Explain the ISO organization's numbering system

A

Alex Grguric

TS 16949

Does anyone know what the 16949 numbers represent? I have had several people ask this question. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Alex Grguric (edited 10 March 2000).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Spaceman Spiff

I think it's the number of companies they're going to squeeze for more additional auditing/certification dollars!

bpritts

Involved - Posts
16949 number

The ISO people simply assign sequential blocks of numbers for standards.
Five digit numbers are newer standards; they ran out of 4 digit numbers
quite a while ago. There may be no connection at all between 16948, 16949,
16950.. etc.

About 10 years ago when I had a larger expense account I ordered a
directory listing all the ISO standards; it was about 300 pages with about
1 short paragraph per standard. The vast majority cover very specific
product specs say, the physical dimensions of a dry cell battery, or the
data recording formats used by CDROM's
not generalities like ISO 9000 or TS16949. It would
make excellent bedtime reading if you're insomiac.

Brad

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm sure I saw the answer to this in another thread some months back.

It was regarding how standards are numbered.

I'll check when I get 5 minutes to spare.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Please Explain Clause 8.3 in ISO 9001:2008 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P EN ISO vs. ISO - Please explain to me EN ISO vs. ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
R ISO 9001 and ISO 9004 - Can somebody briefly explain their difference? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
N ISO 9000:2000 in a service company- Documentation - Do we have to explain exclusions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me EU Medical Device Regulations 67
R Explain what "design change" is to people new to the industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E IATF 16949 Clause of 8.4.3 - Approvals - Can you explain to me IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Definition QUALITY 4.0 - Somebody here could explain the meaning of Quality 4.0? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Help trying to explain accuracy procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Can anybody explain h.2 equation of GUM? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Class III Sampling Plan - Explain AQL vs. 95%C & 90%R Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B AS 9104/1 - Can anyone briefly explain me what AS 9104/1 calls for? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
arios Flowchart to explain the Medical Device Vigilance Reporting Process wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Is there a form I can use to explain what I'm submitting PPAP for? APQP and PPAP 9
Sidney Vianna The GRI Report or Explain Campaign (Sustainable Development) Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
R Explain about fractional half 2^(k-1) and fractional quarter 2^(k-2) Using Minitab Software 1
A AQL Sample Sizes - Explain how Sample Sizes in an AQL table are calculated AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
L Please Explain Inspection Levels including C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D En 62366:2006 - Can someone explain what EN 62366:2006 covers? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Define vs. Determine vs. Document - Explain ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Calibration vs. Inspection - Please explain the difference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Two Gauges (Gages) - Two measurements correlation I do not know how to explain Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
R How would you explain DoF (Degrees of Freedom) to a non-statistician? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V The GM asked me to explain to the board about AQL (using layman terms). AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
V Can you explain about "QUALITY FOUNDATION" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F Explain the two different methods of coding of categorical predictors Software Quality Assurance 1
V Can you explain about "MATERIAL REVIEW BOARD" (MRB)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
Q REACH - Is it not the same as RoHS /IMDS? Can someone explain? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
B Recommendation for a book to Explain Control Charts Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
R Can you explain Six Sigma to me? Six Sigma 12
A Explain the meaning of 8.2.4 Monitoring and Measurement of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D How to Prove and Explain to Consultant (Internal Auditor) and Manager? Internal Auditing 7
P Criteria for operator's readings at setup - Seeking help to explain chosen limits. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A Theory of Constraints - Can anyone explain something? Six Sigma 6
Gert Sorensen Please explain to me what .asp does Software Quality Assurance 5
C Explain to me the differences between ISO9000 and TQM ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Cpk Help needed - Explain to me where I made a mistake Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Please explain to me in laymans terms how to calculate a single T-test Six Sigma 14
ScottK Can someone explain the marketing behind this ad? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21