Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

External ISO 14001 Audit in a Distribution Center

Q

QC JEWEL

Hi, I just started working in a distribution center in US, on march we will have an ISO 14001 audit from Intertek, I have asked to help with the ISO 14001 audit preparation so we are ready for the audit, I have read some procedure but most of them are focused in the manufacturing plant which is in Mexico, please advise what do I need to verify in my location (Distribution center) to make sure that we will pass the audit, What the intertek audit will be looking for? Any ideas I appreciate.....
I have experience in ISOTS16949 and iso 9000 but never related with ISO 14001.... Please give some ideas so I can figure out how to start in the Distribution center.
thanks
Jewel

Randy

Super Moderator
Well Jewel, I hate to be the negative, bad guy, but I would be dishonest if I didn't share this with you....If you have to prepare then you already have a problem because preparation for the audit means that the system has not been effectively maintained.....

ISO 14001, clause 4.1 states "The organization shall establish, document, implement, maintain and continually improve an environmental management system in accordance with the requirements of this International Standard and determine how it will fulfill these requirements."

How can you start? Do a good solid audit, identify whats wrong, missing, isn't working, generate relevant nonconformaties, and initiate corrective action....NOW!!!

Q

QC JEWEL

Well Jewel, I hate to be the negative, bad guy, but I would be dishonest if I didn't share this with you....If you have to prepare then you already have a problem because preparation for the audit means that the system has not been effectively maintained.....

ISO 14001, clause 4.1 states "The organization shall establish, document, implement, maintain and continually improve an environmental management system in accordance with the requirements of this International Standard and determine how it will fulfill these requirements."

How can you start? Do a good solid audit, identify whats wrong, missing, isn't working, generate relevant nonconformaties, and initiate corrective action....NOW!!!
Thanks Randy...

Do you (or somebody else) have a checklist or a guide about what to look for in the enviroment system, I'm familiar with document control, records, etc., what I'm not familiar if with the aspect stuff, e.g. there is a emergency plan for this distribution center, do i need to audit it? ... There is a layout about spill kits, should i audit that kits are in place? etc., etc., please advise... Jewel....:(:eek:

Randy

Super Moderator
Thanks Randy...

Do you (or somebody else) have a checklist or a guide about what to look for in the enviroment system, I'm familiar with document control, records, etc., what I'm not familiar if with the aspect stuff, e.g. there is a emergency plan for this distribution center, do i need to audit it? ... There is a layout about spill kits, should i audit that kits are in place? etc., etc., please advise... Jewel....:(:eek:
The absolutely best checklist to use is:
# 1 the 14001 standard itself...Just put all the requirements into individual questions. (Now if you've already had one in place and registered this should be as easy as saying "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious")

Then.................

#2 - Verify that you are following your own procedures, working on objectives (they had better be current) and all that other good stuff (another type of checklist...Turn all the procedures into questions)

#3 - Do a complete evaluation of compliance, or have it done for you (clause 4.5.2 stuff)

#4 - Make sure that every place where your procedures say you will document, record, measure, & monitor you can prove and show that you do.

Top Bottom