Experiences as a female auditor / auditee

Randy

Super Moderator
Yup, from Vancouver to Trinidad to Dubai. That's the adventure.

I've turned down Trinidad-Tobago a couple time just like Jamaica & Bahamas, but Burmuda, that's a totally different story, and if I spend 1 more day I can be a citizen of Manitoba, Alberta, Ontario, or New Brunswick.:lol:

D

Dahlia D Fenster

All the best wishes for your training
I am sure about you that you will achieve success

Tyranna

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I am new to Elsmar and have to mention how impressed I am with the site. The amount of information provided here is greatly appreciated! Coming up in a few months I will be attending training to become ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Certified. A relative has been doing ISO 9001 auditing for a bit of time now and has highly recommended I get into the same field. I have read a few articles stating that there are only a small number of female auditors out there and examples of REDACTED harassment (mainly from the auditors to female employees. But this had me thinking about the other spectrum of this. Harassment to the auditors. I was curious if there were any female ISO Auditors here (or any other type of auditors) that have come across this? If so, any suggestions you might have for a female going into this field.

:thanks:
I have been auditing since 1994 and have never been harassed. Maybe I don't recognize it, chose to ignore it, or just plain expected more of the people I was auditing. In any event, I have been treated well, with respect and as the professional I am.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

I am new to Elsmar and have to mention how impressed I am with the site. The amount of information provided here is greatly appreciated! Coming up in a few months I will be attending training to become ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Certified. A relative has been doing ISO 9001 auditing for a bit of time now and has highly recommended I get into the same field. I have read a few articles stating that there are only a small number of female auditors out there and examples of REDACTED harassment (mainly from the auditors to female employees. But this had me thinking about the other spectrum of this. Harassment to the auditors. I was curious if there were any female ISO Auditors here (or any other type of auditors) that have come across this? If so, any suggestions you might have for a female going into this field.

:thanks:
Few rules to considered:
1. Never go out with the clients after the audit or during the audit for dinner - even in groups.​
2. Keep the door open during the audit if it is you and the auditee (male or female).​
3. Do not go with an agenda of trying to have "get the auditee"​
4. I f it is not in the standard - you should not be writing it up as an NCR​
5. Dress professional (Less Skin is better) - you will be treated the same way.​
6. Watch your stories, (we all have them, your jokes and your greeting (to include huggin.​
7. Respect their schedule and their time - do not overstay your visit longer than the 8 hrs.​
8. Add value to the audit - this is done when you educate yourself in all concepts of Quality and numerous tools, programs and opportuities - do not consult.​
9. Have fun!​

cscalise

Starting to get Involved
Hi, It's been a while since I have been to the site and scanning some of the topics I came across yours and thought I'd respond. I have been a QMS auditor for about 6 years now. I perform certification, supplier and internal audits. I have never encountered any issues during audits. However, I have encountered challenges during training and networking events. It typically involves "mansplaining" or obstacles entering discussions. Common situations I also encountered during my corporate experiences. Thankfully these occurrences have been few and far between. By far my experiences have been positive, most auditors are interested in sharing experiences and learning from each other. As for your rules listed above I think they are also applicable to all business/professional interactions. As a certified auditor you also typically sign a code of conduct to underscore ethical behavior during audits. Here is an example:
1. I will act professionally, accurately, and in an unbiased manner.​
2. I will strive to increase the competence and prestige of my profession.​
3. I will assist those in my employ or under my supervision to develop their professional competencies.​
4. I will not undertake any assignments that I am not competent to perform.​
5. I will not represent conflicting or competing interests and will disclose any relationships to any client or employer that may influence my judgment.​
6. I will not discuss or disclose any information relating to any assignment unless required by law or authorized in writing by the client and/or my employing organization.​
7. I will not accept any inducement, commission, gift, or any other benefit from client organizations, their employees, or any interested party, or knowingly allow colleagues to do so.​
8. I will not intentionally communicate false or misleading information that may compromise the integrity of any assignment or the personnel certification process.​
9. I will comply with any Certification Requirements, procedures, and advisories which are relevant to my profession or certification.​
10. I will comply with industry-specific standards, including international standards which are relevant to my profession or certification.​
11. I will not act in any way that would prejudice the reputation of my certification organization or the personnel certification process and will cooperate fully with an inquiry in the event of any alleged breach of this code.​
12. I will submit myself to this Code of Conduct and any complaints, appeals, and disciplinary procedures.​
13. I understand that any breach of this Code of Conduct may lead to warnings, suspension, or withdrawal of certification, in accordance with "certifying organization's" disciplinary procedures.​
Looks like it has been about year since your post. I hope you are finding success with auditing.

Top Bottom