Explain to me the differences between ISO9000 and TQM

C

curryassassin

Hi,
Please could you explain to me the difference between ISO9000 and TQM? I know that ISO9000 is a voluntary standard, widley applied in all types of organisation, and TQM is a 'philosophy' but I think the outcomes of both are the same.

Are they essentially the same initiatives? It seems to me that, if your organisation fully and effectively implements all the requirements of ISO9000, then the management of the quality you produce will be 'total'. Also, from what I understand about TQM, the aspects seem to match those of ISO9000?
Have I oversimplified their intentions?

Many thanks,
Patrick

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

That's a huge question which could deliver all sorts of responses, but essentially I would say they are the same in that they have the same purpose and objectives, in a nutshell continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.

Interestingly there was an ISO standard (cant remember the reference) on TQM written some years ago which bears many resemblances to the 'new' ISO9001:2000, for those that were used to ISO9001:1994 the similarity was remarkable.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi,
Please could you explain to me the difference between ISO9000 and TQM? I know that ISO9000 is a voluntary standard, widley applied in all types of organisation, and TQM is a 'philosophy' but I think the outcomes of both are the same.

Are they essentially the same initiatives? It seems to me that, if your organisation fully and effectively implements all the requirements of ISO9000, then the management of the quality you produce will be 'total'. Also, from what I understand about TQM, the aspects seem to match those of ISO9000?

Many thanks,
Patrick
All of the currently popular programs, ISO 9001, Six Sigma, Lean, Toyota, Baldrige, etc., are based on the same principles of quality improvement. They may approach it from different approaches, and focus and emphasize different angles, but they have much in common.

The key to quality improvement is not some secret new gimmick, it is applied science and management. It takes consistent effort, but it works. It is like an exercise program for business.

tyker

Involved - Posts
That's a huge question which could deliver all sorts of responses, but essentially I would say they are the same in that they have the same purpose and objectives, in a nutshell continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.

Interestingly there was an ISO standard (cant remember the reference) on TQM written some years ago which bears many resemblances to the 'new' ISO9001:2000, for those that were used to ISO9001:1994 the similarity was remarkable.
Are you thinking of BS 7850-1:1992? Not an ISO but covers TQM.
It's still listed as current by BSI but at £58!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hi,

Many thanks,
Patrick
Hey there Patrick! IMHO, ISO is the method/framework for achieving Total Quality Management. TQM is the general notion of operating the entire organization with quality in mind. Developing an effective quality system within the ISO framework will facilitate that goal.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

Many thanks,
Patrick

A couple of points:
  • You are right when you said TQM is a philosophy - it had a great deal of popularity in the 1980s when people tried to apply "quality" tools and techniques to all aspects of an organization's operation (including many of the areas that aren't covered by a traditional ISO system).
  • ISO 9001 is a standard set of requirements for a quality management system. As such, particularly in relation to certification, it is often seen as a minimum standard that an organization has to meet. By contrast TQM focuses on achievement of perfection (Right first time, Zero defects)
  • To paraphrase: "TQM is in the eye of the beholder"

Some organizations apply ISO 9001 across all their departments - there are some notable Total Company Registrations here in the UK where some blue chip organizations have applied ISO across the piece.

Some of the good changes to bring ISO up to the 2000 edition mirror the good principles of Total Quality - particularly in using process measures, objectives and targets but, as you will see even from this enlightened bunch on the Cove ;), there is little agreement even over ISO 9001 requirements, never mind if you allow total freedom of approach into a structure-free Total Quality programme.

C

curryassassin

and knowing which ones or which parts of one will help your own organisation ($64,000 question).
Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc LCD vs. Plasma - Anyone want to explain the differences? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
D A2LA vs. NADCAP - Could someone explain the differences? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Definition Technical Files - Please explain differences and what information would be included Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 23
J Process vs. Function - Could someone explain the differences in simple terms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me EU Medical Device Regulations 67
R Explain what "design change" is to people new to the industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E IATF 16949 Clause of 8.4.3 - Approvals - Can you explain to me IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Definition QUALITY 4.0 - Somebody here could explain the meaning of Quality 4.0? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Help trying to explain accuracy procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Can anybody explain h.2 equation of GUM? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Class III Sampling Plan - Explain AQL vs. 95%C & 90%R Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B AS 9104/1 - Can anyone briefly explain me what AS 9104/1 calls for? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Please Explain Clause 8.3 in ISO 9001:2008 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
arios Flowchart to explain the Medical Device Vigilance Reporting Process wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Is there a form I can use to explain what I'm submitting PPAP for? APQP and PPAP 9
Sidney Vianna The GRI Report or Explain Campaign (Sustainable Development) Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
P EN ISO vs. ISO - Please explain to me EN ISO vs. ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
R ISO 9001 and ISO 9004 - Can somebody briefly explain their difference? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Explain about fractional half 2^(k-1) and fractional quarter 2^(k-2) Using Minitab Software 1
A AQL Sample Sizes - Explain how Sample Sizes in an AQL table are calculated AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
L Please Explain Inspection Levels including C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D En 62366:2006 - Can someone explain what EN 62366:2006 covers? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Define vs. Determine vs. Document - Explain ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Calibration vs. Inspection - Please explain the difference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Two Gauges (Gages) - Two measurements correlation I do not know how to explain Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
R How would you explain DoF (Degrees of Freedom) to a non-statistician? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V The GM asked me to explain to the board about AQL (using layman terms). AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
V Can you explain about "QUALITY FOUNDATION" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F Explain the two different methods of coding of categorical predictors Software Quality Assurance 1
V Can you explain about "MATERIAL REVIEW BOARD" (MRB)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
Q REACH - Is it not the same as RoHS /IMDS? Can someone explain? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
B Recommendation for a book to Explain Control Charts Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
R Can you explain Six Sigma to me? Six Sigma 12
A Explain the meaning of 8.2.4 Monitoring and Measurement of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D How to Prove and Explain to Consultant (Internal Auditor) and Manager? Internal Auditing 7
P Criteria for operator's readings at setup - Seeking help to explain chosen limits. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A Theory of Constraints - Can anyone explain something? Six Sigma 6
Gert Sorensen Please explain to me what .asp does Software Quality Assurance 5
S Cpk Help needed - Explain to me where I made a mistake Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8