Explaining what a Quality Administrator does and Ballooning Prints

Joeem

Involved In Discussions
How would you describe to someone, who knows nothing of what ISO means or what goes on in an aerospace company to create a part, why a blueprint is ballooned, an Inspection Method Sheet is created, or why any other paperwork that may go with a "job" is necessary?

Does anyone else "balloon" blueprints? I know why I do basically, but when I have to explain to someone who knows nothing of why anything is done, when quality is NOT the beginning of the process of a job, it's difficult.

Any input is appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Explaining what a Quality Administrator does...

We balloon BPs because it is used to identify the characteristics of the First Article Inspection (FAI) report. Nothing that I know requires that a BP be "ballooned" unless the customer specifically wants it that way.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

Hi Joeem - I'm not sure where you are going with this...
Do you have a situation where you are trying to train someone? Are you trying to justify your job? Create awareness?

Joeem

Involved In Discussions

I have to some what train someone who may be in charge of signing my checks one day. They won't be taking my job, but it's to give them an idea of what goes on and why things are done. Also, it may help in the future they can't decide to get rid of ballooning, because they'll know the purpose of it. So in a way, I guess I am justifying my job also.

I hope that makes sense.

R

R. Webb

The general approach I use is to number the dimensions from the upper left, go around each feature in a clockwise manner - first the outside of the part then the inside. Then I go to the next feature in the same clockwise manner. I stopped circling the numbers as it took too long - instead I use a felt pen with a thicker tip - unless the dimensions are really close together. In that case I use a fine tipped pen and use arrows to point the dimensions if it is not clear. I also try and use a dark blue ink in case anyone mistakes my handwritng for a print font (not likely) and my original is apparent. So far no one has complained.

What I find frustrating is that some customers will number the print after I have and of course the sequence is not the same so when talking about dimension 15 you have to ask - "Your place or mine?"

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I have to some what train someone who may be in charge of signing my checks one day. They won't be taking my job, but it's to give them an idea of what goes on and why things are done. Also, it may help in the future they can't decide to get rid of ballooning, because they'll know the purpose of it. So in a way, I guess I am justifying my job also.

I hope that makes sense.
I see.
The best way I can think of is to map the process of creating a specification and show where your specialty is needed.
Mark and Coury have explained balloonning and the reasons for it.
No you have to expalin why it's necessary... start with your procedures/SOP's and hilight each responsibility that is yours and show that you are the process owner of creating the Inspection Method Sheet and why that sheet is required.

I just came out of a machine shop type manufacturer where ballooning was used to call out critical dimensions that had to be monitored during the run. These were used to create the inspection sheets the operators use and the SPC setup as well as final inspection when necessary.
When we did a FAI submission to a medical device company, for example, these were the dimensions that were used for the capability studies.

But definately start by going to your documented procedures first and see where your function is called out.

A

alspread

AS9102 Aerospace First Article Requirement specifies that every design characteristic shall have its own unique identifier.

This requirement goes way back to the earliest versions of the first article requirement and was (and still is) the primary method for assuring characteristic accountability.

It used to happen (and still should) that a QE or administrator would number every design characteristic and create a list of all of the requirements very early in the product/job life cycle. As the manufacturing process was developed and dimensions were incoporated into the operations, one could check off that the dimension was in fact ACCOUNTED for within the process somewhere. This assured that no dimensions or design characteristics were inadvertently omitted from the process. at the end of the process one would expect to see an operation number or some other indicator on every feature and be assured that every requirement was in the process some where.

Good Luck

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
I might add that I would expect a marked up (ballooned) print at the contract review stage when building to someone else's print. I've seen contracts accepted where the tolerances couldn't be held (60%+ scrap anyone?). Bottom line was a bad contract review process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Explaining Failures of Quality Control to the General Public Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
K Can anyone recommend some good book explaining ISO/TS 16949 requirements? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 9
A Explaining ISO 9001 to our Hourly Associates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
W Help explaining the need for the Process Approach AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Help explaining LPA (Layered Process Audits) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K Explaining Gaps in Employment History Career and Occupation Discussions 56
A Explaining the need for Monitoring Revision Levels of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Supplier CA Request - Do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
K Explaining to Upper Management how ISO 13485 helps a Business Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
2 Selling and Explaining Six Sigma to Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
1 TS16949 vs. TPS (Toyota Production System) - Explaining the differences IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
V Control of Non Conforming Product procedure explaining the process for approval Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
J Help explaining which procedures to include as part of QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L What do you do? Explaining to those who have no idea what you do Career and Occupation Discussions 17
V How can I start explaining and training SPC in my company? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C Supplier Audit - Looking for a quality audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Quality Manager and Production Manager Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
FRA 2 FDA Product NCRs- Quality Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
CaliperJim Cost of Quality calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Cats Clause Certified Quality Systems Ltd (CQS) accredited by International Accreditation Board Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T Quality toolbox decision tree Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Sidney Vianna A young Steve Jobs take on Quality, Marketing & Business Processes. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
hogheavenfarm Free Quality Professional Books Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 11
T Stellantis supplier quality manual Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
lyobovnik Work From Home Exception for Quality Managers? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Who is performing quality control? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
R Quality policy review document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T ISO quality system software such as MQ1 (which is what we currently use) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Quality 'Engagement' Effort Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Q Quality role Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
bobdoering Is your quality department having a "No Chili" day? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
E Compressed air quality in ME equipment (used in OR) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
A API Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Quality Policy Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Language of quality system in case of FDA inspection US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Quality Awareness 7.3 ISO 9001-2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Quality Engineering Long Term Career Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M Quality Management-ISO 9001:2015 General Auditing Discussions 1
M UDI barcode quality EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Quality planning sign-off in AIAG APQP Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Creating a Quality culture! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Root cause for lack of quality objectives for HSE Dept. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
V Quality Manager Reporting US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0