Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Facilities and Tooling Mgt. 4.2.6

L

Lyndon Diong

How do we evaluate the effectiveness of existing operations and processes? I am not aware of the methods that are available. Thanks

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
You start off by showing evidence of your planning throughout the APQP process.

To comply with "...evaluating the efectiveness of existing operations and processes..." you look to various 'control' systems. Tracking of output is one. Tracking scrap is another. Look to measureables your company or facility has established to monitor trends and problems. You are constantly (well, to some degree) evaluating what's happening. This is linked to continuous improvement where you are 'constantly' looking at measureables and operations and products and seeking ways to improve the product and processes.

So - look to your measureables and see what you have. Remember there will be different departments contributing. Manufacturing, of course, will have certain measurables. Materials will probably answer questions about "...storage and buffer inventory levels..."
and such. HR will probably have input.

Let us know what you do.

Any others have some help / ideas for compliance here?

R

Roger Eastin

I think this evaluation also includes some "classical" IE stuff such as ergonomic considerations, optimized product flow through the process, etc.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Yes, Roger, you are correct. On the other hand:
"...evaluating the efectiveness of existing operations and processes..."
But how does one evaluate ergonomic issues? For example I believe it is Honda which considers more than 4 moves per assembler as potentially problematic but I have no idea how to evaluate this. Any ideas?

R

Roger Eastin

I am no Frederick Taylor, but I think there are standard metrics for optimizing (minimizing)the number of moves per operator. Also, there are work flow metrics which focus on product flow effectiveness. I think these are standard IE metrics, but I'm sure there are some budding IE's out there who could steer me straight!

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I guess the question here is how far a company has to go. I find it hard to believe, for example, that 50% of the companies out there do 'significant' ergonomic studies and I'll bet even less do monitoring for evidence of EFFECTIVENESS.

Do any of you do anything like this (tracking and evaluation for effectiveness of ergonimics)?

W

wanida

Could it be possible to monitor through the development and plan to reduce injury, pain, and/or operator leave caused by ergonomic matter? The effectiveness might be evaluate through the success of plan.

The "Toyota Production System" philosophy has helped me a lot in this element of QS9000.
Also, Arvin Industries is a great company to benchmark. They can be found on the Internet.They have implemented a system called "ATQPS".

W

wanida

Sam
Could you please give us the web site/address of Arvin or the TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM you mentioned. This could be very helpful.

Top Bottom