Export & Import of Unapproved Device in USA for Service Purpose Only

N

nzinzuwadia

Hello Cove members,

I have a hypothetical scenario and need your help to address it:

If a Medical device firm has an approved device in Canada but not in USA, can this device be imported into USA for Service purpose only i.e. to say if the device malfunctions at the end-user facility in Canada, will it be possible for the service/distributor firm in USA to legally bring the device into USA and repair the device and return to the end-user?

Is it possible for a firm to export an unapproved device (in USA) to another country (legally approved) and does it fall under section 801(e) (1) of the FD&C act?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Regarding (a), I think you'll have to ask FDA, maybe starting by calling DSMICA. I don't think that question is documented.

Regarding (b), it's a complicated question. Among other things, it matters to what country you want to export. Some relevant amendments to the law are discussed in a guidance at http ://www .fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/FederalFoodDrugandCosmeticActFDCAct/SignificantAmendmentstotheFDCAct/ucm148005.htm - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Import-Export of Medical Device components into the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 24
Y Certificate of Exportability (Section 802) - Import for Export Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
G Import to Export through a Distributor - Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Medical Device Import/Export Translation Requirements for each country EU Medical Device Regulations 25
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Seeking sample quality objective(s) for IMPEX (Import / Export) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Can a US manufacturer put export only products on a CFG? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
J US Manufacturer of Export Only Exempt Products applying for CFG 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D US Made class I CE Mark product for export only to EU Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Are we required to obtain a Certificate of Free Sales for export to China? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
G Medical Device export Shipping documents for US, EU and Asia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T U.S. Export of Medical Device to Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
K Medical Device Listing for 801(e) Export of Uncleared 510(k)able Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
M Diversified Data Systems OpenMETRIC software Data Export Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
C US manufacturer of export only devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P Sampling QC Requirements for Medical Electrical Device Export to Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
S What are export requirements for Class I/II Medical Devices in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Equivalent CE for export to Japan - Stand exibition with LED lights CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K One time export to Saudi Arabia: SFDA and MDMA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Options to export into the EU without a CE Mark (?) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Ronen E CDRH Export Certification and Tracking System launched Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Bulgarian regulatory requirements for export of class IIb medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Medical Device Export to India - Electronic Transmission Only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R These countries require ISO/TS16949 or ISO9001 to General Motors Mexico to export? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Technology Control Plan with regards to Export Controlled Data Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
P Impact to Japan's medical device export after the nuclear power accident Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
T Export "Simple Notification" required by the FDA under Section 802 of the Act Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Export to Poland - CE Mark for Poland to export eletrical home device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L What is the/a Number of the German Export List or Negative Statement Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
I Export Medical Device to Canada - Software for research use only Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
R Export some dates from an excel spreadsheet - EXCEL Question Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
A Export - We would like to sell our products to various United States installations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Export Ambulance CAR to EU country - which EU directive is applicable? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) - Export control procedure. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
Ajit Basrur CDSCO Guidelines for Port Officers on Imp and Export of Drugs & Cosmetics Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
chris1price Export of Medical Devices to Iran - Medical Device Regulations in Iran ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
I PRG format saved in PCDMIS PRO V4.2 can't export to CATIA V5R16 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Regulatory requirements for export of Medical Devices to Thailand, Australia and US ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A What is required to export Class I (non exempt) 510(k) approved product to Mexico ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O Export Of Approved Canadian Medical Devices - What export certs are needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Change in address on ERLM US FDA: Implications to import US Medical Device Regulations 0
E Import requirements in UK? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
M Can you import medical device not FDA approved into the USA under an IND application? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Best country to import medical devices into Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
A Import a MD Class IIa in the EU from China EU Medical Device Regulations 11
T Brexit Transition Arrangements & Import into the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0