FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question

B

BatteryMan

Hi All, :bigwave:

I'm new here. Great site! Tons of valuable info.

I have a question regarding AS9102 Form2. I'm not sure I really understand what's being asked for in sections 5 & 6.

Summary: We build custom battery assemblies. We've just started a new project and our customer, in the aerospace industry, is requiring a FAI per AS9102.

Assembly is made of: 1)Battery Cell 2)Contact Block 3)Kapton Tape
We list all of these components on Form1, sections 15 & 16

Assembly procedure:
1) Trim Battery tabs to spec. length
2) Align Battery Tabs with Contact Blocks per customer drawing
3) Weld Contact Blocks to Battery Tabs
4) Cover Blocks and Bat. Tabs with Kapton Tape, leaving a small potion exposed

What do I put on Form2?!? The welding is done to our internal specifications and I'm not aware of any other specifications which would cover it.

I feel like I'm missing something easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

andygr

Re: FAI per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question

On form 2 section 5 and 6 you would enter the materials used and the spec or document you purchased them to.
When covering a process such as welding where you work to an internal spec insted of an industry or customer spec you would list your internal spec as the controling document. Make sure that you include the revision.
Just lists the parts and then all the applicable special process you perform on that part.

Of course the question comes up what process are special. You customer is the final authority but for aerospace use the Nadcap listing as a start.
:2cents:

Frank T.

Involved in Discussions

Lets start by saying welcome to the cove. :bigwave:

Form 2, numbers 5 and 6, as per stated in AS9102A

5) (CR) Material or Process: Enter the name of material or process.

6) (CR) Specification: Enter material or process specifications number (include permitted
alternates, if used), class, and material form (e.g., sheet, bar, etc.). Include all
“Make From” materials that are incorporated into the FAI part. For raw materials,
include all materials that are incorporated into the FAI part, (e.g., weld/braze filler
materials, balls for ball brazing, etc.), and Standard Catalog hardware (e.g., AN,
MS fasteners); but do not include processing materials such as acid etchants.

Hope this gives you an idea......

B

BatteryMan

Thanks andygr and Frank T.,:agree1:

I think I understand now.

I saw an example in a different thread here and what I failed to realize is the Form1 and Form2 examples were different FAI reports. I was trying to correlate the information on the two forms and it wasn't making sense.

Can you tell me if we are required to provide any additional documentation with the FAI report for the parts used? Specification or CofC's or both?

Thanks again!!!
:thanx:

A

andygr

Just enter your CofC' and for special process enter you customers approval code or Nadcap cert number.

Frank T.

Involved in Discussions

Can you tell me if we are required to provide any additional documentation with the FAI report for the parts used? Specification or CofC's or both?

The only additional info. I usually include with the F.A.I. are:

Forms 1,2 and 3
Copy of the material certs., special process certs as well, if applicable.
and marked-up/ballooned drawing.

And last but not least any other documents as required by the customer. If none are required than just whats listed above.

B

BatteryMan

Great info.

Thanks for all the help. :D

B

BatteryMan

o.k., one last question..... :confused:

Again regarding Form 2,

Say we use 2 of the previously mentioned sub-assemblies in the top level assembly. On Form 2, do we list the sub-assemblies or the individual components making up the sub-assemblies?

Are sub-assemblies even to be listed on Form 2?

I guess that's two questions...

Thanks!!! :D

Frank T.

Involved in Discussions

Sub-assemblies are to be listed on Form 1, in the numbers listed below:

15, 16, and 17: This section is required only if the part number in Field 1 is an assembly.

15) (CR) Part Number: Detail or next level sub-assembly part number to be included in the assembly.
16) (CR) Part Name , as shown on the drawing.
17) (CR) Part Serial Number of the part that is installed in the assembly, when applicable.

Form 2 is basically for listing materials or special processes.

Last edited:
K

Kalvelis

If I understand correctly, Sub-Assemblies are not to include added components for a mixed manufacture item (item with added commercial components, this would be a "Detail FAI" and not have sub assembly parts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M FAI AS9102 - What does a First Article Inspection cover? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
U Whether First Article Inspection Report- FAI is mandatory for regular Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
R AS9100 FAI - First Article Inspection to a prior Customers PO AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K FAI (First Article Inspection) vs PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 15
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Q FAI IAW AS9102 - First Article Inspection Documentation Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
D AS9102 B (FAI - First Article Inspection) is Released - October 2014 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A AS9102 First Article Inspection and NC Parts - New FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Delta or Partial FAI (First Article Inspection) - What are the differences? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K FAI (First Article Inspection) using Digital Design Data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G What is meant by FAI (First Article Inspection) and how do we comply? AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
C Inexperienced Mechanical Inspectors and FAI's (First Article Inspection) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L FAI (First Article Inspection) of Prototype Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S FAI (First Article Inspection) during Assembly of Sub-Assemblies Only AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
F Can you reference original FAI (First Article Inspection) after Delta? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R FAI (First Article Inspection) Report Number Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Z AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) - Is a Ballooned Drawing Required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
H FAI (First Article Inspection) Software Recommendations and Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
B AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) per standard or contract? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
L Selling Products Produced before First Article Inspection (FAI) Approval AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Understanding terminology for FAI (First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T FAI (First Article Inspection) - How many parts are measured AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S FAI (First Article Inspection) and Key Characteristics Requirements - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Full or Partial - Changes to NC programming Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J FAI (First Article Inspection) Do as I say not as I do AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Design Characteristics of the FAI (First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P First Article Inspection - FAI for every new product launch AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Incoming Materials First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T First Article Inspection - Is FAI Design Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Measure "TYP" dimensions on a first article inspection (FAI) report? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
I FAI (First Article Inspection) for Bulletproof Glass normally for Autos? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
I FAI (First Article Inspection) for Chemical companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Help needed with brilliantly engineered FAI (First Article Inspection) form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
I FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102A include gen. notes on form 3? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
gard2372 Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI (First Article Inspection) not required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Form example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
A AS9100 Clause 8.2.4.2 - First Article Inspection (FAI) - How do you comply? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
M First Article Acceptance FAI Letter and related Letters of Approval Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
A First Article planning - Is an FAI timeline for the product the same thing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Change the shape of the raw material FAI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P FAI Ballooning ASME Y14.5 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Full or Partial FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9