Extensive Quality Manual Changes

wooden nickle

Involved In Discussions
Change in management has required an extensive rewrite to the QM. My question is; Do we have to submit this dramatically changed manual to our registrar prior to releasing it internally?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
IF you are referring to ISO 9001 requirements: You can make all the changes you want and issue the new quality manual, but you will have to notify your registrar. They will probably want a copy - It's their call, though.

I have been through it and typically a phone call does it unless you make significant changes in which case they will probably want a copy to review.

You say you have made "significant" changes. Call your registrar contact and have a chat. If your quality manual is the only document in your system which has changed, it probably will not be a big deal. But - If you have made changes which flow down and cause changes to lower level documents, such as procedures, the impact of the changes may be important.

Also remember - A "Quality Manual" is no longer a requirement as of ISO 9001:2015.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In addition to what Marc described, the agreement you have in place with your CB should have stipulated that any significant change in the certified management system to be communicated to them.

ISO 17021, which applies to the CB, requires that. Explicitly mentioned in the type of changes that should be communicated to the CB include organization and management changes.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for pointing that out, Sidney. My mind was thinking ISO 9001 and since the original poster didn't specify I was very negligent in my reply. I apologize. :bonk:

Typically aspects of requirements such as ISO 17025 are communicated to the customer during the registration process. I think in most regulated industries any changes in documentation, management, etc. must be approved by the registrar first. What the registrar will actually require of you only your registrar can tell you.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Change in management has required an extensive rewrite to the QM. My question is; Do we have to submit this dramatically changed manual to our registrar prior to releasing it internally?
Never heard of a registrar requiring a QM be provided - most of the QM are copy paste of the standard or proprietary.

You can request a special audit if you feel a need for the registrar to review the QM.

Now if you made significant changes to the Quality Management system... (location, addition, change in ownership...) - yes you must contact them.

J

JoShmo

Never heard of a registrar requiring a QM be provided - most of the QM are copy paste of the standard or proprietary.

You can request a special audit if you feel a need for the registrar to review the QM.

Now if you made significant changes to the Quality Management system... (location, addition, change in ownership...) - yes you must contact them.
Unless it's in their (arcane) agreement only registers living in the past do reviews of updates to a manual. I agree with the above.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Unless it's in their (arcane) agreement only registers living in the past do reviews of updates to a manual. I agree with the above.
Pretty much every audit I've done for a CB has included review of QMS changes, either onsite or in pre-audit planning. Every change has some element of risk, and it would be ridiculous to ignore these risks in auditing.

However, there is no requirement that the CB approve quality manual changes before implementation - I hope this is what you meant. In some cases regulatory requirements (i.e. FAA) may require an outside organization to approve changes prior to implementation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q ISO 14971 for Contract Manufacturers - Extensive risk management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Interview with Director of Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 18
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Quality manual for automotive industry wanted Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3