Experiences as a female auditor / auditee

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Yup, from Vancouver to Trinidad to Dubai. That's the adventure.
I've turned down Trinidad-Tobago a couple time just like Jamaica & Bahamas, but Burmuda, that's a totally different story, and if I spend 1 more day I can be a citizen of Manitoba, Alberta, Ontario, or New Brunswick.:lol:

Tyranna

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I am new to Elsmar and have to mention how impressed I am with the site. The amount of information provided here is greatly appreciated! Coming up in a few months I will be attending training to become ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Certified. A relative has been doing ISO 9001 auditing for a bit of time now and has highly recommended I get into the same field. I have read a few articles stating that there are only a small number of female auditors out there and examples of REDACTED harassment (mainly from the auditors to female employees. But this had me thinking about the other spectrum of this. Harassment to the auditors. I was curious if there were any female ISO Auditors here (or any other type of auditors) that have come across this? If so, any suggestions you might have for a female going into this field.

:thanks:
I have been auditing since 1994 and have never been harassed. Maybe I don't recognize it, chose to ignore it, or just plain expected more of the people I was auditing. In any event, I have been treated well, with respect and as the professional I am.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

I am new to Elsmar and have to mention how impressed I am with the site. The amount of information provided here is greatly appreciated! Coming up in a few months I will be attending training to become ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Certified. A relative has been doing ISO 9001 auditing for a bit of time now and has highly recommended I get into the same field. I have read a few articles stating that there are only a small number of female auditors out there and examples of REDACTED harassment (mainly from the auditors to female employees. But this had me thinking about the other spectrum of this. Harassment to the auditors. I was curious if there were any female ISO Auditors here (or any other type of auditors) that have come across this? If so, any suggestions you might have for a female going into this field.

:thanks:
Few rules to considered:
1. Never go out with the clients after the audit or during the audit for dinner - even in groups.​
2. Keep the door open during the audit if it is you and the auditee (male or female).​
3. Do not go with an agenda of trying to have "get the auditee"​
4. I f it is not in the standard - you should not be writing it up as an NCR​
5. Dress professional (Less Skin is better) - you will be treated the same way.​
6. Watch your stories, (we all have them, your jokes and your greeting (to include huggin.​
7. Respect their schedule and their time - do not overstay your visit longer than the 8 hrs.​
8. Add value to the audit - this is done when you educate yourself in all concepts of Quality and numerous tools, programs and opportuities - do not consult.​
9. Have fun!​

cscalise

Starting to get Involved
Hi, It's been a while since I have been to the site and scanning some of the topics I came across yours and thought I'd respond. I have been a QMS auditor for about 6 years now. I perform certification, supplier and internal audits. I have never encountered any issues during audits. However, I have encountered challenges during training and networking events. It typically involves "mansplaining" or obstacles entering discussions. Common situations I also encountered during my corporate experiences. Thankfully these occurrences have been few and far between. By far my experiences have been positive, most auditors are interested in sharing experiences and learning from each other. As for your rules listed above I think they are also applicable to all business/professional interactions. As a certified auditor you also typically sign a code of conduct to underscore ethical behavior during audits. Here is an example:
1. I will act professionally, accurately, and in an unbiased manner.​
2. I will strive to increase the competence and prestige of my profession.​
3. I will assist those in my employ or under my supervision to develop their professional competencies.​
4. I will not undertake any assignments that I am not competent to perform.​
5. I will not represent conflicting or competing interests and will disclose any relationships to any client or employer that may influence my judgment.​
6. I will not discuss or disclose any information relating to any assignment unless required by law or authorized in writing by the client and/or my employing organization.​
7. I will not accept any inducement, commission, gift, or any other benefit from client organizations, their employees, or any interested party, or knowingly allow colleagues to do so.​
8. I will not intentionally communicate false or misleading information that may compromise the integrity of any assignment or the personnel certification process.​
9. I will comply with any Certification Requirements, procedures, and advisories which are relevant to my profession or certification.​
10. I will comply with industry-specific standards, including international standards which are relevant to my profession or certification.​
11. I will not act in any way that would prejudice the reputation of my certification organization or the personnel certification process and will cooperate fully with an inquiry in the event of any alleged breach of this code.​
12. I will submit myself to this Code of Conduct and any complaints, appeals, and disciplinary procedures.​
13. I understand that any breach of this Code of Conduct may lead to warnings, suspension, or withdrawal of certification, in accordance with "certifying organization's" disciplinary procedures.​
Looks like it has been about year since your post. I hope you are finding success with auditing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 17
P Secretly Auditing - Writing an audit report with observations based on my experiences Internal Auditing 12
E Feedback on Negative Experiences with a CB's Service Level Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N API Q1 9th Edition - My Experiences (A Diary) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 131
Sam Lazzara Experiences with Notified Bodies addressing EN ISO 14971:2012 Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K NRTL mark per OSHA regulations - Preferences and experiences IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Lessons Learnt template - Information Security Management System Experiences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Experiences from implementing IEC 80001-1? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
M Software for our Quality System - IPI Solutions Experiences/Reviews wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
J Business Continuity Planning - Experiences related to Thailand's flooding Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
R Quality for Telco Companies - Quality in Customer Experiences & KPIs Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Stijloor SpiderOak experiences? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
R Millipore Cleanliness Test Experiences Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
H I have an interview with LRQA next week - Your advice or experiences? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
V California FDB (Food & Drug Branch) inspection experiences? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Geoff Cotton NWA (Northwest Analytical, Inc.) SPC software - Your Opinion, Review and Experiences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
somashekar Control Over Outsourced Processes - Share some experiences and methods ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q VDE Audit Experiences - German VDE factory certification audit General Auditing Discussions 5
Marc Prints / Drawings - What Problems and Experiences Have You Had with Prints? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
Wes Bucey Exit (Escape?) Strategy (Employment FMEA) - Good and Bad Experiences Career and Occupation Discussions 23
Manix IE7 Released! What are your experiences with IE7? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition of Cards) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
V Experiences on the use of Business Enterprise software for the Quality Management Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R Auditors Point of View: What were your worst audits and bad experiences? General Auditing Discussions 7
S Experience with Registrars - Canadian experiences are extremely welcome Registrars and Notified Bodies 32
L GM's new Fast Response process - Anyone with experiences to share? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 21
C DaimlerChrysler Layered Process audit experiences per the DC CSR's Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
E Share experiences using a contract agency to perform source inspection Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
I Document Control Software - Seeking Experiences and Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
C DaimlerChrysler Layered Process Audit Experiences per the DC CSR's Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
J American Systems Registrar - Anyone have comments/experiences? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
I FMEA-Pro 7 - Seeking Reviews and User Experiences Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J What have been your experiences with TUV as a registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
A World's Funniest Audit Experiences General Auditing Discussions 125
T Experiences good or bad with the RAB certification process ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
R Female auditors earn 18% less than male auditors - IRCA Salary Survey 2014 Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Ajit Basrur China launches spaceship with first female astronaut Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
R IEC 60601-1 - RS232 Connector Requirements - Female Connectors question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D ISO 594-1 Female Conical Fitting Mount or Rubber Bung" Qualification in ISO 8537:2007 Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
BradM The Female Demerit System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 73
M Checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture - Air Gaging question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R A question for female Covers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 107
A Which bird is the female bird? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 28
Gun46 ISO 9001 : 2015 Lead Auditor Exam General Auditing Discussions 5
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
R ISO 45001 Lead Auditor Exam paper Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
A Our auditor told if we didn't have a patent we would have to do a validation or verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6