Expiration Dates On Certifications

My QS Certification has an expiration date.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

CharlieMay

I want to apologize if this is not the forum for this topic but I wasn't exactly sure where to ask this.

I have a customer that is requiring an expiration date on my QS9000 Certification. She is telling me that I should receive a new cert each year with an expiration date on the cert and that her procedure for approved suppliers requires this expiration date on the cert. I faxed a letter to her from our registrar stating that I was current showing my last audit from Jan 2003 and when my next audit was scheduled.

This still does not satisfy her requirements.

I guess my main question is, Is it normal for Certifications to have expiration dates on them?

Thanks

Charles

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Mine does Charles - QS is a 3 year certificate but maybe because QS goes away in 2003 they have re-designed the certificates. Each one is designed by the registrar so I guess it is possible your's is different.

Dave

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

We're no longer "QS" (we did have one on that certificate) but our "TS" certificate has an expiration date.

I don't understand your customer's demand. While I believe we do receive a new certificate yearly (or after each 6 month audit), nothing changes on the certificate (unless the company's scope might have been altered).

Bill

Hullo Charles and welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

I'm not all that familiar with QS, so I'll skip that one, but:

Our ISO14001 certificate has an expiration date. It's valid for three years at the time.

Our ISO 9002 certificate on the other hand (Another registrar), does not have an expiration date. It's valid until further notice, and the validity can be verified by the registrar. I would in fact prefer it to have a stated expiration date because of all the endless explaining I have to do to customers who just like in your case have a hard time accepting that. They do accept it in the end but it costs me valuable time (groan...).

/Claes

C

CharlieMay

I've had the same certification hanging on my wall since July 2000 when we became certified. Up until now, there have been no real problems with this cert. Now a customer that I've had for quite a while is stating that I need this expiration date. If you go to my registrar's page you can look up our company and see that it is current and still active. This along with the letter (mentioned in my original post) I would have though would be enough.

I mean, after all, she has this documentation for her proof of registration to an auditor. I just kinda feel like printing an expiration date on a piece of paper, copying the cert with this sliver of paper on it and faxing it just to get it over with. :vfunny:

M

M Greenaway

Some CB's operate by issuing a certificate valid for three years. In this time they audit your entire system over 6 monthly visits in the three year period (a bit at a time). When the three years are up they do a 'renewal visit' where they look at the entire system again over a longer audit. This is my experience of LRQA and SGS Yarsley, who issue certificates with an expiration date.

Currently however we are certified by BSi, who operate a system of 'continuous' assessment. No three year renewel but ongoing assessment, and a cert with no expiration date (QS and ISO9001).

D

D.Scott

Good point Martin - If some still do that, there may be confusion over the recent interpretation by IASG (or was it RAB) that instructed registrars not to allow any "roll-over" certifications. They stated a "re-assessment" audit was required at the end of the 3 year period.

Maybe this is where the customer is coming from.

Dave

R

Randy Stewart

QS Expires.

I believe all QS/ISO 9000:1996 certificates expire on 12/15/03 when ISO 9K:96 is gone. At that time the 2 certs (ISO9K2K and QS) will be split.
Our registrar operates under the 3 year renewal as mentioned by Martin but our ISO-14001 has an expiration date in 2005.

JodiB

Still plugging along
M Greenaway said:

Some CB's operate by issuing a certificate valid for three years. In this time they audit your entire system over 6 monthly visits in the three year period (a bit at a time). When the three years are up they do a 'renewal visit' where they look at the entire system again over a longer audit. This is my experience of LRQA and SGS Yarsley, who issue certificates with an expiration date.

Currently however we are certified by BSi, who operate a system of 'continuous' assessment. No three year renewel but ongoing assessment, and a cert with no expiration date (QS and ISO9001).
Martin,

The 3 year validity and renewal visit is something that is required by UKAS and many other accreditation bodies. RAB does not agree with the IAF (sort of the UN for accreditation bodies, I guess you could say) on the requirement for a 3 year reassessment to be done all at one visit and allows for the sort of continuous ("rolling") assessment you describe BSI as using. LRQA also uses continuous, as do other registrars.

The QS9000 certifications issued by LRQA are continuous, being issued under the RAB accreditation. However, those certificates still carry an expiration date. There is still a requirement to conduct a full reassessment of the management system whether it is a continuous or a standard certification- it is only the way those reassessments are done that is different.

The expiration date on a certificate is a clear indication to anyone reviewing the certificate where the company is within the surveillance/reassessment program. A certificate lacking an expiration date doesn't provide this information. I can see where Charlie's client is coming from.

M

M Greenaway

Lucinda

I can only comment on what I have seen. When under a 3 year re-assessment type audit plan, via LRQA and SGS Yarsley, the certificate had an expiration date. Currently under a continuous assessment plan, via BSi, the cert does not have an expiration date.

Not to say the audit plan and certificate format are necessarily linked, but under continuous assessment there would be no expiration date in reality would there ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N IVD Lot Numbers and Expiration Dates - 21 CFR 809.10 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W Validation of SAP for ERP - Inventory, shipping, and monitoring expiration dates Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
O Cosmetics (otc) with Drugs - Expiration dates and three years stability / shelf life ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Calibration intervals - Expiration dates on our certificates w/out customer approval Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Sterile medical device expiration date 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Expiration Date (use by date) on a product label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
howste Merging sites on one AS9100 certificate - expiration date? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q TS / IATF 16949 Certificate Expiration Date Requirement Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
F Date of Manufacture and Expiration (Sterile Medical Device) question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Is a Real Time Stability Study required to determine Expiration Date? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Use By and Expiration Date for a Class 3 Medical Device in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
N Does Class I (exempt) device have requirements of Shelf Life and Expiration Dating ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Shelf Life, Expiration Date & Labeling AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Jim Wynne Laboratory Accreditation Certificate with no Expiration Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D AS9100 Recertification Audits - How much in advance of the Certificate Expiration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
E Expiration Date on Label for different Countries (Short Shelf Life Product) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Expiration of Validity Date for EN ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
D Requirement for Expiration Date on Medical Device Accessory Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
B Date of Expiration for Consumable Solutions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A Shelf Life Testing - We would like to extend the sterility expiration date Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Change in the Expiration Date (from 24-36 months) - Need 510(k) changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P What is the difference between ?expiration date? and ?best before date?? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Calculate expiration date of a product by studying stability test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Expiration Date for Standardized Rockwell Hardness Blocks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Wayne Never put an Expiration (Due) Date on a Calibration Certificate Calibration Frequency (Interval) 41
R How to print an expiration date on a .pdf file Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Douglas E. Purdy Certificate of Registration - No expiration indicator on the certificate - Why? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
B QS-9000 Registration Certificates with no Expiration Date Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F MDR ISO 13485 for Class I sw/hw company to be class II due dates ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
N Harmonization dates of IEC 60601-1-2:2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
K Where does the FDA post its various compliance dates? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K IEC 60601-2-2:2017 Compliance Dates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Calibration Dates - Exact day or end of month? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
C DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) asking for Inspection Schedule Dates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A Publication Dates of MSA Manuals (1st & 2nd Ed.) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Calibration Recall or Due Dates - Latitude Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14