Expected "overall" performance vs. Observed performance Six Sigma 5
A Is it time to remove the constraints under which registrars have been expected to operate? General Auditing Discussions 20
K ISO 14001:2004 - 4.3.2 Legal & Other Requirements - Level of detail expected ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 18
M Attribute MSA-CrossTab Study Example in MSA Manual:How to compute the Expected Count? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
apestate Custom hardware product - What acceptable quality level (AQL) is expected in the US? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
R Update of ISO 14000 - Finalization Expected in 2004 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
Howard Atkins Expected Values for EV, AV etc in a GRR Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
J Quality Management System - What Is Expected? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M ISO 14001 - What kind of costs could we be expected to face? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
F Delivery Monitoring procedure - What is expected in the tracking of delivery? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3