External Standard Services

Hi All,

I am wanting to look into utilizing a service like TechStreet or IHS to manage the external standards my company uses. In the service we currently have, we only have access to the documents that we purchase individually and pay a yearly fee for each one. There are lots of limitations with this such as with IPC standards we can only get single user pdf or paper copies of. These are hard to manage and we have a wide range of people across multiple sites that need to reference them.

Ideally I'd like a service where we can pay for access to all standards from a given publisher (ISO, IPC, IEEE, ASTM, for example) so if something new comes up we don't have to go thru the song and dance of getting it ordered and added to our list of external standards, etc.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these services and can give an idea of how they work and a rough order of magnitude of what they cost. I'm trying to avoid getting sales people involved until I have a better idea if this is something we want to actively pursue. Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Hi All,

I am wanting to look into utilizing a service like TechStreet or IHS to manage the external standards my company uses.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with these services and can give an idea of how they work and a rough order of magnitude of what they cost. I'm trying to avoid getting sales people involved until I have a better idea if this is something we want to actively pursue. Thanks!
Good day @JasnahKholin ;
It has been approx 12 years since I was engaged with it but yes, for numerous years my organizations did indeed use (specifically IHS) a subscription service. Loved it. The way it worked was (I assume it still is), we simply signed up for the subscription service and then selected all the standards applicable to us. Whenever any of those standards were updated, IHS would notify us. We could then select to "purchase" or "ignore".

The subscription cost at that time was extremely reasonable (cheap even).

Summary: I think you'll like it and I certainly recommend it.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Even if you use this service, you will still have to do a periodic review of external standards to ensure you have the correct ones in your library. There are new standards all the time, and these services do not pick up on this.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Even if you use this service, you will still have to do a periodic review of external standards to ensure you have the correct ones in your library. There are new standards all the time, and these services do not pick up on this.
Not sure I understand the point @indubioush ....
* you will still have to do a periodic review of external standards - Why ?
* There are new standards all the time, and these services do not pick up on this - Are you referring to revised or truly "new" standards. In regard to revised, then a subscription such as IHS that is being discussed will indeed notify them if a revision occurs (that is the point of the subscription).

If, however, you are referring to "new" standards that apply to his/her organization (such as when a new OEM drawing is released referencing any standard that organization has not owned/utilized before ), then you are absolutely correct . Their system will need to ensure as part of feasibility review, activity, that the newly introduced standards are part of the review as applicable and, as new business is added, that necessary standards are procured and added to their library.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

The subscription cost at that time was extremely reasonable (cheap even).
Do you recall roughly what the service cost? Unfortunately I don't think that I can get management to even look at it unless it will offer a cost savings over what we currently use which is a little over 11k per year, but is increasing rapidly every year because of the increasing number of standards we reference.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Do you recall roughly what the service cost? Unfortunately I don't think that I can get management to even look at it unless it will offer a cost savings over what we currently use which is a little over 11k per year, but is increasing rapidly every year because of the increasing number of standards we reference.
What ?....$11k annually ?
Are you part of an extremely large organization and speaking of the document/standard purchasing budget as a whole or just the subscription/monitoring service? (I'm curious how it is possible to spend that amount annually simply maintaining current standard revisions)

If my memory serves me correctly, the IHS document revision monitoring subscription was in the HUNDREDs of USD annually.
(this does not include the cost of any documents/standards that you purchase, but even then, considering many standards are in the $100~$500 USD range I struggle to understand an annual expenditure of $11k)

Are we speaking of the same thing? Please help me understand better. Thank you.

Be well

OK so with the service we use currently we pay an initial fee for each standard that we purchase from them and basically we purchase a license to view the standard online thru their portal. We also pay a yearly "subscription" fee for each standard that is currently in our library, that is where the 11K/year comes from. We have over 60 standards managed in this system, must a few dozen others which are paper or individually licensed paper copies that we also have to keep track of. These are mostly IPC standards which we can't get site licenses for through our current service.

Hopefully this clarifies things a little?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Thanks @JasnahKholin ;
Man,,....60 is probably a similar amount of standards that I had on subscription and we certainly spent no where close to that $11k amount.

Most standards that are purchased for "on-line" access only (I currently "own" a few that way) are a one-time payment...and the one's that I purchased that way are less than $250 USD each, so I'm really struggling to understand the exorbitant cost.

Maybe someone else here on the Cove can weigh in ?

Be well.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
with the service we use currently
So you are already using a service. I just want to add a note from personal experience. I have managed external standards for a long time, and have done a cost comparison more than once on joining a service/subscription or just buying standards individually. Buying standards individually has won each time. Using Techstreet Tracker is free. You get an email notifying you about a standard revision, and you then buy it from any website you want. However, I see that you may be in a bind with strict license requirements that IPC imposes on its standards. Still, I agree with John that 11k seems like a lot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ashok sunder How to determine the internal and external issues in ISO 45001 standard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
T External Standard Update Notification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Is Internal and external audit of Account Department applicable to any ISO standard Internal Auditing 5
L Review and analysis of external standards - When to buy a new standard Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J State of the Art for Documents of External Origin ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Recommended software to send Quality scorecards to suppliers (external providers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Logistic/shipping companies as external providers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J External third party audits Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Requirement for Retention of Records of Withdrawn Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
C ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
qualprod The Perfect audit? External Audit causes a significant negative impact in a company General Auditing Discussions 9
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
R Do we need to treat local law as external origin documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Applicability of Means of Protection, working voltage in an Automated External Defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D Necessity of external watchdog next to internal watchdog ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
P AS9120B Control of External Providers for Franchised Distribution AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Tools and equipment provided by customer - Considered as external provider? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S ISO9001:2015 Clause 9.1 - What the external auditor will look at? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
H External power supply - requirements in safety/EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4