Extent of Recognition of ISO 10993-1

R

regfocus

May I ask a question about the ISO 10993-1:2003, Biological evaluation of medical devices -- Part 1: Evaluation and testing. (Biocompatibility) please? When I go to FDA recognized standard database at

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrIpt...ation_no=26534
It says:
"Extent of Recognition:
Complete standard and any annexes, except Tables 1 and 2"

My question is

1) Does that mean Table 1 and 2 is not acceptable by FDA?
2) If Table 1 and 2 is not acceptable by FDA, how do we know which evaluation tests, such as ISO 10993-5, 10, etc., we should do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
regfocus,

In short, FDA sometimes has a hard time formally recognizing the ISO standards (not created by them I suppose). That being said, they accept test data/summaries based on the guidance for new product submissions and are taking steps to better harmonize globally.

I don't have a copy of the ISO standard with me, but it may be that they haven't been able to corroborate/align with some of the specifics in the tables. My advice is to contact FDA at the number provided/contact provided at the link above to iron out any questions or concerns.

My experience with FDA reviewers is that they are more than willing to give you direction. Setting up a preliminary discussion to iron out the wrinkles is also advisable and will save headaches down the road and speed up approval processes. 15 minutes spent up front will save you tons of time, money and effort.

Regards,

Kevin

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions
regfocus,

In short, FDA sometimes has a hard time formally recognizing the ISO standards (not created by them I suppose). That being said, they accept test data/summaries based on the guidance for new product submissions and are taking steps to better harmonize globally.

I don't have a copy of the ISO standard with me, but it may be that they haven't been able to corroborate/align with some of the specifics in the tables. My advice is to contact FDA at the number provided/contact provided at the link above to iron out any questions or concerns.

My experience with FDA reviewers is that they are more than willing to give you direction. Setting up a preliminary discussion to iron out the wrinkles is also advisable and will save headaches down the road and speed up approval processes. 15 minutes spent up front will save you tons of time, money and effort.

Regards,

Kevin
Hi Kev,

You are right on the money, as usual. Discussion with the FDA rep. will save a lot of efforts. By the way, ISO 10993 is one of the few standards that FDA is formally recognized...

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Mike,

The time saved with a pre-sell and with FDA guidance was very valuable. It is much easier preparing a submission when the reader has given you their input. It is very easy to get caught up on documenting all the technical jargon but more important that it doesn't end up clouding the message. Their time and your time are valuable, so tailoring submission material helps out everyone.

Good to see you at the Cove after a spell away (for us both?).

Kev

Qara123

Involved In Discussions
May I ask a question about the ISO 10993-1:2003, Biological evaluation of medical devices -- Part 1: Evaluation and testing. (Biocompatibility) please? When I go to FDA recognized standard database at

http: // www. accessdata.fda.gov/scrIpt...ation_no=26534 - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED - PLEASE HELP - REPORT POSTS WITH BROKEN LINKS
It says:
"Extent of Recognition:
Complete standard and any annexes, except Tables 1 and 2"

My question is

1) Does that mean Table 1 and 2 is not acceptable by FDA?
2) If Table 1 and 2 is not acceptable by FDA, how do we know which evaluation tests, such as ISO 10993-5, 10, etc., we should do?
FDA modified Tables 1 & 2, see the Blue Book Memo G95-1. Specifically, " [FONT=&quot]FDA has made several modifications to the testing required by ISO 10993-Part 1. These modifications are required for the category of surface devices permanently contacting mucosal membranes (e.g., IUDs). The ISO standard would not require acute, sub-chronic, chronic toxicity and implantation tests. Also, for externally communicating devices, tissue/bone/dentin with prolonged and permanent contact (e.g., dental cements, filling materials etc.), the ISO standard does not require irritation, systemic toxicity, acute, sub-chronic and chronic toxicity tests. Therefore, FDA has included these types of tests in the matrix"

Blue Book Memo G95-1 - http :// www .fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/ucm080735.htm - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED - PLEASE HELP - REPORT POSTS WITH BROKEN LINKS

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R FDA recognition standard - Extent of Recognition 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Extent of 2017/745: providing 3rd party mass produced devices to NHS patients EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M SI #7 8.4.2.1 Type and extent of control_supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
DuncanGibbons To what extent are NASA standards applicable to commercial aviation? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
B Documented process for type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Complying with IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.1 - Type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.5 - Supplier Development Type and Extent IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Extent of Product Traceability Required by ISO 13485 (Low Level Class I Devices) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V What are the criteria for determining extent of requalification (hardware upgrade) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Definition Insubordination in Organizations - Definition, extent; vis-a-vis employee's rights. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
E Extent of modification to be considered as Modified Adoption Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
L Can Extent of Documentation differ due to the Competence of Personnel? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M TS 16949 Cause 7.4.1: Type of Control vs. Extent of Control (Definitions) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R 820.50 (A) (2)Define the Type and Extent of Control to be exercised over Vendor Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P Risk Management - To what extent is Risk Management required by AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
A Extent of Gage R&R necessary on two Digital Height Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Extent of information required in COC (aka C of C and Certificate of Conformance) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O Information on the extent of Statistics in the Six Sigma Green Belt Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
T Raw Material Verification - AS9100 Rev. B - 7.4.3 - To what extent must a company go? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Traceability SOP Audit Finding - SOP does not describe the extent of the traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Extent of Site manager (SM) Commitment - Upper Management issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna Outsourced Processes - Type and Extent of Control to be Applied - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
F Need help about being more socialized - Hard to fit into my groups to some extent Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Document Control Database - To what extent do document control requirements apply? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C To what extent should ppap be repeated according to the European Union ELV? APQP and PPAP 3
G Document Control - Extent of Responsibility Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
F Controlled Forms - To what extent do forms need to be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 41
J To what extent does Emergency Prepardness need to be extended Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
Y Switzerland and EU Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) - What to do? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S CTS/CSE Waveforms Testing - Partial Recognition of IEC 60601-2-25 Standard by FDA IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational USFDA – FDA Modernization Act of 1997: Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 051 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News FDA news 14-09-18 - Recognition and Withdrawal of Voluntary Consensus Standards Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J GLP recognition via SCC (Standards Council of Canada) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
E Recognition of Certification Body Reports in different Countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Z What to write on A3 Methodology Recognition Certificates? Six Sigma 2
H Recognition of and Transition to IEC 60601-1 3rd Edition in Korea IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition: 4th edition for ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 97
G Minitab GLM (General Linear Model) - Problem with recognition of Level Using Minitab Software 1
K Recognition of team members in ways other than money? Customer Complaints 5
Ronen E Updates to FDA standards recognition - Aug 2012 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D FDA Small Business Designation and Affiliates - Recognition of Small Business Status US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2