Explain to me the differences between ISO9000 and TQM

C

curryassassin

Hi,
Please could you explain to me the difference between ISO9000 and TQM? I know that ISO9000 is a voluntary standard, widley applied in all types of organisation, and TQM is a 'philosophy' but I think the outcomes of both are the same.

Are they essentially the same initiatives? It seems to me that, if your organisation fully and effectively implements all the requirements of ISO9000, then the management of the quality you produce will be 'total'. Also, from what I understand about TQM, the aspects seem to match those of ISO9000?
Have I oversimplified their intentions?

Many thanks,
Patrick

M

M Greenaway

That's a huge question which could deliver all sorts of responses, but essentially I would say they are the same in that they have the same purpose and objectives, in a nutshell continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.

Interestingly there was an ISO standard (cant remember the reference) on TQM written some years ago which bears many resemblances to the 'new' ISO9001:2000, for those that were used to ISO9001:1994 the similarity was remarkable.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi,
Please could you explain to me the difference between ISO9000 and TQM? I know that ISO9000 is a voluntary standard, widley applied in all types of organisation, and TQM is a 'philosophy' but I think the outcomes of both are the same.

Are they essentially the same initiatives? It seems to me that, if your organisation fully and effectively implements all the requirements of ISO9000, then the management of the quality you produce will be 'total'. Also, from what I understand about TQM, the aspects seem to match those of ISO9000?

Many thanks,
Patrick

All of the currently popular programs, ISO 9001, Six Sigma, Lean, Toyota, Baldrige, etc., are based on the same principles of quality improvement. They may approach it from different approaches, and focus and emphasize different angles, but they have much in common.

The key to quality improvement is not some secret new gimmick, it is applied science and management. It takes consistent effort, but it works. It is like an exercise program for business.

T

tyker

That's a huge question which could deliver all sorts of responses, but essentially I would say they are the same in that they have the same purpose and objectives, in a nutshell continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.

Interestingly there was an ISO standard (cant remember the reference) on TQM written some years ago which bears many resemblances to the 'new' ISO9001:2000, for those that were used to ISO9001:1994 the similarity was remarkable.

Are you thinking of BS 7850-1:1992? Not an ISO but covers TQM.
It's still listed as current by BSI but at £58!

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hi,

Many thanks,
Patrick

Hey there Patrick! IMHO, ISO is the method/framework for achieving Total Quality Management. TQM is the general notion of operating the entire organization with quality in mind. Developing an effective quality system within the ISO framework will facilitate that goal.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

Many thanks,
Patrick

A couple of points:
  • You are right when you said TQM is a philosophy - it had a great deal of popularity in the 1980s when people tried to apply "quality" tools and techniques to all aspects of an organization's operation (including many of the areas that aren't covered by a traditional ISO system).
  • ISO 9001 is a standard set of requirements for a quality management system. As such, particularly in relation to certification, it is often seen as a minimum standard that an organization has to meet. By contrast TQM focuses on achievement of perfection (Right first time, Zero defects)
  • To paraphrase: "TQM is in the eye of the beholder"

Some organizations apply ISO 9001 across all their departments - there are some notable Total Company Registrations here in the UK where some blue chip organizations have applied ISO across the piece.

Some of the good changes to bring ISO up to the 2000 edition mirror the good principles of Total Quality - particularly in using process measures, objectives and targets but, as you will see even from this enlightened bunch on the Cove ;), there is little agreement even over ISO 9001 requirements, never mind if you allow total freedom of approach into a structure-free Total Quality programme.

C

curryassassin

and knowing which ones or which parts of one will help your own organisation ($64,000 question).
Thanks.

Top Bottom